Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta boat i bought a few months back, it dint' run but was told that it was a 55 mph boat, normal!!! i tuned, rebuilt the carbs, cleaned it all up... took it to the lake we g.p.s. @ 73 mph... GREAT but the boat seems it like to be out of the water more than just haulin across the lake, no matter what condition the water is, smooth or choppie... it also like to cavitater on hard acceleration from a dead stop... was told to put a loader on the suction side of the jet... i dont think that is goonna fix both my problem's... What do i do???? im at a loss at this point...

·
Registered
829 Posts
what kind of boat? do you have an inducer? what kind of impeller? what kind of pump? do you have a place diverter? do you have a ride plate? ALL these will help, depending on your boat. if you have a normal v-bottom boat without any bottom work, it will do as you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
lets see some Pics of the boat (inside & out) & the bottom, if, you can...some1 on here will be able to help you out :)...just sayin'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 19 foot boat. 95 hono mold, i think... d.m.v. paper work says undocumented vessel... has 454 w/berkly pump... i think its the 12jh??? clean out external of transom...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it has ride plate and place diverter as well... i the diverter where the boat feels its at max mph... dont play with it too much... its very hard to use if you are under power... needs new cable i think... this maybe a dumb quewstion but how do i post pistures on here???

·
Registered
829 Posts
yes it has ride plate and place diverter as well... i the diverter where the boat feels its at max mph... dont play with it too much... its very hard to use if you are under power... needs new cable i think... this maybe a dumb quewstion but how do i post pistures on here???
you will need to upload it onto a host (photobucket.com) and copy the link onto this site. or if you have low bytes on the image, you can upload them by clicking "Aattachments" below.

·
Registered
829 Posts
its a 19 foot boat. 95 hono mold, i think... d.m.v. paper work says undocumented vessel... has 454 w/berkly pump... i think its the 12jh??? clean out external of transom...
A 19ft Hondo is a good mold and with what you mentioned, it sounds right for the speed. If you want more speed at a safe ride, you will have to have someone work on the bottom. Just as anything else, motor+pump+bottom will be the way to go. V-bottoms usually have hooks on the bottom, so they are good till about 70-80mph. After that, it'll be squirrely if you add some power. Someone will experience should shime in later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when you say work on the botom what do you mean, what would have to be done??? would it have to go to a shop or can i do it in my back yard nd i will post pic tomorrow, i looked at my pix and they are all of the boat in the water...

·
Registered
829 Posts
when you say work on the botom what do you mean, what would have to be done??? would it have to go to a shop or can i do it in my back yard nd i will post pic tomorrow, i looked at my pix and they are all of the boat in the water...
bottom is the bottom of the boat. if it is uneven or has a hook, it will make the boat react differently. most v-bottoms have a hook in front of the intake. by having a bottom done, it will change the way the boat handles. radius keels are better for high speeds. if youve never done it, or do know what to do, its highly recommened to take it to a shop. if you want to go faster, get a safer boat like a gullwing or tunnel hull. if you want to sink some money into your hull, then thats your choice. theres plenty of people who keep the same bottom and get good numbers. pump work will do a lot on a boat too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was looking at stainless inpellers for it but dont you have to have a perfict match between hosepower and what pitch... they are costly but worth it if you want the fastest boat... i was thinking of rebuilding this motor and hopping for 800 horse bye next season but the way your talking i should fix the botom first...

·
Registered
829 Posts
i was looking at stainless inpellers for it but dont you have to have a perfict match between hosepower and what pitch... they are costly but worth it if you want the fastest boat... i was thinking of rebuilding this motor and hopping for 800 horse bye next season but the way your talking i should fix the botom first...
there is a hp to impeller chart floating around on this site. for what hp you have now, your alum impeller is fine. you can cut the impeller down to get more rpm's and possibly more speed. if you want a fast boat, look into getting a gullwing or tunnel. like i said, theres a few fast v-bottoms out there, so dont let the previous sentence discourage you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks man maybe she'll just stay a family boat, i posted a few pix on jet boat pix they are kinda small but at least youll get to see it... ill keep my eyes open for another haull...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope that thiese pix will help you find the solution to my issue... i was told that the impeller shows signs of prop burn??? i seen that it needs to be replaced, BADLY!!!! what is prop burn??? do i need to put a different pitch impeller??? i'm not tryong to be a bug, but i'm very anal abput this boat if it's not top notch it don't hit the water!!! if you noticed the 1/8" lip where the water enters on the hull, is that ok or need to be removed??? i was told that the boat was mad in three rivers C.A. bye a well known guy... i'm trying to figure out who he is... and contact him to get maybe a little more information about the boat... i was told this morning that i am the third owner ant that the orginal owner had this boat custom made so it can't be a hono!!! the vin dose not start with HO...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Go out and enjoy the boat this summer. Don't know what prop burn is. Looks like the impeller could use some clean-up but run it. If you are going to build 800 HP then you will need to switch to a stainless impeller and have the pump gone thru at the same time.

I don't see a lip that you are talking about. If you want to check the bottom for straightness, take a 6 or 8ft straight edge and put it up against the bottom from transom forward and see if you have any gaps between the straight edge and the hull. If you do you have hook. That would be a good project for you to do over the winter and will be needed if you add 800HP.

One thing I did see is your fuel filter looks restrictive. Needs to be changed for a higher flowing filter.

Injoy it this summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was told its about to come apart, so im stuck bro... im a one income family and cant afford huge costly fixes... it vibrates on hard exceleration, look at previous post, totally forgot his screen name, but could that 1/8" cause the cavitation??? he was talking about hooks??? i was told bye prevous owner that this boat was specially made for the orginal owner bye a guy out of three rivers c.a... but i'd like to run with the locals but the cavitation has me beat off the line then i gotta chace em down... its all about the wholeshot... but thats my biggest problem, cavitation!!!!!!!! dead stop and mash on it she dont want to go anywhere... and bye next summer i'm hopping for 800 plus h.p... were gonna tear it down this winter and go through it... the guy that had it before me said the only thing he did to it was gas and go and chanbge the oil once a year, nothing else...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't see where the 1/8" lip is. Is it on the intake to the pump? You could replace the rock grate with a loader grate which helps load the pump. The only one to get is from MPD, IMO. Need to thru bolt a loader grate and use grade 8 bolts. An inducer ( small propeller installed in front of the impeller) helps with cavatation but would need to rebuild the pump.

Show us pictures of the boat and tell us what the HIN # is to identify what hull it is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts