Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How was it?

We are heading out this week and we are looking for some prime houseboat beaches to set-up camp.

Got any good recommendations?

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts
We were set up in Kane Wash Canyon, which is just West of Cookie Jar Butte in Padre Bay. Nice beach, good afternoon shade, etc...

Pretty much every canyon had beach availible in it. I noticed a bunch of spots in Gunsight Canyon also as were both heading out and heading in. If you prefer further uplake, Oak Canyon had a few spots availible as well. Remember also, if you are in a houseboat, the lake is dropping about an inch a day so don't put the houseboats too far up on the beach. It can be a bitch to drag them off.

Have a great time!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Couple more quick questions....

1) Is there a prevailing wind direction when the monsoons blow? i.e. is it better to seek shelter in a canyon that deads ends in a North, West, South or East direction?

2) What time of year do the monsoons normally start to die down?

3) In your opinion, do the rental houseboats come with enough anchors, rope, and sand spike's etc, or do you recommend bringing more of our own?

Thanks again!

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts

1) Is there a prevailing wind direction when the monsoons blow? i.e. is it better to seek shelter in a canyon that deads ends in a North, West, South or East direction?

3) In your opinion, do the rental houseboats come with enough anchors, rope, and sand spike's etc, or do you recommend bringing more of our own?

Thanks again!
Wind generally comes from the Southwest, so if you can find a cove that's protected to the south, that's what is preferable.

Monsoons usually die down about this time of year, however, this year seems to be running a bit long. I would plan on them still.

As far as anchors go, each boat comes with 4. The optimum placement is 2 anchors each side, placed 45 degrees to the keel line of the houseboat. Make sure you bury your anchors at either the beach line. If you cant do that, then make sure you soak the sand around them really good. Sand Spikes are ok for a short time, but don't trust them for overnight anchoring.

When I use the above anchor placement, I usually just tie my boat to the outer most anchor line with a carabiner on the bow eye and then a dockline tied between the rear of the boat and the houseboat line.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

What Mardonzi said.

We went up one year on our Tritoon the week after Labor day and had our ass handed to us for 3 solid nights out of the 8 we were there. Hail, massive lightening, wind, pelting rain all made for a good story later. ;)

Never hurts to be prepared for some storms or wind up there.

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts
Anyone know an good Anasazi anti-monsoon dance? :(
Don't let em scare ya off. If you prepare for them, they are manageable. Just make sure you have a good place to hide from them. They only last a short period of time then the calm after the storm is way cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts