Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been wanting a jet boat for awhile, and I've been searching the itnernet to find out more, but all I find out is how much I really don't know about jet boats!! :confused: I know boats, know engines, and outdrives...don't know nothin' about a jet.

Are there any stickies here on the forums to give a newb a little info on jets and engine building for jet boats? Whats a diverter, whats a droop? Whats an A,B,C impeller? Single plane or dual plane intake, high rise, dual carbs? high compression, lots of LSA? I DON'T KNOW!

Where can I go to read up?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Welcome.

I sense another case of "morehorsepoweritis" in the early stages.

Run now, very fast, and take your wallet and credit cards with you, and don't look back, or your life will never be the same again. ;)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Welcome.

Run now, very fast, and take your wallet and credit cards with you, and don't look back, or your life will never be the same again. ;)
LMFAO, I agree with this guy, its seriously a disease, and it will :)grn every last nickle you can scrape up.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hey guys, I've been wanting a jet boat for awhile, and I've been searching the itnernet to find out more, but all I find out is how much I really don't know about jet boats!! :confused: I know boats, know engines, and outdrives...don't know nothin' about a jet.

Are there any stickies here on the forums to give a newb a little info on jets and engine building for jet boats? Whats a diverter, whats a droop? Whats an A,B,C impeller? Single plane or dual plane intake, high rise, dual carbs? high compression, lots of LSA? I DON'T KNOW!

Thanks in advance guys.
I hear what you are saying. I am on my second jet boat, and still don't know squat. Well, I do know what DOESN'T work. For example setting an engine too low in the bilge causes the pan to rub against the intake which causes the hull to leak, or using angle iron to mount the motor to the pump base will trash the rear main bearing due to lack of adjustment and play. (Thank you previous owner)

Running the engine on the trailor without taking the the time to disconnect the bolts from the H bar and crank is also bad.

My advice is to get a cheap jet boat- plenty out there- and have fun with it, but realize it's going to be one of those expensive learning experiences. At least that is how it has been for me. I'm up to about 12K into a 3500 dollar boat. (grin)

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
just buy my boat(jet) it is so simple and dependable and you could be just as dumb as i am and not have to worry about a thing...:) welcome to the ride fasten your seatbelt and do you have any pics of your wife or g/f...:Djust alittle intiation for a first timer..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome.

haha, yep! Been there too many times already, thats why all my projects are half-finished! haha. But, I can't stop....its a sickness!

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts

Thanks in advance guys.
Welcome aboard!!! Glad to have another jet lover on the site. And don't worry about your lack of knowledge on jet boats. That's the great thing about Jet boats, they take little to know skill or education to opperate one. Just hop in and go (stab and steer if you will).
V-drives on the other hand, those are bad ass, unfortunatly all those guys are assholes and love to pick on us.
Enjoy your time here fellow jetter..............:)devil

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
good luck, a couple of things to remember on these boards...

1) Don't ask ,"what is the best way to regulater water and/or should i run a thermostat..." you'll get 30 pages of debate

2) Don't say "yeah, but" when one of the pros gives you advice

3) Avoid all quick jet has to say ;)

On a serious note good luck with your new project whatever it may be...and support the vendors/business owners/handymen on this site whenever you need parts or service IMO. (that goes for boats or anything)

** PS ...Oh, and dont' try to go over 70 unless you're a baller!

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

1) Don't ask ,"what is the best way to regulater water and/or should i run a thermostat..." you'll get 30 pages of debate

3) Avoid all quick jet has to say ;)

On a serious note good luck with your new project whatever it may be...and support the vendors/business owners/handymen on this site whenever you need parts or service IMO. (that goes for boats or anything)

4) Don't ask "Which motor oil should I run?" (30 more pages of "I run Brand X") :(:(
Do a thread search, a couple hundred pages exist already.

5) You can post up technical info, unless you are Jetaholic, in which case you must post up full and complete sourcing info (Book or tech source, copyright date, page and paragrgaph number, web links apreciated). ;):D:D

More seriously........................

It's a good place, with a lot of good folks, and a lot of knowledge, both from lake and river boaters and racers pushing the envelope, and jet service and engine folks as well.
There are a few trolls, thre always are, you juct kick them and move on.

The V-drivers only get in the way arround dawn and dusk, as the water's too rough the rest of the day, they sit on the trailer. :D :D;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha, thanks for all the tips guys! It seeemed like you guys really knew your stuff, so I'm very eager to listen to what you all have to say!

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Quick jet.... drives a trailer with a vee-drive on it, thats where you find him after the jets trailer him. He just sits there and mumbles "Quick-Jet" in rain man fashion.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha, after reading that post, I just feel bad for jetaholic.

But, if I took anything away, jet boats need to make their power depending upon what they're doing. If i want to pull a skiier, I should start making my power about 2000 and rev it as high as that combo will take it, if I'm looking to go Mach 5, I need to make my power band to reach as many R's as possible?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That depends on your impeller cut. Im sure someone her can post a impeller/hp chart for you to give you an idea of what you may be looking for. I know the first time I saw one i learned alot. Ive learned alot of things on this site, including the fact that according to the berk flow charts ive seen my motor is only making bout 400hp.:|err Winter project!!:)devil

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome.

We have a large budget deficit which was a surplus when Bush took office. The National Debt increased at an historic rate under Bush, and now that his term is near over, the economy in the sh*tter.
we all should be bright enough to know, that the Bush folks have massively over spent resulting in huge debt and deficits. Somebody will eventually have to pay and would rather it not be my Son or my grandchildren.

I don't know where you found these quotes... Acorn, or a Collage Professor
I have never seen such a Disclaimer, but God no one is responsible for any thing anymore... The "New World Order" will solve it... Ha Ha Ha! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti Boss21 & Smokin'

3) Avoid all quick jet has to say

4) Don't ask "Which motor oil should I run?" (30 more pages of "I run Brand X")
Do a thread search, a couple hundred pages exist already.

5) You can post up technical info, unless you are Jetaholic, in which case you must post up full and complete sourcing info (Book or tech source, copyright date, page and paragrgaph number, web links apreciated).

More seriously........................

It's a good place, with a lot of good folks, and a lot of knowledge, both from lake and river boaters and racers pushing the envelope, and jet service and engine folks as well.
There are a few trolls, thre always are, you juct kick them and move on.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
We have a large budget deficit which was a surplus when Bush took office. The National Debt increased at an historic rate under Bush, and now that his term is near over, the economy in the sh*tter.
we all should be bright enough to know, that the Bush folks have massively over spent resulting in huge debt and deficits. Somebody will eventually have to pay and would rather it not be my Son or my grandchildren.

I don't know where you found these quotes... Acorn, or a Collage Professor
I have never seen such a Disclaimer, but God no one is responsible for any thing anymore... The "New World Order" will solve it... Ha Ha Ha! Thanks!
:)violent44

1 - 20 of 22 Posts