Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got all my wiring done, retards work like they should and all i''ve got left is to mount and wire the steering wheel. have 2 stages of nitrous to operate and using 2 buttons isn't gonna be easy. soo what i'm getting to is : does anybody make a double throw button? 1 that will toggle the 1st stage, then press it down alittle further to hit the 2nd stage? be nice to just mash down alittle for the 1st, then push on past a spring or something to get to the 2nd. i'm using grounds for the relay activation.

what do you goes with 2stages do? think i remember seeing cs19's wheel with the popoff control etc., but 2 buttons , 1 on each side is gonna be hard to control. my 2nd only operates if the 1st stage is sprayin already.

any help or ideas would be appreciated, just looking for a better way than just 2 buttons.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
A lot of guys run a RPM window switch. You can set Stage 1 to activate at 3500rpm, then Stage 2 to come on at 4500rpm for instance. Neither would do anything if you don't have your momentary thumb switch engaged, press the button and bingo - at the right RPM you get the shot.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
i've got all my wiring done, retards work like they should and all i''ve got left is to mount and wire the steering wheel. have 2 stages of nitrous to operate and using 2 buttons isn't gonna be easy. soo what i'm getting to is : does anybody make a double throw button? 1 that will toggle the 1st stage, then press it down alittle further to hit the 2nd stage? be nice to just mash down alittle for the 1st, then push on past a spring or something to get to the 2nd. i'm using grounds for the relay activation.

what do you goes with 2stages do? think i remember seeing cs19's wheel with the popoff control etc., but 2 buttons , 1 on each side is gonna be hard to control. my 2nd only operates if the 1st stage is sprayin already.

any help or ideas would be appreciated, just looking for a better way than just 2 buttons.
No, no "double throw" buttons. Imagine trying to push a button down half-way, when the ENTIRE travel for it is 1/10", or even less, now add water chop.

Double throw TOGGLE SWITCHES exist.

Can't see an RPM "window" switch to be worth a damn on a jet boat. No resistance to the RPM wrap-up.

I can't see any use for 2-staging on a jet boat anyhow, unless you run it on a time controller (in a drag race). Something like 1st on after a 2 sec. delay, then seccond on after 4 secconds.

But that's from the button-less guy with a toggle switch. :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Also could use a throttle switch for the 1st stage and put the 2nd stage on a button
Yea, that could be done too, but IMPATIENT doesn't trust the switches reliability enough. Has to have it on a button.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Why a double Shot and not just a longer shot that increases volume?

cave, just looking for some education.

·
Breathing Diesel
2,111 Posts

Why not just put a 871 on it??

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
i have to agree with 2 stages on a jet boat,but that means nothing hell its your boat.

tom 2 buttons bro.or a time delay
a wot throttle switch will work okay for 1st stage if its not alot of juice so pump doesnt blow out.then push button for 2nd stage.:)bulb

either way hope someone helps you out with the question bro.:)hand

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
On the two stage question we ran one for two seasons ; two 150 shots.

First stage was on a throttle switch, second was on the wheel. Never had a problem with the throttle switch.

Decided simplify the system and go back to one large shot.

How big are the shot's ?

Sleeper CP:D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I never had a problem with a throttle WOT switch and toggle switch setup either, for 27 years (1979 to 2006).
Solenoids finally quit (Nitrous one finally refused to open under pressure).

Newer hardware worked beautifully last summer, same setup

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
If you have a decent amount of nitrous on the first kit you dont want it coming on with a WOT switch, it will likely blow the pump away (cavitate) and park it on the revlimiter, not good while on the bottle. If you set it up to come on with some delay (timer or something) after the micro switch is tripped that could work for the first kit then grab the 2nd with a button on the wheel. Or just put 2 buttons on the wheel. There are endless ways to have the kits come on at desired times after the micro switch is tripped, you could fine tune when each system comes on and off after the switch is tripped, the car guys are heavy into that stuff. Might check yellowbullet.com. i think Edelbrock makes a neat timer that handles mulitiple kits.

Rpm window switch is a bad idea.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Listen to CS, I think he has some pretty good experiance with nitrous and jets!:)devil

For further info, I would suggest calling Steve Johnson @ Induction Solutions (815-341-8853)

I have talked to him a couple of times on the system I am planning to install. He is a great guy and one of the sharpest nitrous guy's in motorsports. He will be more than happy to assist you with any question about tune-up or triggering and it doesn't matter who's system you are using he is more than happy to help.
He can give you great advise about the Edelbrock timing system Chris mentioned as he developed it for them. ;)

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
i have to agree with the rpm switch bad idea.;)

hey tom run the wot for 150 shot outta the hole if the pump will handle it if not do 100 then push a button for the final big kaboommmmmmmmmmmmm:)sphss

2 buttons hell i have enough problems pushing 1 while working the divirder and trying to stay straight after a 30 pack.wow i would really crash with 2 buttons,lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)hand

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
starting out runnin 200hp on each stage:D the kit will adjust to 800hp total but my limit is in the 450-500hp with this motor and headgaskets.

i want direct control over each stage, a timer would scare me:)sphss

here's how i have my system set-up:
the arming switch has to be on(ground circuit, it also grounds the nitrous fuel pump relay when system gets armed)

from arming switch to s/wheel button, thru the button to the 1stage fuel pressure safety switch, thru the w.o.t. back to the 1stage sole relay.

i wired the 2nd stage into the 1st stage's safetys but it has to have the 2nd stage button down and the 2nd stage fuel pressure safety switch has to be on also. so the 2nd stage will shut off if the 1stage's fuel switch see's lower pressure before the 2nd stage's fuel switch. i wired it as safe as i could. pulling out 6 degrees on the 1stage, 8 more for the 2nd stage for a total of 22 degrees advance on the 400hp shot.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Why are you pulling so much timing? Im thinking pulling 16 degrees is about right for a 400 shot, maybe 17-18 to be safe? Make sure you re-phase your rotor for your total timing on nitrous, thats a lot of retard. Nothing wrong with those timers they are reliable. What other buttons do you have on the wheel? Maybe just use 2 buttons if you want control but if youve got a diverter button you will have your hands full.

starting out runnin 200hp on each stage:D the kit will adjust to 800hp total but my limit is in the 450-500hp with this motor and headgaskets.

i want direct control over each stage, a timer would scare me:)sphss

here's how i have my system set-up:
the arming switch has to be on(ground circuit, it also grounds the nitrous fuel pump relay when system gets armed)

from arming switch to s/wheel button, thru the button to the 1stage fuel pressure safety switch, thru the w.o.t. back to the 1stage sole relay.

i wired the 2nd stage into the 1st stage's safetys but it has to have the 2nd stage button down and the 2nd stage fuel pressure safety switch has to be on also. so the 2nd stage will shut off if the 1stage's fuel switch see's lower pressure before the 2nd stage's fuel switch. i wired it as safe as i could. pulling out 6 degrees on the 1stage, 8 more for the 2nd stage for a total of 22 degrees advance on the 400hp shot.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pulling out 6 for the 1st stage, then another 8 for the 2nd, for a total advance of 22(started out 36, then retarded 14, to get 22);)

i think i'm gonna run over to texas and go to radio shack tonite, see if they have 2 small well built buttons(kinda like the valet button on most aftermarket alarms) and just put them on 1 hand of the wheel. just move my thumb over and while holding down the 1stage, toggle the 2nd. i don't think i'll need the 2nd for more than 2-3seconds, but with a timer, i'd be limited to how much time i allowed, not what i "needed"

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
You don't have enough fingers IMPATIENT. Automate SOMETHING, or grow a 3rd arm dude.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't have enough fingers IMPATIENT. Automate SOMETHING, or grow a 3rd arm dude.
lol, yeah and throw a manual divertor in the mix and i'll be busyyyy:D i did find a couple of metal push buttons that are pretty small. since i'm just toggle'n a relay and using ground to do that, they otta live a long life. i'll just launch on motor, set divertor, grab the 1st stage, then the 2nd stage if i need it. i pin'd my divertor ratchet so i could just pop it outta my low setting and slam it up and over without looking at placement, so that'll help some, i hope:)sphss:)sphss:)sphss

1 - 20 of 21 Posts