Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What suggestions would you have? I want to get rid of the OEM lamps becuase they are getting yellowish and I want the style I see more now, very few defusers and clear lenses. Seems they'd give better light.
At the same time I want to change the turn lens under it from the original amber to the clear ones.
Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Zig, i know you want to change your look but i can get that yellowing your talking about out of your lenses if needed...
Alittle 600 grit to 1500 grit sandpaper and then a good polish. Just did mine and ohhwww what a differance. I can see again. They look better than new.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
If you have a Keystone Automotive near you, use to be called Allmakes, you can by a set of aftermarket offshore headlights like you want for a fairly decent price. By there application guide you'll need to ask for 03 or 04. They're made offshore, but will fit fine. They'll have the newer style marker lights as well.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Yeah, thats kinda what I'm looking for, the whole package. If I can get mo betta lighting that isn't gonna attract the Po-Po I'd be happy about that too.
...and, you could run HIDs in these without any hassle. The stock setup on Fords is usually a 9007 bulb, which is hi/low.

Having separate bulbs, you can run the HIDs in either hi/low or both.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...and, you could run HIDs in these without any hassle. The stock setup on Fords is usually a 9007 bulb, which is hi/low.

Having separate bulbs, you can run the HIDs in either hi/low or both.
That's what I'm talking about right there...not to spendy either $264 for headlamps and clear ambers. Better light for this guys old eyes:p

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn it Tim, i hate it when someone gives away my secret.............................hehe !!!
LOL, I've been in the car biz long enough to know a secret or 100 :)

·
New here
4,219 Posts
That's what I'm talking about right there...not to spendy either $264 for headlamps and clear ambers. Better light for this guys old eyes:p
If you have not driven with HIDs yet, you will absolutely love them.
They are so much safer and easier on the eyes.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The BMW's had them back in the late 80's already.....wish I could run Xenon's :D
Those late night arrivals to Glamis will not be the same again.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
HIDs

I run ultra white 6000s and they are great.Its a plug and play deal,you can change them out in about an hour.I paid $150 for low beam only and never had the use for high beam yet.You can change the whole truck for $450,High beam,Low beam and driving lights,But if you only want to do Low or High or driving you can by them separately.I got the the kit from a guy on the Glamisdunes.com board.If anyone wants them you can go on the board and PM him, His board name is (Wheelie Bar) very cool guy.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The problem with the "plug and play" HID systems you see out now is that they may be easier on your eyes, BUT they are horrible for other drivers. Hence no DOT approval. Vehicle manufactures spend tons of money to perfect the light patterns and coverage of headlamps. When an HID is installed into a housing no desingned for the amount of output seen with an HID, the result is bleeding light. Light not on the road, but in the eyes of oncoming traffic. So while you are safe; seeing everything on the road, the guy you just passed heading the other direction has to fight the spots in his vision for the next few minutes.

If you are set on HIDs, I strongly recommend a projector retro fit. Not cheap, but if HIDs are your preference it is well worth the cost.
You can read up at HIDplanet.com

·
New here
4,219 Posts
The problem with the "plug and play" HID systems you see out now is that they may be easier on your eyes, BUT they are horrible for other drivers. Hence no DOT approval. Vehicle manufactures spend tons of money to perfect the light patterns and coverage of headlamps. When an HID is installed into a housing no desingned for the amount of output seen with an HID, the result is bleeding light. Light not on the road, but in the eyes of oncoming traffic. So while you are safe; seeing everything on the road, the guy you just passed heading the other direction has to fight the spots in his vision for the next few minutes.

If you are set on HIDs, I strongly recommend a projector retro fit. Not cheap, but if HIDs are your preference it is well worth the cost.
You can read up at HIDplanet.com
Only for those who are not nice enough to adjust theirs. Mine in the wife's '04 Yukon are just right. I have gone head to head with her and hers are not glaring at all. It took awhile to get those adjusted, though.

The NBS GM pickups (GMT-900) work wonderfully, no adjustment needed. Technically, these are legal since the Escalade (previous body) used the same reflector/bulb cover and were HID equipped. The housing has to have been OEM at one time or another with HID to be legal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts