Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly don't even know if this is the right kind of welding, but bottom line is we have a lower housing unit on a B-Max drive, aluminum that needs some welding. Anyone? Preferably in Arizona?

Thanks

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
I honestly don't even know if this is the right kind of welding, but bottom line is we have a lower housing unit on a B-Max drive, aluminum that needs some welding. Anyone? Preferably in Arizona?

Thanks
yes right kind of welding.....

any good auto machine shop will be able to do it

·
Premium Member
569 Posts

Thanks

I am very capable of welding aluminum but casted aluminum is another battle. It is possible but takes a skilled welder to get the weld properely done.

Where the crack is plays a big roll on how hard it would be to complete the job properely, any pics?

·
Large Member
425 Posts
You are talking the right process, Tig or Heliarc, but it is no harder to weld than extruded aluminum like someone else said, same procedures.

It must be clean! no paint, no oil! if it has been leaking oil, the pores in the aluminum will be difficult to clean out but not impossible.

TV

·
Registered
629 Posts
I tig welded a new skeg onto a Mercruiser outdrive for a customer. Did a beautiful job and it fell off with out hitting a thing. Was told that Mercruiser used garbage/recycled aluminum and if you weld with normal aluminum rod it's a bad weld no matter what. I believe the outdrive shops have a special rod to match the Mercruiser aluminum.

Jim

·
Large Member
425 Posts
I tig welded a new skeg onto a Mercruiser outdrive for a customer. Did a beautiful job and it fell off with out hitting a thing. Was told that Mercruiser used garbage/recycled aluminum and if you weld with normal aluminum rod it's a bad weld no matter what. I believe the outdrive shops have a special rod to match the Mercruiser aluminum.

Jim
No special rod. Did you do a pre-heat/post-heat procedure? what alloy filler were you using?

I have welded literally dozens of them back on with no failures.

·
"SELF MADE" broke dick
1,006 Posts
Tyler (623) 986-8057 I-17 and Deer Valley.

This guy has done some welding for me in the past and he's good.

·
Registered
629 Posts
No special rod. Did you do a pre-heat/post-heat procedure? what alloy filler were you using?

I have welded literally dozens of them back on with no failures.
It was about 15 years ago......Don't have clue. LOL

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts