Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, Im brand new to this V-Drive hobby, just brought this boat off my neighbour after hounding him for the last 5 years to sell it to me. (just for the colours and the lunacy of it I guess)
anyway, I would like some help in identifying the exact hull design if possible ?
I know it was made in February 1973 (according to the I.D number on the stern)
but don’t know how to tell if it’s a drag, circle, ski, bubble top etc.etc.
haven’t had it in the water yet, couple of small jobs to attend to first but really looking forward to trying it out.
Has a very lively small block chev in it with a heat exchanger fitted for salt water use which is very handy for round here.
all advise/suggestions will be greatly appreciated..
cheers,
Nick.
Sky Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Cloud
Cloud Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle
Boat Cloud Sky Watercraft Plant

Cloud Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle
Boat Cloud Sky Watercraft Plant

·
Registered
11 Posts
Persistence certainly paid off! Sanger is one of the most iconic manufacturers of v-drive boats of the 1960's and 70's. Your boat is referred to as a runner bottom which are capable of faster speeds than standard flat bottom hulls. You can spot a runner bottom when you see three cavitation plates with the one in the center lower than the ones on each side. Jim Cole was a prime developer of the runner bottom design that most manufacturers followed which improved on the classic flat bottom design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like a classic drag boat to me. Post a few pictures that show the front of the motor and connection to the v-drive assembly and the accelerator pedal, down pedal and override handle.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
It looks like you have a very early 18' 3" Circle Runner. It is a raised deck though not a bubbledeck. Notice how the chines turn back under at the transom. On the 18' 6" drag runners it just drops straight down to the chine. Another thing to look at is the turn fin, if the hull has even the slightest v there that would indicate at circle runner. On drag runners the runner is completely flat there. That is one of the earliest circle runners I have seen. Mine is a '75
Water Art Recreation Wood Leisure

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks to all for your insightful input.
I’ve taken a few measurements & extra photos this morning.
the hull number is SANM01960273.
As far as I can tell it’s 5500mm in length (hard to measure accurately with the engine in the way)
and 1565mm wide (widest point across the stern)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Watercraft
Fixture Tints and shades Symmetry Ceiling Composite material
Aircraft Tire Plant Monoplane Aviation
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I know of it’s history is that I’m the 3rd owner in New Zealand, and it came in fro the Gold Coast area of Australia in 2006.
So, being that it appears to be a Circle Runner, does that make it an ideal learner V- Dive boat as such for me ?
again, all input/advise will be greatly appreciated..

cheers
Nick.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you guys seen a deck like this on a Sanger before? the transom looks like a Sanger but the raised deck is more like a B boat, I have never seen one like this, I Dig it. This is my 18'6" Circle with a gull wing, everyone says its an 18'3" but the tape measure says different.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car
Water Boat Vehicle Sky Watercraft

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
The bottom is definitely a Sanger but that raised deck is certainly unique. It is different from the 17'10" raised deck design and notice there is no dip on the gunnel behind the front seats that most Sangers have. It almost looks like a Nordskog deck or something like that. We need Rattle Can to weigh in on the deck. Sanger made many one-offs but I don't recall seeing a Sanger deck like that before.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agreed, of all the models Sanger made the one thing that stayed constant is they all looked similar. I think you hit it with a different top deck on this boat, it works, looks very unique and was nicely done.

·
Registered
19,985 Posts
great boat for you to learn with,,and build on,have fun "CHEERS" mouzer

·
Registered
19,985 Posts
lil deck modification................my 2 cents......i like it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts