1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lab: Virus killing carp
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:03 AM CDT

Koi herpes “is not a threat to public health,” officials say

KINGMAN - A virus has been identified as the probable cause for a carp die-off in Lake Mohave.

Koi herpes virus (KHV) - which can impact carp as water temperatures warm in late spring - impacts gill function and can lead to suffocation and/or secondary infections. While there were bacterial issues, lab tests show KHV as the primary cause of the die-off.

“This is not a threat to public health, and it is not affecting other wildlife,” said Andy Clark, fisheries program manager for the Arizona Game and Fish Department's Kingman office. “However, people should still avoid handling the dead fish along the shoreline and, until this die-off ends, we'd suggest anglers avoid taking carp and focus on the other species the lake has to offer.”

Clark added that this is not a water quality issue, which would have impacted all species of fish in the lake.

In the middle of May, carp began washing up on shorelines along Lake Mohave and within a week, the numbers began to multiply.

Arizona Game and Fish Department fisheries biologists visited Lake Mohave shoreline areas to examine the extent of the die-off, with the dead numbering in the thousands.

The gills of the carp had white spots along the sides and lacked blood.

“The lab test results are close to what we expected,” Clark said. “We recognized the need to get a sample, but it wasn't that simple. We needed a live specimen, and carp we found close to the surface were dying shortly after capture.

“The problem was, we suspected this to be viral, and a virus dies when the host dies.”

After Clark managed to secure several live carp, they were shipped to the Washington (State) Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab for testing. The results came back late Friday afternoon.

While Lake Mohave remains the primary area of this die-off, there have been several recent reports at Lake Havasu. While that number remains low, however, it is possible KHV is the cause.

If a die-off begins at Lake Havasu, Clark said there's little that can be done to stop it.

“There's no method in place to change the water temperature in a short period of time that might prevent this,” he explained. “However, I want to remind everyone that we have no confirmation that an event of the same scale will occur on Lake Havasu. Only time will tell.”

As for a possible end to the die-off at Lake Mohave, Clark is uncertain but believes we've already seen the worst.

For fishing information, please check the Game and Fish Web site, www.azgfd.gov for the latest fishing report.

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about some dumb **** trying to explain their herpes to their partner and how they got it from the water :)

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
How about some dumb **** trying to explain their herpes to their partner and how they got it from the water :)
Ha!! Really!!

I find this interesting. Isn't Mohave a colder lake due to it being a deeper lake? Havasu in the summer can be in the high 70s right?

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha!! Really!!

I find this interesting. Isn't Mohave a colder lake due to it being a deeper lake? Havasu in the summer can be in the high 70s right?
Probably a slight water temp with Mohave being a little colder but not by much I would think.

I think the herpes is already down in Havasu anyhow.....lol

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Mohave is colder because most of it's water comes from deep in Lake Mead, at the bottom of Hoover. Even in the summer time, water temps South of Hoover are in the high 50's and low 60's.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i'm not 1 for dicking around with mother nature, but how come they can't net some of the healthy carp that carry the disease, they release them into the missippi river. it might kill all those ****ing flying chinese carp:)bulb

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Ha!! Really!!

Water temp is high 70's right now. Measured 78 in Steamboat last week. I thought Havi could get into the 90's.

·
Steady Rollin
1,127 Posts
???? Valtrex
????

·
6,873 Posts
We already know that ANIMALS ARE NOT SAFE IN MOHAVE.....
or pepsi machines for that fact

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
Doesnt suprise me all that river skank:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
We already know that ANIMALS ARE NOT SAFE IN MOHAVE.....
or pepsi machines for that fact
Ya know whats funny, that Pepsi machine is not there any more.........lol Now there is just a spot on the concrete from the pic.....uhh, place....uh, nevermind.......:D

·
1 boat's never enough
107 Posts
This is interesting. A buddy of mine was telling me last week that his parents have a house boat at katherines and two weeks ago went out and had an orange goo all over their boat. Took them a day to get it cleaned up and they thought someone did an air drop to try and clean up the muscles. They normally have tons of them on the sides of their boat and they weren't there that weekend. Also said they saw the dead carp. He said they were going to swab it and bring it back to have it tested but I haven't heard anything back. Anyone else see anything like this?

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
I heard they were also trying to kill the mussel. Any thought that maybe the carp are eating these mussels that are dying?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts