Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting together a new 460 for a build that I’ve got goin and I ran into a slight problem with my distributor hitting the water neck on the intake manifold. I’ve researched online and found a lot of info about it on cars but nothing for boats. Is there a low profile water neck for sale somewhere that I’m not finding? Or do people use the regular truck style with the single big hose fitting and rig it up to work?

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
If you can post a pic of your Distributor and water neck in their positions that would help....I am using a Mallory dist' on my 460....Does your HEI have vacuum advance? (You don't need it on a jet and it may be the point of interference)

·
Jet boat service
126 Posts
Ford 460 HEI

The HEI distributor has a larger body and will interfere with Ford water necks. If you want to use a four port by pass
Thermostat kit to properly control engine temp you will need a distributor with a standard body size. I talk about this on my web site under the cooling link. Jim

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
That is messed up that they interfere......The manifold raised the height of the thermo mounting surface. It looks like you could possibly have that surface machined down 1/8"...Then possibly machine a groove in the housing, and possibly machine the edge off the distributor.....

Is there any possibility there is a spacer setup to lift that distributor up a bit? (You would also have to reposition the drive gear lower on the distributor shaft)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Perhaps you can use an aftermarket water neck block off plate like this... re-work your hose to a 90 degree AN fitting style?? It looks like the fitting might clear the distributer? I found one on Meziere, but it was only for chevy and mopar.. maybe someone knows where to get for ford, or can weld one up for you like the second pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is messed up that they interfere......The manifold raised the height of the thermo mounting surface. It looks like you could possibly have that surface machined down 1/8"...Then possibly machine a groove in the housing, and possibly machine the edge off the distributor.....

Is there any possibility there is a spacer setup to lift that distributor up a bit? (You would also have to reposition the drive gear lower on the distributor shaft)

I was considering going through some machining, but looking at everything I don't know if I'd be able to get the inch that I need to get it to work. But then I've wondered about raising the distributor up somehow? Seems like the easier route, just haven't found anything on it yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps you can use an aftermarket water neck block off plate like this... re-work your hose to a 90 degree AN fitting style?? It looks like the fitting might clear the distributer? I found one on Meziere, but it was only for chevy and mopar.. maybe someone knows where to get for ford, or can weld one up for you like the second pic?
That's an idea. How would I get an inlet and an outlet out of something like that though?

·
Registered
132 Posts

In this pic I have my old distributor. I now run an HEI. This flat thermostat block off with the temp pick up in it lets the body of the HEI clear just over the allen bolt. Just use the water inlets on the front of the intake. The water goes into the same place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts