Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got some pics to put up for TNYoungblood's 540 build.

Basically start with this:

Vallve seats bored to the proper ID and the bowls roughed in:

Once the bowls are done, I start on the ports. Sometimes I have both heads on the bench making sure they're as close as possible to being the same. Measure and grind...measure and grind...

Doing some area correction at the short turn. It's hard to tell, but I removed .100" from the roof of the port and around the guide boss, and about .030 from each side. Thhis also gives me a chance to contour the guide boss a little.

Before:

Roughed in:

I pretty much finish the ports, then I do the valve job and chambers get roughed in:

Finished ports:

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Finished chambers and final valve job:

And there you have it. Still waiting on springs and retainers to final assemble.

Right hand intake port only ended up at 316cc, chambers at 118-118.2 .

Final flow numbers:

Int. good/bad ex

.2 155/153 117
.3 221/221 158
.4 283/279 198
.5 335/321 232
.6 369/347 258
.7 386/367 279
.8 379/377 291

:)hand

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
NOW THAT'S THE WORK OF A "TRUE PROFESSIONAL"
NICE JOB INDEED!:)devil

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Looks AWSOME Scott :)devil:)devil .. I'm glad you were able to take ur time on these, they turned out real nice .. Looks great and i'm sure there gonna run as good as they look:D .. We'll wake up the neighbors with this one:)sphss ...

Cant wait to get them under the tree !!!!

Santa Clause is coming to Town:)devil

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks AWSOME Scott :)devil:)devil .. I'm glad you were able to take ur time on these, they turned out real nice .. Looks great and i'm sure there gonna run as good as they look:D .. We'll wake up the neighbors with this one:)sphss ...

Cant wait to get them under the tree !!!!

Santa Clause is coming to Town:)devil
Shame ot bolt 'em to an engine and get 'em all dirty, but they WILL make some beautiful noise. :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice workmanship and attention to detail! The castings look very good quality as well.
Thanks. Canfields are definitely some good castings. Hopefully the new version will follow in suite.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Nice work Scott. :)grn

Piston to be used and what's the target compression ?

S CP :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work Scott. :)grn

Piston to be used and what's the target compression ?

S CP :D
Thanks Jon. Pistons are Mahle's and ~10.5:1. TNYoungblood is having the shortblock built where he lives. I'm just doing the top end.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
With a 118 cc chamber how much dome to get 10.5: 1 ?

Like I said looks nice....hope it runs well for him.

S CP

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Nice work Scott. Good to see that we still have a few proffessionals left in this country that take some pride in there work.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
With a 118 cc chamber how much dome to get 10.5: 1 ?

Like I said looks nice....hope it runs well for him.

S CP

Sleeper I'll have to ask what the dome is tomorrow when I swing by there, I'm not real sure and don't won't to tell you wrong .. With a 119 head I know I'm gonna be 10.8:1:D .. Here's a pic of the piston:)hand

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's the 13cc dome whch their catalogue lists as 10.6:1 with a 118cc chamber but with your deck height, Mike, you're going to be closer to 10.5:1 with a .039 gasket.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice work Scott. Good to see that we still have a few proffessionals left in this country that take some pride in there work.
Thanks Hass. That's a very nice compliment.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts