Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Adrenaline Junkie
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I just came off the toughest week of my life. I survived heart surgery. I found out in December of last year I was going to need it, and spent several months researching my options. I ended up going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN and having it done by a minimially invasive technique (Davinci Robot). I had my mitral valve repaired to stop leaking (which was causing my heart to enlarge).

Any way, I am happy to have, hopefully, the hard part behind me. I was out of the hospital in 3 days (because they did it robotically (would have been in there substantially longer with traditional open heart surgery). I'm feeling better every day.

The good news is the surgery was a success. :D Bad news is I have to take a little break from the adrenaline pumping performance boating, etc...so I am selling my baby :mad: and going the beach house route for a little while (looking in the Captiva Island and Sanibel Island area). I will certainly be back, because it's just way too much fun.

Hopefully my baby will go to a good home -> http://www.performanceboats.com/html/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=531&cat=7

Carpe Diem' boyz. :)devil

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing well. Best to you for a total recovery. :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Wow! I just came off the toughest week of my life. I survived heart surgery. I found out in December of last year I was going to need it, and spent several months researching my options. I ended up going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN and having it done by a minimially invasive technique (Davinci Robot). I had my mitral valve repaired to stop leaking (which was causing my heart to enlarge).

Any way, I am happy to have, hopefully, the hard part behind me. I was out of the hospital in 3 days (because they did it robotically (would have been in there substantially longer with traditional open heart surgery). I'm feeling better every day.

The good news is the surgery was a success. :D Bad news is I have to take a little break from the adrenaline pumping performance boating, etc...so I am selling my baby :mad: and going the beach house route for a little while (looking in the Captiva Island and Sanibel Island area). I will certainly be back, because it's just way too much fun.

Hopefully my baby will go to a good home -> http://www.performanceboats.com/html/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=531&cat=7

Carpe Diem' boyz. :)devil
Good for you!!!!!! Glad your feeling better. Medicine/medical proceedures have gone so far, that this stuff is almost second nature. Friend of mine had a heart that would beat sometimes 270-300 per min. Made him pass out on occasions. They found an extra electrical circuit in his heart causing it. Went in with a laser, sapped it, one day stay and hasn't had a issue since. Two years ago. Amazing stufff.

·
Other Side of River
1,235 Posts
Good luck on the health and the sell. That ride must make Lake Ontario seem like a pond. Thousand Islands - - Boating Paradise.:D
Grew up off of Ridge Road,good memories of Rochester.

·
Prices May Vary...
202 Posts
I opened this thread in the cardiologist office, glad you are doing well. I have a slight Mitral Valve Prolapse, the doc says its not a big deal yet, so they hooked me up to this cool 30 day heart monitor. The thing won't even play MP3's.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck on the health and the sell. That ride must make Lake Ontario seem like a pond. Thousand Islands - - Boating Paradise.:D
Grew up off of Ridge Road,good memories of Rochester.
Yeah...we have some great boating waters...just a season that is a bit too short for my liking....but we make the best of it.

Boat stomps most of what Lake Ontario can throw at it...but as you know, it's not uncommon to get 4'-8' lake snot out here - that's when we choose to hang in protected waters.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I opened this thread in the cardiologist office, glad you are doing well. I have a slight Mitral Valve Prolapse, the doc says its not a big deal yet, so they hooked me up to this cool 30 day heart monitor. The thing won't even play MP3's.
Slight is nothing...mine went from moderate to severe in a 3 year period...heart started to enlarge so they had to go in and fix that valve.

As long as you have your Cardiologist keeping an eye on it and it doesn't go to severe...your good. If you do end up needing surgery...I did months of research and am happy to share...just PM me. Good luck.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Glad to hear everything went well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had open heart surgery in sept of 06 replaced the aortic valve with a cow valve and added a pace maker with in a week. I was back on the water for new years in a blown alcohol jet boat. No problems as yet I think that fast boat tharapy was the best thing for me Keeps the heart and mine young. Dont sell your boat youll want to be on it again by early summer. Good luck. Glad all is going well for you.:)devil

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well I can one up you, the 18th of aug went to work and had a brain hemorage. Whole left side knumb. Spent 4 days at Barrows where they tell me it was a congenital defect and will never happen all will be normal, total recovery soon.
So 3 weeks later I can walk function normal still some residual knumbness but getting better everyday. Back to work. The big problem is I had to cancel huge hunt trip to Idaho and no flying or boat driving for awhile.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife had open heart surgery to repair her Mitral Valve in Nov. 2008. She was back in the boat 7-months later riding in some pretty rough water. She was sore after the first trip but now 3-months later it's not that big of a deal. Good luck to you.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
I did open heart 4 years ago...was on the water 2weeks later & ever since! Glad to hear it went well!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I had open heart surgery to repair my Mitral Valve in Nov. 1993 (The old way cut you wide open) They rebuild mine with a fiber ring to hold it. At the time of my surgery I was only pumping 25% of my blood. It get better, hang in there! :D

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing well. They just found a murmur last week, now for the checks and treatment. Glad I don't live in Canada...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts