Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
There is a terminal on the starter where you'll have 12v only when the solenoid is engaged. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theres 3 ter. one is big main power ,other is trigger from sol, third is suppose to feed the coil or msd. the starter works ok . I'm trying to figure out why I have no power to the msd?wondering if power should be feed to msd with key on ,engine off

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
theres 3 ter. one is big main power ,other is trigger from sol, third is suppose to feed the coil or msd. the starter works ok . I'm trying to figure out why I have no power to the msd?wondering if power should be feed to msd with key on ,engine off

The only thing the I terminal is for is bypassing any sort of ballast device, the power to the ignition box comes straight from the ignition switch (color code is purple)...On an MSD box, the I terminal does not need to be used, but can, it would connect to the positive terminal on the coil, it';s job is to "full voltage" the coil upon cranking only, it drops out once the starter is disengaged....And yes, you should be able to turn the key to "Ign." and see 12V at the ignition box...

GT :)hand

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the wiring in this boat is kind of funky.it's done with ALL blk wiring :)sphssmy msd is a 6450 obsolet box,however it worked last yr.
so there is main + - from batt, orange to + on coil, red (from starter ),a 2 wire harness to dist.,bl to - on coil,wh was'nt hooked up.
we jumped the red striaght to the batt.still no power to orange

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
At the risk of being redundant, you should have two red wires on the MSD. One large red wire...goes straight to the battery, the smaller red wire goes to a switched 12v source. Your ignition switch, the key, whatever you use to activate the ignition. As Fiat pointed out, the diagram would only have 12v to the coil while cranking. Just ignore the solenoid, and make sure you have a good ground, preferably to the battery.

·
Just Me
4,072 Posts
The wiring diagram posted shows only the start circuit. There should be a wire from the run terminal of the ignition switch that also goes to the coil. This wire traditionally has a resistor in it as to prolong the life of the coil. In the non-racing world they don't run full voltage to the coil except during starting.

·
Registered
612 Posts
orange to+ black to-

Does this help any?
Also, in the wiring diagram you posted, the coil wire should connect to the solinoid, not the starter.That is, if it's a ford,
So what is it, a chevy with a ford solinoid wired in? you have two solinoids in that diagram...

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the boat is a 460 ford. the starter is as the pic shows . it has a sol.at the top of the bellhousing below the junction bar(for lack of proper term) & a sol on the starter.
The thing is ,it worked last yr wirded this way.I haven't changed any wiring.I agree that the msd diagrams (for a 6al,not what I have)show the red wire to the ignition.perhaps the box is just bad,it's obsolite like 15 yrs ago!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
the boat is a 460 ford. the starter is as the pic shows . it has a sol.at the top of the bellhousing below the junction bar(for lack of proper term) & a sol on the starter.
The thing is ,it worked last yr wirded this way.I haven't changed any wiring.I agree that the msd diagrams (for a 6al,not what I have)show the red wire to the ignition.perhaps the box is just bad,it's obsolite like 15 yrs ago!

If it's wired exactly like the picture, there is no way it ran....Best case scenario the ignition switch has to go to either the box, or the solenoid...You don't show either...

GT :)hand

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
DON'T hook any wire from your ignition to the starter (except maybe the big red pos. lead) that old "I" terminal was just to give a full 12v to the coil when cranking. not needed if ya aint got points etc...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no points. The pic shows ignition wire to the ford sol.I'm not sure were the igntionwire on my boat is going.I do know that the red lead from the msd box is goin to the "i" lead on the starter. thanks for the input .my question has been answered that the "i" lead seems to be the wrong source for the red lead to the box. does anyone have the diagram for this ancient msd 6450 box? I think I'm goin to start from the top on the wiring by putting some colored wires to it ( everything is black:)st),lose the "i" terminal!!
There's also a red tab with a connection that stands off the + post of the blaster 2 coil .we don't know what it's is or why it's there.

·
Registered
612 Posts
should I have power at the I terminal(to the msd box) all the time with ign. on? Thanx
I think the answer to your original question is YES...At least on any msd I know of the key supplies power to the box to switch it on, and shuts off when power to the box is shut off. Where the box gets its power from doesn't matter-you can run a new wire from your ignition switch or any other 12 volt source to bypass all those solinoids- they may be the problem, not the box. Run a wire from the switch power directly to the wire from the box that goes to the I terminal and try it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
no points. The pic shows ignition wire to the ford sol.I'm not sure were the igntionwire on my boat is going.I do know that the red lead from the msd box is goin to the "i" lead on the starter. thanks for the input .my question has been answered that the "i" lead seems to be the wrong source for the red lead to the box. does anyone have the diagram for this ancient msd 6450 box? I think I'm goin to start from the top on the wiring by putting some colored wires to it ( everything is black:)st),lose the "i" terminal!!
There's also a red tab with a connection that stands off the + post of the blaster 2 coil .we don't know what it's is or why it's there.
I have a diagram that mentions that part on the coil- I will upload it in a minuet-It is an obsolete part.
Here it is

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Are you SURE your starter is wired this way??? I dont recall fords having a solinoid on the starter. What this diagram shows is the solinoid powering the solinoid on the starter, which is...odd. The first solinoid in that diagram can be left out if there is one on the starter.It's only acting as a relay for a low amperage wire...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts