Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have owned outboards all my life but I picked up a boat with a Merc 350 mag/mpi and Bravo 1 drive, so I'm kind of an I/O newb.

This weekend I noticed I have a slow leak in the boat. If I turn on the bilge every 45 minutes or so, I will eject a half quart to quart of water. There are no thru-hull fitting on this boat (under the waterline) and no cracks in the hull. I checked the bellows, as well as I could without removing the drive, and they look OK. I ran the engine with the hatch up for a few minutes and couldn't see any obvious leaks on the hoses, drain plugs, water pump, etc.

The boat is a low hour, model year 2000, and everything looks like new in the engine compartment.

I know there could be a lot of sources for the leak but are there any "usual suspects" or places to look first?

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
Take your garden hose and have some one start pooring water slowly all over the back of the boats transom area, Have some one inside the boat with a flash light and start looking and lisening for running water, You may find it that way, But also you should do every fitting and also the all over the rub rail area might be no silicone at the rub rail. I hope this helps good luck.:)

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
some experts here will i'm sure have better answers...i know i found one on mine by filling it up pretty good with the hose and seeing where it leaks out while it's on the trailer..unless of course it's a "while running" problem.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Put the boat on the beach so it pushes the back of the boat down. Check the piviot pin (left to right) bushing.
Mike

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
How about the speedo hose?

A lot of time they have splices(double male) in line.

I think its a black tube around 1/4" or so. You only see it leak at speed when water pressure is great. Had that happen a lot undernieth the dash

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just fixed mine last week there are three places it could leak the drive billows,shift boot or the rubber seal on the drive. mine was leaking around the drive seal and you have to pull the engine to tighten the bolts back up they are nylocks and I'm not sure why they loosened up so I double nutted them. The drive billows you can pull the drive and see if there is water inside it. The shift boot is harder to see but you can take a paint stir stick and press on it to see if any water drips out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts