Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that still water ski may want to know that a pioneer in water ski development passed away the other day. Herb O'Brien age 68 who was a true innovator in water ski design for the last 5 decade continued as a ski designer and sport promoter until his death.

Welcome to USA Water Ski

Herb will be missed!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
RIP Herb! I remember learning to ski on a pair of O'Brien's.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
One of my projects from last winter was to strip and refinish an O'Brien slamon ski I originally purchased in 1969. Had many years of great performance from that ski before the apperance of the more modern composite, fiberglass, plastic, aluminum hybrids of today. RIP Herb.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Pretty invoative drug smuggler also. i still have and ski, on one of his skiis.
You beat me to it. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this post. Pretty disappointed when I was a kid and had saved for a new O'brien ski and then found out they were smugglers.

·
Registered
643 Posts
He was one of the first innovative smugglers. They did not build fiberglass skis because they were better, but because they could fill them with cocaine. The green fiberglass skis were filled with dope and covered with aluminium, and shipped to the U.S. Did he die in prison ? as he was only 68. I have a big collection of wood water skis, and some really early Herb Obrien skis. I don't think they are worth anything after there history.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
He was one of the first innovative smugglers. They did not build fiberglass skis because they were better, but because they could fill them with cocaine. The green fiberglass skis were filled with dope and covered with aluminium, and shipped to the U.S. Did he die in prison ? as he was only 68. I have a big collection of wood water skis, and some really early Herb Obrien skis. I don't think they are worth anything after there history.
I ski on a O'Brien Wood Comp.....The later style, green composite with a wood venier.....So, do I have a fortune in Coke in it?:)Unsure

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hmmm i have one of those maybe i ought to see if it has anything inside!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts