Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am bringing an old Campbell back to life and I have some questions about the motor. It is a tall deck 427 truck block bored to 467 with a Race Aero twin turbo kit. The carbs are missing and the wastegates are all rusty. The rajays turn smoothly and it looks to be a quality kit with watercooled turbos, inlet and intercooler. The install and rigging of the boat was done by Bergeron back in 1987 and looks to be top notch: all lines and hoses are braided SS AN type.

I want to freshen up this engine and bring it back to life, but I know that what was "best" back in 1987 may not be what's best in 2009. So what should be brought up to date? Are there better choices for turbos since I really want an engine that is strong in the 3000 to 4500 range and not a top end screamer. I really only want about 200hp out of the turbos and I want to use pump gas all the time, no race fuel and no octane booster.

The engine has SS manley valves, TRW blower pistons, Engle solid lifter turbo cam, Carillo rods, roller rockers and Aluminum heads, and a Vertex mag.

So the can the turbos be improved or should I just get the wastegates rebuilt and install springs to give 5 lbs boost. Would a pair of 650's support 650hp? I already plan on using Inconel exhaust valves when we do the valve job and we will change over to a hyd. cam and lifters then too. The work will be done by Larry's Racing and Marine here in Tucson, they will be pulling the engine on Tuesday and starting on the overhaul ASAP.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My suggestion is to rebuild what you have. The only real reason to start replacing parts is, if you want more power! What you have will support your 650HP requirement.

The fact that the engine is turbo charged will give you the power in the mid range that you want.

Larry's Engine will do a fine job for you. Larry can handle the dyno tuning. Dyno testing will be the most important part to making the engine live a long life

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I totally agree, rebuild what you have. Those turbos spool quick and I use to get 15# boost easily.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Hi I am bringing an old Campbell back to life and I have some questions about the motor. It is a tall deck 427 truck block bored to 467 with a Race Aero twin turbo kit. The carbs are missing and the wastegates are all rusty. The rajays turn smoothly and it looks to be a quality kit with watercooled turbos, inlet and intercooler. The install and rigging of the boat was done by Bergeron back in 1987 and looks to be top notch: all lines and hoses are braided SS AN type.

I want to freshen up this engine and bring it back to life, but I know that what was "best" back in 1987 may not be what's best in 2009. So what should be brought up to date? Are there better choices for turbos since I really want an engine that is strong in the 3000 to 4500 range and not a top end screamer. I really only want about 200hp out of the turbos and I want to use pump gas all the time, no race fuel and no octane booster.

The engine has SS manley valves, TRW blower pistons, Engle solid lifter turbo cam, Carillo rods, roller rockers and Aluminum heads, and a Vertex mag.

So the can the turbos be improved or should I just get the wastegates rebuilt and install springs to give 5 lbs boost. Would a pair of 650's support 650hp? I already plan on using Inconel exhaust valves when we do the valve job and we will change over to a hyd. cam and lifters then too. The work will be done by Larry's Racing and Marine here in Tucson, they will be pulling the engine on Tuesday and starting on the overhaul ASAP.
go with ferrea super alloy exhaust valves, they're handle heat inconels won't, and their cheaper to boot;)

·
Earth Motors
6 Posts
:DI just got my 454 going with a race aero turbo system, stock ray jay turbos, two 660 center squirters, 15 psi ,turs a [9 1/4 or AA ] american turbon pump 5200 rpm ,It work great for 1977 turbo stuff , I am a presition turbo dealer, im not going to change turbos unless they break !

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Staying with pump gas and using it "leisurely" - pull out that old solid cam in favor of a nice new hyd roller. The motor will like it much better - as will you. Unless you are gonna be spinning to 7000 or so, there is no reason not to be hyd.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have it at the engine shop where it's being torn down for an overhaul. Barring any damaged parts, the plan now is to put in a good hyd cam, dump the TRW dished pistons and raise the CR to about 9.5. The carbs were missing from the boat when I bought it so we will replace those, haven't decided what to use yet. I am only going to run 5 or 6 psi of boost and want to cruise around 3200 just off of boost. Supposedly these turbos will begin to boost just around 3500 and I will be at 5psi around 4000. This big old boat will never be fast but I don't want to be slow either, I just don't see the sense in going over 70 in a family play boat.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some pictures of the project so far. http://photobucket.com/campbellrestoration

I learned from the engine shop that the engine was not winterised before it was parked outside last winter. The old 427 truck block cracked and so did the trans cooler. They still have to open up the engine so I don't know if the rest of the internals are useable yet. I plan on using a new Dart block as a replacement, the shop has one on the shelf at a good price, that will give me a 509 IIRC for more power off boost and even more when on boost.
The drive situation (missing TRS lower unit) is better news. I have found a rebuilder who has a rebuilt upper and lower on the shelf, but he won't split them and sell just the lower. I also found a factory rebuilt upper and lower still in original wrapper, stored in a heated shop since 1989.
The rest of the boat will polish up easily. The stringers are OK, only 1 soft piece of plywood in the floor in an easy to fix area. The interior cleaned up nicely, we are going to change all the cockpit carpet to blue to match the bimini and the pinstripe in the gel coat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
pfm cooler

i have a couple of the large pfm coolers. you can see them at hotboatpics.com user name pathoban they are the black ones. one is mounted to a modified blower intake for low profile and the other is on a tunnel ram set up for EFI. I think i have an extra housing that could be modified to fit most anything. the larger units had the same v shape just longer and use the tube style cores rather than the heater core style
pat

both are BB chev.

·
1,814 Posts

i had been using one 850 carb & i was about ?750 hp or more ..its been a while i was told if i want to loose 100 hp t go ahead & put a hyd. cam in i said hell no...i ran rajays up to about 950 hp. it did not like more than that but i used a small turbine housing.i did not have waist gates but i had holes in the turbine housing . my max boost was 13 with the mild cam .my boost was instant. you don't need new turbos. they are more than you want.you can regulate the boost by more overlap in the cam or the waist gates being rebuilt, or the hole in the turbine housing or get a bigger turbin housing ... a different a/r ratio..i.d a bigger snail on the exaust side..i have a 1.3 A/R if you need ,that will slow the turbo up a little. I ALSO RUN FEREAVALVES & HAD RUN INCONEL .. IT IS A MUST..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts