Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
No but I have been by there...we live locally...to be honest, had a hard time getting the owner to pay much attention to me or be very enthusiastic! What are you having done???

I know another guy in town I would refer depending on the specific job!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Call So. Cal. Speed and Marine in Moorpark. Mario is an awesome mechanic, honest, straight to the point with out all the B.S. and reasonably priced.

661-644-3177 cell
805-553-9712 shop

·
Some guy
3,648 Posts
Anybody have any work done there
Jim Lange who owns Hi Tech is extremely knowledgable, and has done work for a few of my long time friends for many years. Knowing these guys the way I do, they would not take anything back to him if the results were not excellent.

·
Registered
204 Posts
People skills are high on my list and my experience with Lange was not very good. Although it was many years ago, all I got was how much he new about boats and he raced this and he raced that. But he stretched me out on when my tune up would finally get done. I never went back.I also had a very bad experience at The " Marine service center". That guy was suppossed to change my impeller with a scheduled maintenance. The next summer I had an impeller seize. I pulled the pump off to see that the manufacture paint on the nuts and bolts had never been cracked. It was a good thing the impeller seized when putting the boat in the water or I would have been floating.So with boat mechanics I'm particular now. I will always go over everything that is said to be done ( I learned a lesson). A clean shop also helps peak my interest...Good luck.

·
Registered
936 Posts
New to cats were you looking for a reach around or a top notch shop? Lange knows his shit.....
No, just some eye contact and an actual aknowledgment that I was a real consumer looking for a price...I am sure that the dude knows his stuff as he has been in town for a long time. I make no opinion on his mechanical talents! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, its' a boat shop not Nordstroms Brittany!

No, just some eye contact and an actual aknowledgment that I was a real consumer looking for a price...I am sure that the dude knows his stuff as he has been in town for a long time. I make no opinion on his mechanical talents! :D
If you have a fast boat, and you aren't aware of Jim Lange's esteemed place in this industry, then perhaps you should be more concerned about your own ignorance. Jim built the best boats to ever come out of Cole's shop. His own shop is outstanding. He's honest. He's got integrity. He's just a pretty humble guy considering his achievements. I'd guess that for every guy that comes in there and plunks down real money, there are 20 guys like you calling Jim up for free advice or price shopping.
Jim has lost a lot of friends to Drag Boat Racing. And he's had his own horrific crash too. I saw it.
So let me point out your problem. When you go looking for a heart surgeon do you price shop and look for someone who you like to have a beer with? Or do you look for the guy who has the best success rate, is a real craftsman, engineer and scientist, and has the respect of his peers?
I have several friends with boat shops and engine shops and I hear stories about guys like you all the time.
So I'd suggest you sell your boat. Buy a Volvo, of course you'll need AC and GPS. Then spend your weekends at the mall.
Leave boats and The River to the guys who take their boats to Jim because they don't have time to work on it themselves, and they know Jim is just about the best.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
wow bump, having a bad day? JJk94 asked for opinions, new 2 cats gave him his.
give him yours, but dont jump on cats a$$ for expressing his.

part of owning a shop is dealing with public, dealing with 20 to get $$ from a few is the norm.

is this your first post or just a new name to hide behind??

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
Relax Bump

I was wondering if the owner of this shop is giving the BIG BALLER/RIVER RAT BUMP a reach around, flippin relax on the guy that didn't say anything harsh about your buddy. Go kick some more tires yourself!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you have a fast boat, and you aren't aware of Jim Lange's esteemed place in this industry, then perhaps you should be more concerned about your own ignorance. Jim built the best boats to ever come out of Cole's shop. His own shop is outstanding. He's honest. He's got integrity. He's just a pretty humble guy considering his achievements. I'd guess that for every guy that comes in there and plunks down real money, there are 20 guys like you calling Jim up for free advice or price shopping.
Jim has lost a lot of friends to Drag Boat Racing. And he's had his own horrific crash too. I saw it.
So let me point out your problem. When you go looking for a heart surgeon do you price shop and look for someone who you like to have a beer with? Or do you look for the guy who has the best success rate, is a real craftsman, engineer and scientist, and has the respect of his peers?
I have several friends with boat shops and engine shops and I hear stories about guys like you all the time.
So I'd suggest you sell your boat. Buy a Volvo, of course you'll need AC and GPS. Then spend your weekends at the mall.
Leave boats and The River to the guys who take their boats to Jim because they don't have time to work on it themselves, and they know Jim is just about the best.
Wow, go easy dude! He just wanted an opinion. I would say if the guys not friendly, then go somewhere your business is appreciated.

I like to be friends and connected to the places I do business with. As a retail customer, I'll pay extra to be treated like a human being and made to feel comfortable .

If it was heart surgery I would not want to be buddies and have a beer. BOAT REPAIR IS NOT HEART SURGERY! what a stupid example.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
No but I have been by there...we live locally...to be honest, had a hard time getting the owner to pay much attention to me or be very enthusiastic! What are you having done???

I know another guy in town I would refer depending on the specific job!

Give him the name of your guy in the area. If BUMP is any example of the type of clients Hi Tech has hanging around there, Who would want to go there to get anything done? Reguardless of how good he is.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Like I said...Call Mario if you're in the north l.a./ventura county areas....;):D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Being a new and inexperienced boater, anybody could have taken advantage of me. Jim was always helpful, gave advise when I asked, and always took care of my boat when I needed service. What else could you ask for??

·
Registered
936 Posts
New to cats is a tool.. isnt all his new just paid cash stuff in the classified section?
Yes, I am a TOOL, tough guy...I just like to flip toys as it is fun and a great diversion from "real life"....unlike the author of this thread, I did not ask for opinions on anything....keep your low-level, immature name calling to a minimum or your welcome will be worn out faster than your derogatory terms..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Fair enough. I can appreciate your passion about this person and his shop. I did not pass any judgment on his experience, accomplishments, history or ability. I merely stated that when I went in (not called) I did not get any service, attention or courtesy. I always use local business when I can and was not looking to kick tires or price crunch..just had some legitimate questions about performance upgrades on one of our boats. If I would have gotten past being ignored at the front door, maybe I would have had the opportunity to appreciate his workmanship and knowledge.

Just to clarify. (PS-I hate the mall and Volvos)

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
I seemed to only be able to steal a couple of minutes from this shop as I was trying to figure out my options for fixing some play in the out drive on my Hallett New Gimbal, Add hydraulic steering? All I seemed to get was about 5 minutes of his time, I don't recall the name of the person that helped me...However being in the Service industry (Automotive) you shake a lot of hands and cash out only a few...... Regardless of your mechanical skills/Knowledge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts