Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im back again with my 1970 Shuster, Im starting to see a little oil in the bilge under the motor, I think my oil pan may be rusting out. The oil pan had to be patched and welded and painted 3 years ago when I rebuilt the motor, but I think its leaking. I going to pull the Exhaust Headers off so I can inspect it, but what i can feel is paint coming off, and I bet its coming off in more bad areas. The machine shop that rebuilt the motor said they couldnt find an oil pan at the time, but marine stuff was not their specialty, so we did a nice job patching it. But salt water is salt water. Anyone know where to find one, I think this pan had special baffles in it. Its on a 1970 Hardin Marine 454 BBC.

Thanks
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
paint coming off doesnt mean that its rusting, crap in your bilge can flake paint, oil could be coming from many gaskets.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hardin, Harman, Indmar, all of them bought long blocks from the factory, from intake to pan, then equipped them with their stuff, mounts, manifolds, ignition, brass casting plugs and so on. They didn't build engines. They might bolt on a intake manifold now and then or a Dooley pan but I'm pretty sure the pans are, especially in your case with the old Tahiti if it's the original engine, stock GM truck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hardin, Harman, Indmar, all of them bought long blocks from the factory, from intake to pan, then equipped them with their stuff, mounts, manifolds, ignition, brass casting plugs and so on. They didn't build engines. They might bolt on a intake manifold now and then or a Dooley pan but I'm pretty sure the pans are, especially in your case with the old Tahiti if it's the original engine, stock GM truck.
so i have been told by an old-timer boat builder that 454's were not marinized till 75 or 76.... Any truth to this???
in his words all boats older than 75 never came stock with a 454......

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Im back again with my 1970 Shuster, Im starting to see a little oil in the bilge under the motor, I think my oil pan may be rusting out. The oil pan had to be patched and welded and painted 3 years ago when I rebuilt the motor, but I think its leaking. I going to pull the Exhaust Headers off so I can inspect it, but what i can feel is paint coming off, and I bet its coming off in more bad areas. The machine shop that rebuilt the motor said they couldnt find an oil pan at the time, but marine stuff was not their specialty, so we did a nice job patching it. But salt water is salt water. Anyone know where to find one, I think this pan had special baffles in it. Its on a 1970 Hardin Marine 454 BBC.

Thanks
Rick
Rick If your intent on using a oem style rear sump mk4 car pan for your jet boat you need to search for a chevy pan and appropriate pickup that are max 8" deep or slightly less (7 7/8) from the block pan rail to the lowest part of the pan sump or your pan bottom will end up setting (or very close) to your jet intake casting in your efforts to get proper engine/driveline/mount alignment when reinstalling . OEM BBC pans vary from just under 8" to 9.5 and deeper I believe the pan you might be looking for is from a Chevelle application or maybe early Corvette . From your pic it would appear that your boat may have an original 3 pt mount, that mount system may limit your pan choices when considering a box style pan as a replacement

1 - 10 of 10 Posts