Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Bob, Scott and I were discussing which spark plug to run....
Prefer the NGK's....what heat range????

let the debate began.....:)sphss:partyguy::D

before you ask..it's for the 588

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
NGKs, period.
I like 8s. some like to tune with 7s and run 8s. I toss a 9 in the thing and the readings seem to go to hell. The 7 do seem easier to read, but the 8s are easy enough for me.

I agree with Steel on plug heat ranges though. The hottest plug you don't burn up. I have run 7s in a race at Puddingstone and the side electrode drooped alittle from heat. The gap was about .125 bt the end of the race. Puddingstone is a little unusual in the thing is WOT for 20 laps. We could probably get away with 7 at most courses, but I just buy 8s and it makes it easier.

The hotter the better.
My next choice is Autolites, but I can't seem to read anything but mixture on them. Others swear by them.
Yes, bp298 is right, we are on a "hot date" but nothing too exciting goinmg on yet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
NGKs, period.
I like 8s. some like to tune with 7s and run 8s. I toss a 9 in the thing and the readings seem to go to hell. The 7 do seem easier to read, but the 8s are easy enough for me.

I agree with Steel on plug heat ranges though. The hottest plug you don't burn up. I have run 7s in a race at Puddingstone and the side electrode drooped alittle from heat. The gap was about .125 bt the end of the race. Puddingstone is a little unusual in the thing is WOT for 20 laps. We could probably get away with 7 at most courses, but I just buy 8s and it makes it easier.

The hotter the better.
My next choice is Autolites, but I can't seem to read anything but mixture on them. Others swear by them.
Yes, bp298 is right, we are on a "hot date" but nothing too exciting goinmg on yet.
x2

I like to start with 8's and then go from there... but on the bottle I start with 9's then go from there. Something about having a little bit of safety margin to start off seems real apealing.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You may very well be able to run 7 in that easily. I am not a big fan if running "cold" plugs. The plug will let you know its too hot. I think I would consider 7s as a intial start. That things big and you aren't going to be spinning it like a SBC. Your sure as hell don't need a plug that gives up when your cruising the channel, or trying to dock that beast.
9 in race boats (alky) and 7 in pleasure boat and 6 in stock boats ( BR6FS ) I would run a 6 in that one NGK even have 10/10.5/11 heat ranges by far the best

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Uh Jim, it may have 8 to 1 compression, but it does have a 14-71 blower sitting on it with a fairly decent roller cam and you just recommended a a plug you recommend for a "stocker" Just sayin
missed that( where did he say that? ) go with the 8 or 9 Now much boost?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
missed that( where did he say that? ) go with the 8 or 9 Now much boost?
He neglected to include that "little detail".
It's a 588, 1471, 9-10# boost, hopefully in the 1100hp range. Max rpm 6500.
I think the 7 is a good place ot start. May be a little warm...if he's going to poker run this thing, we can stick some 8's in it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
He neglected to include that "little detail".
It's a 588, 1471, 9-10# boost, hopefully in the 1100hp range. Max rpm 6500.
I think the 7 is a good place ot start. May be a little warm...if he's going to poker run this thing, we can stick some 8's in it.

Hopefully he makes the Monster Bash Poker Run! I'd like to see this motor run!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Hopefully he makes the Monster Bash Poker Run! I'd like to see this motor run!
Biggest deal for me on this project has been vendors and communication. No one seems to be in a hurry to do anything these days. I ordered a set of valve springs and after confirming they were on the shelf and placing the PO, it took them a week to get them out the door...and I STILL don't have them. :mad: Plus, I've been buried and just trying to keep everyone happy. Ed's been very patient and very good to work with on this project and I really appreciate it. I know how badly he wants this to come together and he's got a ton invested, but I do think it'll be worth the wait.
We're almost there.:)devil

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Scott everything you do is Well Worth the Wait :thumb:

On plugs:
Is the bigger # you go the colder the plug ??? And how do you know if your to hot or to cold ??

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Scott everything you do is Well Worth the Wait :thumb:

On plugs:
Is the bigger # you go the colder the plug ??? And how do you know if your to hot or to cold ??
Thanks Mike.:thumb:
Yes, the higher the number, the colder the plug.
Here's great read:

NGK Spark Plugs USA

·
Registered
196 Posts
Curious... Am I understanding this correct? The higher the compression, the colder the plug?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Curious... Am I understanding this correct? The higher the compression, the colder the plug?

I will probably regret posting here....I usually do.lol I am GUESSING they are gonna tell ya thats somewhat true....from a detonation/pinging point of view. A hotter plug is less likely to "set off" an 9 to 1 motor...than it is a 12 to 1 deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts