Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
gets 'em wet
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a ranger bust my balls a bit about my OT's while launching at Folsom(Granite Bay) the other day. Says I need spark arrestors in the pipes and made references to pipes on motorcycles:)sphss Frankly, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I told him I was running water through 'em but that didn't seem to help. I told him I had a set of baffles at home and he ended up being cool and let me out with a warning. He also made references to the tragic boating accident last month. I took that as a sign they were going to start cracking down. Anybody been having problems at Folsom??

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Had a ranger bust my balls a bit about my OT's while launching at Folsom(Granite Bay) the other day. Says I need spark arrestors in the pipes and made references to pipes on motorcycles:)sphss Frankly, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I told him I was running water through 'em but that didn't seem to help. I told him I had a set of baffles at home and he ended up being cool and let me out with a warning. He also made references to the tragic boating accident last month. I took that as a sign they were going to start cracking down. Anybody been having problems at Folsom??
Spark arrestors on your tail pipes??? The only spark arrestors I've ever heard of go on your carbs. Baffles or mufflers on tail pipes. Frankly, I don't think the ranger knew what the hell he was talking about. :)sphss Now I wonder, what does a boat accident have to do with OT exhaust? I think some of these rangers need to go to some sort of boating school so they at least know what they are talking about. Or maybe I better look a little deeper and this is something very new. ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like he just did a visual, and tried to play it off that he knew it all. Did the patrolman do a DB check at idle? just currious

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Sounds like he just did a visual, and tried to play it off that he knew it all. Did the patrolman do a DB check at idle? just currious
He didn't know CHIT!! I checked just to make sure there wasn't something new going on and neither of my boat prod, Berkeley and Rex Marine have ever head of this.

·
gets 'em wet
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I hadn't even started the boat yet. He did nothing but a visual. Not really sure what to think of it 'cause once I got talking to him and explained that I was just running a stock engine, running the headers wet, and was going out for a simple joy ride he changed his tone and let me off the hook. He ended up being cool, but reminded me that I was breaking the law and sort of left it open to be busted at a later time. The simple fact that he got out of the truck just because he saw my boat in the water is what concerns me. I simply do NOT want to run baffles in my headers. I don't think the boat is that loud considering a lot of other bigger boats, stereos, etc. on the lake.

·
gets 'em wet
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He didn't know CHIT!! I checked just to make sure there wasn't something new going on and neither of my boat prod, Berkeley and Rex Marine have ever head of this.

I think he was referring to baffles. He did say "spark arrestor", however, and when I pointed to the "flame arrestor" over the carbs he said that my pipes were the problem not the carburetor. I think he was mixed up. Nonetheless, I don't care what he wants to call it, I don't want to run baffles out there. I have never had a problem out there before, and am worried that it will be an issue now.:mad:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think he was referring to baffles. He did say "spark arrestor", however, and when I pointed to the "flame arrestor" over the carbs he said that my pipes were the problem not the carburetor. I think he was mixed up. Nonetheless, I don't care what he wants to call it, I don't want to run baffles out there. I have never had a problem out there before, and am worried that it will be an issue now.:mad:
Unless he does and actual DB test that gives a printout, I think you could go to court and beat this guy. Then turn around a sue for harassment. :D ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unless he does and actual DB test that gives a printout, I think you could go to court and beat this guy. Then turn around a sue for harassment. :D ;)

just remember that the cop gets paid to goto court we dont. Its just better to say "yes sir", "no sir" and walk away.
THEY WILL ALWAYS WIN ITS THERE JOB!!:(:(:):)punch

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
The law requires that your boat be equipped with muffling devices that are in constant operation. That means the water injection to headers doesn't count(since it is "off" at idle) and you can be tagged for simply not having mufflers/baffles. When I started boating in the late 70's, most of the resorts at Berryessa would check for baffles and turn away those boats that didn't have them. Noise laws aren't "new".

Ultrajet, expect enforcement of the noise regulations to become stricter, especially at a lake like Folsom that is so "urban". Do yourself, and all other jetboaters and v-drivers, a favor and don't go starting trouble over the baffles. Those who comply with the requirement(even if they dont meet the db levels) would prefer the water cops don't start "having it in for" our segment of the boating world.

Something you ought to try. Run your boat without baffles and get max RPM and MPH numbers. Install the baffles and repeat the test. Compare results and ask if it is REALLY WORTH getting cited over. I know my boat loses less than 100rpm with the Basset headers mufflers installed. My ears don't ring for quite so long after boating, either. :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
True. Some places are strict, as others are not on the noise issue. Been running two different sets of dry stacks on Clear Lake for the past two years. One set with tips and the other uncorked shortys. Soo far, soo good.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I got baffles when I bought my boat and just installed them. It does cut the noise some and will keep you out of trouble. Go to the river, I think you can pull them there.

·
gets 'em wet
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The law requires that your boat be equipped with muffling devices that are in constant operation. That means the water injection to headers doesn't count(since it is "off" at idle) and you can be tagged for simply not having mufflers/baffles. When I started boating in the late 70's, most of the resorts at Berryessa would check for baffles and turn away those boats that didn't have them. Noise laws aren't "new".

Ultrajet, expect enforcement of the noise regulations to become stricter, especially at a lake like Folsom that is so "urban". Do yourself, and all other jetboaters and v-drivers, a favor and don't go starting trouble over the baffles. Those who comply with the requirement(even if they dont meet the db levels) would prefer the water cops don't start "having it in for" our segment of the boating world.

Something you ought to try. Run your boat without baffles and get max RPM and MPH numbers. Install the baffles and repeat the test. Compare results and ask if it is REALLY WORTH getting cited over. I know my boat loses less than 100rpm with the Basset headers mufflers installed. My ears don't ring for quite so long after boating, either. :D

I know what the law is. I also know that there is absolutely zero consistency on how it is enforced and that is my problem with it. Folsom is a roudy, noisy, lake. It is infested with wakeboarding boats blaring their stereos(which I have no problem with by the way) and there are plenty of 25-30' high performance boats out there regularly that make my little 18.5' stock 454 sound like a purring kitten. If I'm running my pipes dry, boating recklessly, or rooster tailing roll bar boats then cite me please, otherwise just let us boat.:)devil

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I know what the law is. I also know that there is absolutely zero consistency on how it is enforced and that is my problem with it. Folsom is a roudy, noisy, lake. It is infested with wakeboarding boats blaring their stereos(which I have no problem with by the way) and there are plenty of 25-30' high performance boats out there regularly that make my little 18.5' stock 454 sound like a purring kitten. If I'm running my pipes dry, boating recklessly, or rooster tailing roll bar boats then cite me please, otherwise just let us boat.:)devil
Not to mention the lake lice that NEVER obey the laws on the lake or the river. Some of these jerks can;t read 5 MPH or NO WAKE ZONE. :|err

·
Registered
474 Posts
The noise laws have been in effect at folsom since the 70's. They used to turn boats away at the front gate for not having baffles in the late 70's when the hotboats used to rule the lake.

They ended up running off all the hotboats with their over zelous enforcement around the early 80's or so. That is when they quit enforcing the noise laws, because there were not many loud boats anymore.

This may be why the rangers are not too up to speed on the laws, they have not had to deal with it much. I think with the increase in population around folsom lake, and the increasing number of hotboats, you will see them start to enforce again.

I know the laws stink, but, do yourself a favor............. know the laws.............. and get a mechacical baffle like the law requires. ................funny, that sounds like just what the ranger said:)bulb

I must be getting old, lol:p

They once threw me off the lake for having a stock 350 chevy, with water manifolds and OT pipes. I was pissed, but the key is the mechanical bafflel. You woulda thought I was robbing a bank by the way they came after me.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I know what the law is. I also know that there is absolutely zero consistency on how it is enforced and that is my problem with it. :)devil
The ranger was an idiot, but I would say that the law that you were clearly violating was enforced in in a fair and reasonable manner. He even let you launch. Really how much faster do you think your stock engine boat goes without baffles ?

·
gets 'em wet
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ranger was an idiot, but I would say that the law that you were clearly violating was enforced in in a fair and reasonable manner. He even let you launch. Really how much faster do you think your stock engine boat goes without baffles ?

Actually I'm not too worried about speed. I'm just a cruiser. I polish the boat in the garage alot more than I drive it. I just think the overall performance of the boat is better without the baffles. It sure seems to come out of the hole better, and sounds a hell of alot better too. It's really not a big deal. The purpose of this thread was to let local peeps with OT's know that I was questioned. I've been cruising the lake for about 3yrs now, and have never been questioned up to now. I took it out a few days ago, no baffles, no problem.:D

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I boated on Folsom with my Southwind jet for 10 seasons with OT Bassett twisties. I never was stopped or questioned by anyone. I don't even know how the boat ran without the baffles. They were never out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts