Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will there be a round two?

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Will there be a round two?
I doubt it. There's alot of non-union competition out there...and the industry still has a bad taste in it's mouth from the last one (both sides).

Stranger things have happened, though.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
The last big strike is what helped to introduce the self check-out lanes into our lives.
There's alot of technology out there coming down the pipe.

I'm not a retailer, but with rf tags on products (next generation UPC codes), there will probably be a day in the not-so-distant future with no checkout lines...and customized in-store ad/couponing based on your shopper profile (remember the movie "Minority Report"?).

It's already being tested.

·
6,873 Posts
I doubt it. There's alot of non-union competition out there...and the industry still has a bad taste in it's mouth from the last one (both sides).

Stranger things have happened, though.
Well all those non union stores are closing their doors. Albertsons is canning people left and right and closing stores. Don't like where this is heading

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Well all those non union stores are closing their doors. Albertsons is canning people left and right and closing stores. Don't like where this is heading
Albertsons So Cal was bought by SuperValu. SuperValu is a nation wholesaler and retailer...but they are up to their eyeballs in debt. According to their filings, they are barely making their interest payments.

The tough part for these guys is that through all this industry consolidation, they have to raise their margins to cover the added debt. The unions don't care, because they negotiate for all the members (some retailers are doing well, and can afford the added cost of union labor- Stater Bros for example).

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
Albertsons So Cal was bought by SuperValu. SuperValu is a nation wholesaler and retailer...but they are up to their eyeballs in debt. According to their filings, they are barely making their interest payments.

The tough part for these guys is that through all this industry consolidation, they have to raise their margins to cover the added debt. The unions don't care, because they negotiate for all the members (some retailers are doing well, and can afford the added cost of union labor- Stater Bros for example).
What is it you do for the markets?

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
What union ever cared about the corporation that pays their members and their dues, in turn? NONE! Not One!
Seems they would rather see the companies go under, the manufacturers go off shore, the country go bankrupt than reach a reasonable compromise that could make the parent companies more profitable where they could hire more people. And this is the grocery industry? Really? Is it that hard to train somebody to bag, check, stock, etc. groceries? Do we really need the "real value" of the union worker here? Gimme a break. It's time every state adopts a "Right to Work" option.

I got news for anyone who believes this economy won't call for some very substantial cutbacks. They are simply wrong!

Unions have far outlived their original intended purposes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ever since that last strike, i only shop at Stater bros! WAY better prices and service!!! :)devil

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
What union ever cared about the corporation that pays their members and their dues, in turn? NONE! Not One!
Seems they would rather see the companies go under, the manufacturers go off shore, the country go bankrupt than reach a reasonable compromise that could make the parent companies more profitable where they could hire more people. And this is the grocery industry? Really? Is it that hard to train somebody to bag, check, stock, etc. groceries? Do we really need the "real value" of the union worker here? Gimme a break. It's time every state adopts a "Right to Work" option.

I got news for anyone who believes this economy won't call for some very substantial cutbacks. They are simply wrong!

Unions have far outlived their original intended purposes.

I'm not a Union lover but Arizona being a right to work State is sad. Wages being $7-8.00 who lives on that? :mad:

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
I'm not a Union lover but Arizona being a right to work State is sad. Wages being $7-8.00 who lives on that? :mad:
I've lived here my entire life and I never have. I'm far more valuable and I negotiated every wage I ever made in the private sector before starting my own business.

p.s. Lots of us make far better than prevailing union wages here! A man who knows his value to an employer will never need a union to prove it! :D

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
I've lived here my entire life and I never have. I'm far more valuable and I negotiated every wage I ever made in the private sector before starting my own business.

p.s. Lots of us make far better than prevailing union wages here! A man who knows his value to an employer will never need a union to prove it! :D

Truthfully I believe times have passed you by,it is the employer calling the shots and people begging for jobs and there are many college educated intelligent people out of a job. I understand you are different.:)hand

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Truthfully I believe times have passed you by,it is the employer calling the shots and people begging for jobs and there are many college educated intelligent people out of a job. I understand you are different.:)hand
A very good client/friend of mine has about 35 employees. He had a couple hundred before the Kenyan took office. Every single one of his employees is compensated based upon his value to the company and the revenue he saves/produces. Each employee has an annual review where they discuss compensation, profit sharing (which this employer loves to include in the compensation packages,) benefits packages and options based upon this worker's performance. He goes a step further by keeping their wages between the employee and the employer. Any mention of wages among the other employees or staff beyond accounting who cuts checks is grounds for immediate dismissal - agreed to by every employee at their hiring. I guarantee you it's not because he pays too little. His average employee today has been there for 14 years.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I shop for some things at Albertsons and have noticed the past couple months some prices going up dramatically. I just figured it was transportation costs driving it up. Perhaps it is more than that.

Since the strike I only do about 30-40% of my shopping at Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons. The rest I do at Trader Joes and Target. Most the Target's around here are converting to complete grocery departments and the prices compared to Albertsons etc are dramatically lower on many items. And I mean dramatically like 30-50% in many cases. They don't have everything but I'll be a person could easily do 70% of their shopping at these Targets and see a big decline in their monthly food bills. Walmart is probably similar but I don't like Walmarts so don't go there.

Pre strike I probably did 90% of my shopping at the majors. Changed my habits and have not gone back. Saving quite a bit of $ as a result. It helps too that I have a Target and a Trader Joes within walking distance of Rex Marine. :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Like Kilr said, Albertsons is canning people left and right; laying off tons of others. They are flying ALL their store directors back to Minnesota for a big meeting on Monday. I wonder if they're packing up and leaving Cali?

Staters is not doing so well either - Brown said they were down 30% last year; 15% the year before. And they're grinding their employees too; try shopping there on a Sunday - not fun.

I shop for the family and will shop at Cardena's, El Tapatio and local Asian markets. Not any cheaper and the service, and selection, sucks ass, uless you hit their ad items. Idf that's all we're left with, we truly are screwed.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Wages will be supply and demand. I think with exception of union scenarios like Albertsons above perhaps. Like me though, I'm shopping elsewhere because of Al's rising prices. I'm confident I'm not alone. In today's times a few hundred or a few thousand bucks saved is a big deal over a year.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I shop for some things at Albertsons and have noticed the past couple months some prices going up dramatically. I just figured it was transportation costs driving it up. Perhaps it is more than that.

Since the strike I only do about 30-40% of my shopping at Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons. The rest I do at Trader Joes and Target. Most the Target's around here are converting to complete grocery departments and the prices compared to Albertsons etc are dramatically lower on many items. And I mean dramatically like 30-50% in many cases. They don't have everything but I'll be a person could easily do 70% of their shopping at these Targets and see a big decline in their monthly food bills. Walmart is probably similar but I don't like Walmarts so don't go there.

Pre strike I probably did 90% of my shopping at the majors. Changed my habits and have not gone back. Saving quite a bit of $ as a result. It helps too that I have a Target and a Trader Joes within walking distance of Rex Marine. :)
That's what I've found. Target, even Super Target - you can find some things, but not everything. Trader Joes is Trader Joes - they have some cool things, a few nice pieces of produce, but generally everything else is over-priced. Friendly though.

That's what I hate about the cost of food these days. A mediocre cut of meat might cost you $10 a pound if not on sale; Asparagus $4.00 a pound, Apples can cost 1.00 to 1.50 each...COFFEE IS UP TO $10! So I shop at this store for their ad; that store for their weekly ad or produce etc. I miss the days of going into just one market.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
I don't believe it entry jobs are a living for anyone. It is a start for the workforce though for people that have never had a job. My first job working for the city government, minimum wage was $2.90 hr. I damn sure couldn't live on it, but I had enough money to survive as a kid and had a few spare bucks to take my date to the movies.

Funny you should mention that. The news (NBC and what have you) were touting this morning how businesses were looking for people that could hold professional jobs with degrees and such (engineers, medical professionals, etc) and were having a tough time filling those positions.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts