Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finished putting the boat together and fired it yesterday....dog went apeshit and ran off. took me 20 minutes before one of the neighbors up the street caught her and brought her back.

how does everyone elses dogs deal with the noise? I was hoping to bring my dog to the river with me, but if she's scared of the boat, maybe not.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Remember they have superior hearing than we do and are much more sensitive to the noise we deem typical. Time and common sense will make a great lake/river dog. Just be cautious when firing the beast. Small kids act quite the same.

·
SLOW MEMBER
470 Posts
I have two english bulls. Ever since my female was a little puppy, she has been around loud engines, and the noise does not seem to bother her at all. As a matter of fact, she rides shotgun in my boat, you should see those jowels flap. My male bull just does not like the noise at all. I think some dogs are cool with it, and some just are not.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
MY dogs seemed curious at first but now ignore the noise. Put it on a leash and go for a ride.. No sweat.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I have two dogs of the same breed, one will fall a sleep during a ride, the other is ready to jump out of the boat....

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, mixed answers...thats good.

I've only had my dog for about a month now...and she's warmed incredibly well in a month. I was worried I was making her brain ring or something. My old dog got pissed and wanted to GTFO if I fired up the weedwacker...this one usually wants to help. I'll get her on the leash and in the boat over fathers day and see what happens. Anyone know the best place to get one of those little doggy life jackets?

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
i would see if you dog would tolerate some sort of ear protection. my last dog didn't like loud noises at all, my new dog doesn't mind it, had her in my cole a dozen times she just want to be in the water or she like the chasing ducks

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dogs are like people in their likes and dislikes... sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

I have 2 labs and a Boston Terrier. Neither lab minds the boat. One of them hates fireworks and gun shots.
The Boston will turn and run at the sound of a boat turning over, but doesn't mind fireworks or gun shots. Go figure.

One thing I have learned though... if they don't like it now, chances are they won't ever.

·
Wild Bill
82 Posts
Long Term

I had two Bostons....They didn't seem to mind riding in the boat for last 6yrs...I had to put one down..the other guy is over 14 yrs. It started about 2yrs ago.. is went deaf...He only hears a clap ..If may be age but long term it may effect their hearing.....He's deaf and over half blind...good dog...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was sitting in the boat tonight and the dog wanted in...I figured she might be better if she was sitting in my lap when I fired it. Bad Idea :D I ran it for about 5 seconds, dog tried to eat the key out of the ignition and has been following me around shaking ever since. Hm...gotta come up with a new plan.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Easy. DOn't take the dog in the boat.

If you do. Keep it on a leash on the sand bar and away from other poeples boats and stuff. I am of course a little sleighted by dog owners who have alowed their dogs to scratch the Gel on my boat on multiple occasions. One kid has as wel who I should have made an orphan. Basically, if you can control the things and kids you bring out and it is fun. Go for it. If it becomes a chore or a PIA. Leave them at home.

Cy

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

If you do. Keep it on a leash on the sand bar and away from other poeples boats and stuff. I am of course a little sleighted by dog owners who have alowed their dogs to scratch the Gel on my boat on multiple occasions. One kid has as wel who I should have made an orphan. Basically, if you can control the things and kids you bring out and it is fun. Go for it. If it becomes a chore or a PIA. Leave them at home.

Cy

Well, my boat is a piece of shit, so I fully imagine the paint (first time I've ever painted anything) will fall off before the dog gets to it. LOL...don't worry, I'll keep her leashed to the bow eye.

I figure if all else fails, I'll just squirt her ears full of whatever sealer is leftover from fixing all my leaks at the launch ramp. :D When the weekend is over...take her to the vet and when they take her temperature...the "plugs" will pop right out. :D

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
My big ass yellow lab runs for the boat when it starts, I guess she doesn't want to get left out of the fun, I think they need to be raised that way???

GT :)hand

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts

Cy
I'll have to agree here. I had two friggin dogs on my bow on two different days over Memorial weekend. Left some nice claw marks on it too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have 2 labs that act totally different around the boats, both raised since puppies around them. Rex will run a hide in the garage at the sight of a boat key and Apollo (the dumb one) will try and stick his nose in the exhaust to get closer. Needless to say, they get to stay in the house with AC when we go out.

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts

Cy
I have to agree here.
My labs are banned from my boat due to claw/paw marks on the old one. They are all banished to the Pontoon boat.
When our oldest was a pup he hopped up on a strangers boat. Luckily the guy was as cool as he could be about it. After spending alot of time on the beach and sandbar being watched like hawks they are now great river dogs and would never jump on a boat without being told to.
Unfortunately there are many dog owners who do not watch the dog on the sandbar. I think they are like, "wheres he going to go? Hes on an island", meanwhile the dog is beggin from and bugging other people on the bar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts