Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Hmm, more lift on intake then exhaust.
Rellative small inch big block with vary good heads
Duration @ .050" the same. Hmm possibly based on very good I/E ratio.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I have that Mag article....suprisingly. I remember when I first read it and I was in awe they let that into publication. Yes, I will state right now, without bitterness, I don't believe it....Not with a near correct reading dyno will I ever believe it. Not flaming...just stating my opnion.

Also, I had read in some boating magazine or etc details on the same motor, but it was publicized with lower hp. Kinda weird.

Anyhow, dig deep into your HP head, read the specs many times, and ask yourself if that's possible. Truly ask yourself.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I just figured it out. Click on the image, and then when that comes up, click on it again. It will blow it up so you can read it.

I see it is from Engine Masters. That article is the exact duplicate of what was published in Car Craft. The cover read '911.'

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have that Mag article....suprisingly. I remember when I first read it and I was in awe they let that into publication. Yes, I will state right now, without bitterness, I don't believe it....Not with a near correct reading dyno will I ever believe it. Not flaming...just stating my opnion.

Also, I had read in some boating magazine or etc details on the same motor, but it was publicized with lower hp. Kinda weird.

Anyhow, dig deep into your HP head, read the specs many times, and ask yourself if that's possible. Truly ask yourself.
I don't remember reading anything in a boat mag on this motor, but it is Steve Brule' jet boat motor. What looks to be the same motor with a different cam, (and larger) made less horsepower until they dropped on a T-ram appeared in Super Chevy
http://www.superchevy.com/technical...k_tunnel_ram_intake/induction_comparison.html
As much as it may seem very doubtful, looking at specs to determine the out put of any given motor can be a little misleading. Ever look at the specs of a
a Sprint Cup engine, and the weight and frontal area of a car. A 60's engineer would tell no way. But they do, or they do a damn good job of lying about it:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
It was Car Craft some years back. Well, unless Engine Masters got the same copy to replublish. Again, I have the copy if anyone wants the date/volume, etc I'll get it for you.
The Engine Masters Magazine has republished several articles over the years.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
It was bolt on stuff. The carb, the spacer, the intake - yes CNC'd, but not a full on massaged one - the heads.

Sure, the shortblock was given care and attention and a vacuum pump used, but this is a very repeatable engine to be put together by many other people quite easily.

It is no where near a hardcore R&D'd project with a quazzilion massaging hours.

On the flip side, I'm sure this engine was a very strong one. But, not near what the dyno report said. Same thing with Steels - since you are referencing his motor with this thread - as in it was a very strong build, jus not near what his dyno report stated. Yeh, I know, dame dyno facility.

I had run the #'s on Steels since his dyno info showed everything needed and the corr was very high. Of course, Mag's don't publish all the dyni info , therefore you can't get the exact, however, I have seen enough outside dyno sheets from there to see the same corr #'s again and again.

Yeh, I know...WTF ? LOL.

Very strong motors ? Yes ! Correct dyno #'s ? No ! Not going against how good of a builder/tuner/or anything like that.

GN7 - you are very sceptical and quite sharp - a little harsh, but heh, it is what it is :D - and I would expect that you would look into things like this a little futher than accepting them for face or printed value.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
hil:)Thanks for the compliment...I think. You should know that i am an aquired taste. People who have met me don't dislike me half as much as those who haven't. hil:) I don't think that anybody familiar with Westech disagrees the dyno can be a little happy. But I do have to ask, if the dyno is nothing more than a variable torque converter tied to a strain gauge, what is the total spread between a stingy dyno and a happy one. And where exactly do you fudge the numbers. I can tell you this, my motors wouldn't go on the dyno they do now until the owner fixed the exhaust, and the rooms intake so that it more resembled reality. Again, I have to ask, if nascar teams were allowed 470 inches and unlimited intake, roller cams and even with conventional siamiese port heads, what kind of numbers do you think they could produce? I think too many people just "settle" for a decent number without trying to find as much as they can in a given build. I agree, this is a very good number for the build, and thought as much when I first read it the first time, and again when I posted it. But then, I have never tried to duplicate it, so I am still open to the fact that it is possible. I may be building a N/A 525 this year so maybe I can see where that falls into place HP/CID.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I may be building a N/A 525 this year so maybe I can see where that falls into place HP/CID.
If staying with conventional heads, take a look at C Boggs info on a 522cid with his Vic heads. Very impressive !

Many places to fudge with dyno's. If you where just to read the strain guage you would be looking at the 'brake numbers.' It's tough to fudge here - yes, I've helped calibrate a dyno. The easier place to fudge is with many of the #'s the dyno software uses to correct the 'brake #'s' for elevation, ahem - elavation, barometric psi, ahem - barometric psi - air temp, and etc.

What makes one start to figure out what some places do is by finding the dyno facilities elevation and looking up their weather for that day. Many weather stations record it by the hour.

I am like you - I know - f'ing AMAZING !!! :D - where I look for and try to post real info. WHy ? Because others deserve it. Do you know how many people chase their tails in their boats or cars for a 'bad tune' or bad chassis part or what have you because the vehicle does not have an engine they think they have and bought ?

I won't quibble over 10,15,20 hp or what have you. But when the info given is a true lie or major representation, well, that needs to be brought out.

Some people have really strong motors but because they make it out to be something it's not, well, that when people speak out against it and many times get's taken as 'you said my motor sucks.' Although, that's not said or infered.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
CFM...how do you say the corr. factor on my engine was il-legit when you don't have all the weather info for the dyno room that day?

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I don't remember reading anything in a boat mag on this motor, but it is Steve Brule' jet boat motor. What looks to be the same motor with a different cam, (and larger) made less horsepower until they dropped on a T-ram appeared in Super Chevy
http://www.superchevy.com/technical...k_tunnel_ram_intake/induction_comparison.html
As much as it may seem very doubtful, looking at specs to determine the out put of any given motor can be a little misleading. Ever look at the specs of a
a Sprint Cup engine, and the weight and frontal area of a car. A 60's engineer would tell no way. But they do, or they do a damn good job of lying about it:D
Funny thing is, Brule' was the one running the dyno that day (on my engine) and Dave Ebbert was there as well. Neither of them "guessed' my engine would make 800hp. Here's the thing...I hadn't been around the boat thing for very long back then. I had been posting the build and ALL the details on HB, and Dave Ebbert was someone I was getting some jet boat specific info from, (and some parts) and he was very familiar with the build by the time I was done. So here comes a relatively unknown, some "new guy" bringing an engine that's been well publicised and just might have some potential. Can someone please explain to me what benefit it would serve for Brule', with Dave sitting right along side him, to pump up the numbers on what could possibly be considered a "rival" enigne?
To quote Brule' at the end of the session: "...hell, my 467 doesn't make that much power..." Now I don't know what 467 he was referring to, but he and Dave were both impressed, and I think a bit surprised with this "garage engine" from some Central Coast yahoo.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Can someone please explain to me what benefit it would serve for Brule', with Dave sitting right along side him, to pump up the numbers on what could possibly be considered a "rival" enigne?

None.

It's not like their is a button that they can hit that says 'Jacked'. Learn more about the inputs (not just sensors) of dyno's and you may start to see the light.

Again, listen to me and some others for once, your motor made around 750hp, which is impressive for the cid and 'basic port job' on those heads.

So, yes, I believe they where impressed.

Jeez.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts