Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New user here. I've inherited an old jet boat from my Dad that has been in the family for decades. He believes it to be a Tahiti, it's listed on the title as a 1971 18'. But from what I've been able to see of pictures of the 71 Tahiti Super Tiger (closest guess) the back end is too rounded to match what I've seen. I'm hoping someone here can tell me once and for all what this thing is!

Here is the imgur album of the pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/tsnQb

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Hey everyone,

New user here. I've inherited an old jet boat from my Dad that has been in the family for decades. He believes it to be a Tahiti, it's listed on the title as a 1971 18'. But from what I've been able to see of pictures of the 71 Tahiti Super Tiger (closest guess) the back end is too rounded to match what I've seen. I'm hoping someone here can tell me once and for all what this thing is!

Here is the imgur album of the pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/tsnQb
Pull the VIN numbers off the transom and measure the boat length!

·
Registered
851 Posts
There were 2 guys that offered that hull (probably more) in their line up back in the day, Weiman and I can't remember the other right this minute for some reason, he was local to so cal. My first boat was a Weiman, this model and year (!), but an outboard and my buddy had the other builders offering. Damn, my memory isn't what it use to be. lol

Tahiti also built some of these because Mr. Weiman didn't build his hulls, Schuster did at Tahiti which was right across the street so that meant he had the molds in his shop. :rolleyes: By '71 Tahiti offered several different hulls so it's no wonder it doesn't look like the Super Tiger.

Good luck

Oh yeah, no numbers in the hull for a few more years.

I think the other builder was Cutlass, they used Oldsmobile car emblems just like Marty did a with his Hornet boats.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I saw this at Parker last month, same hull as yours. I waited for the owner for a while to talk but never saw him. Pretty early Berk set up, it was very cool.

IMG_1249.jpg IMG_1250.jpg IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1252.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I think it had a Cougar emblem on the dash.
I knew you guys would figure it out! And that's a great looking Weiman. Hopefully mine will eventually look that nice.

Old Rigger, any idea what model name Tahiti made this hull design under? I'm trying to find a place to build me a cover for it, and they all want the model name, and I have no clue.

But I'm glad to hear it is actually a Tahiti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
weiman

my 69 Weiman was a cyclone, i still have the dash plaque cyclone, thats what i named Cyclone speed & marine from.

·
Registered
851 Posts
my 69 Weiman was a cyclone, i still have the dash plaque cyclone, thats what i named Cyclone speed & marine from.
That is so weird, I believe you, but that is just strange. When Roger Weiman finally started his shop after splitting from his dad, a stint in the Coast Guard and a job delivering oil for Standard Oil, he named his hulls "Cyclone". He was also in direct competition with his dad and loved every minute of it. They didn't speak for years and years, later Mr. Weiman was a rep for 3M and ironically Roger was on his route. There were very tense moments in the shop when Mr. Weiman called on Rogers Custom Boats. They spoke but only about product.

I guess to me anyway it doesn't make any sense for there to be a Weiman called a Cyclone too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I knew you guys would figure it out! And that's a great looking Weiman. Hopefully mine will eventually look that nice.

Old Rigger, any idea what model name Tahiti made this hull design under? I'm trying to find a place to build me a cover for it, and they all want the model name, and I have no clue.

But I'm glad to hear it is actually a Tahiti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea if your boat is a Wieman, a Glencoe, Tahiti or some other brand. I guess the only clue will be when, or if, you strip off all the paint we'll hopefully be able to see what the holes look like that held on the emblem...if it came with one.

Don't remember the model name either, if it had one.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It was bugging be not being able to remember the emblem on the dash of my Weiman so I did a search. Found one on the net that showed just a tiny part of the Cougar emblem. I can sleep tonight.
not-specified-cougar-8617.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts