Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....I have a stock 460 in my 86 Kachina jet and it has new guages. My problem is that my oil pressure guage jumps right up to 80 psi as soon as I turn on the boat and it doesn't move from there. It did the same when I tried another new guauge. I replaced the sending unit with one off of a stock 85 460 abd it still is doing it. i know that high pressure is better than low pressure but I'm concerned cuz it doesnt move from 80 psi. My next problem is that my engine temp guage also jumps up to 120+ degrees as soon as I turn my boat on....it is reading high but noticed that it gets worse when the boat is at idle. I also tried another new guage and it did the same. Ive taken my boat out like 5 times already and havent blown the engine and I always check the oil for water and it looks clean. I just cant figure it out.....can someone help me with this issue.....thanks​

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground to me. There are a few wiring diagrams available here that you can study that will help you figure out where all the ground wires are if u need help with that.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Verify the pressure reading by putting a "T" in and hooking up a mechanical gauge. Don't believe that mechanical are inherently more accurate..... they (generally speaking) only have a slight edge in response time over electric.
For temp, you can also try mechanical, but you won't be able to "T" it to compare side-by-side.
If I can help, don't hesitate to PM me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok....I have a stock 460 in my 86 Kachina jet and it has new guages. My problem is that my oil pressure guage jumps right up to 80 psi as soon as I turn on the boat and it doesn't move from there. It did the same when I tried another new guauge. I replaced the sending unit with one off of a stock 85 460 abd it still is doing it. i know that high pressure is better than low pressure but I'm concerned cuz it doesnt move from 80 psi. My next problem is that my engine temp guage also jumps up to 120+ degrees as soon as I turn my boat on....it is reading high but noticed that it gets worse when the boat is at idle. I also tried another new guage and it did the same. Ive taken my boat out like 5 times already and havent blown the engine and I always check the oil for water and it looks clean. I just cant figure it out.....can someone help me with this issue.....thanks​
Check and make sure that the wires are NOt grounded sense the senders work off of resistance to ground. you can remove the wire from the sender and ground it to the block and the guage goes to full hot than the guage is still good, and sender is bad, if not than guage is bad, but check to see if its wired up corectly, as spec to the wiring diagram. that is most likely your problem. i've found different guages hook up differently than others. also the guage might take a different ohm's resistance sender than what you are installing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Auto senders

Well I am using regular stock automotive units so I'll order the correct ones and install........hopefully that will fix my problem. I'll let u guys know how it goes and THANKS TO ALL for your tips....appreciate them

I'm going with this. You need the proper sender for your gauge.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Specific sending units????

So u guys think if I can order just any MARINE sending units or do they have to be specific for my Teleflex guages????

·
Registered
829 Posts
So u guys think if I can order just any MARINE sending units or do they have to be specific for my Teleflex guages????
check and see with teleflex to see what sender is used with their guage. unless the marine sender sends out a different signal [read] than a regular automotive sender..?

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Teleflex uses a pretty standard aftermarket sender. I believe they are 240-33 ohm. This is also the same as most automotive after market gauges so a sender for Auto meter gauges may work as well. What will not work is a stock sender for something like a 78 Ford truck with factory oil pressure and temp gauge. If you really want to be sure it is the right sender best bet is to get the sender from the same manufacturer as the gauge. I have Faria senders and Teleflex gauges on my Rebel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts