Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BBC/tunnel/dual 450's...at lower rpm and cruising speed the boat runs fine..when I floor it to max rpm I get a sputter that sounds like my float levels are set a little low..it tries to run hard but sputters, then tries to run hard..the floats appear to be correct..could the floats levels still be too low or should I look for some other issue..thanks..

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What ignition is in that thing again?
Right now it has a stock dist/points/condensor..you think it is something as simple as the condensor or am I way off..thanks for the reply..

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Could be the condenser. Or the points are shot to hell and bouncing(doubtfull), or the dwell is off big, (very possible), the coil condition and type(very very posssible) the plug gap is too wide, cap and rotor condition, including any moisture in the cap. Ohm rating if the wires.
It doesn't take much for a points and condenser deal to keel over and misfire. Specially with todays gas isn't a help, one of the biggest reason the factories had to go to hi energy ignitions besides the leaner mixtures. Compression at or near 10 to one is considered high compared to points and condenser days. There were 11+ to 1 engines back then, but most had transistor ignitions, or demanded that the ignition system was on the mark.

I seriously doubt it is the carbs based on the "sputter" It in your ignition.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Could be the condenser. Or the points are shot to hell and bouncing(doubtfull), or the dwell is off big, (very possible), the coil condition and type(very very posssible) the plug gap is too wide, cap and rotor condition, including any moisture in the cap. Ohm rating if the wires.
It doesn't take much for a points and condenser deal to keel over and misfire. Specially with todays gas isn't a help, one of the biggest reason the factories had to go to hi energy ignitions besides the leaner mixtures. Compression at or near 10 to one is considered high compared to points and condenser days. There were 11+ to 1 engines back then, but most had transistor ignitions, or demanded that the ignition system was on the mark.

I seriously doubt it is the carbs based on the "sputter" It in your ignition.
It was running fine last weekend and this just came on yesterday...do you think I should just start with replacing the condensor and rotor..or just wasting money..I think I have a spare coil laying around..it's 12/1 and use avgas..thank you..

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change the condenser, they are dirt cheap. Pull the plug gap down to about .030, maybe even .025 and try it again. Damn you do like doing things the hard way:happy:

If this thing has a coil like an Accel Super coil, or a Mallory Voltmaster, you may need a bigger better condenser. Stock type can coil will not benefit from it.
Tomorrow I will change out the condenser (have a black stock type coil) and change the plug gap and take the boat out tomorrow night..I have learned a lot of stuff by reading all of your posts. Your one of the guys that always gives good advise and information...thanks for the help..it is greatly appreciated..

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
I've had a problem with the 450 cfm carbs because of the lack of an accelerator pump on the secondaries-might look there if it ain't ignition related;)

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think he is talking about a bog or hesitation, but more like a sputter he can't drive thru.
Correct..no bog or hesitation if I hit it hard..it only happens after I reach full throttle..then a sputter..

·
Registered
75 Posts
full charge

is your battery allowing full 12v spark? Worn battery starts mis at high rpm and only gets worse from there. Check output,

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
What RPM are we talking about? It could be a simple case of point flutter! In other words the points are floating at a higher rpm rate? Just a thought.M Could also be a starvation issue due to fuel delivery? M

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is your battery allowing full 12v spark? Worn battery starts mis at high rpm and only gets worse from there. Check output,
Battery is always fully charged..full spark..thanks..

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What RPM are we talking about? It could be a simple case of point flutter! In other words the points are floating at a higher rpm rate? Just a thought.M Could also be a starvation issue due to fuel delivery? M
Floats are set right..Not sure about the point deal...just starting having this problem..changed the condensor and redid a couple of spark plug connections and regaped the plugs down to 30 as suggested..going to run the boat tonight for sure..

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
If after you have done all that. And if it is the same! Change the plugs out for a new set and see what happens!

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Runs Good

Took it out last night..made the gap change to 30*, new condensor, cleaned the plugs..adjusted float level again..boat ran hard. Thanks to GN7 and the rest of you for the advise..like I always say "if you want advise on sex, money or boats this is the place." I think the main problem was the condensor. I have never had one go bad..

·
Registered
6 Posts
What distributor are you running? I have a 455 olds and sputters at high rpm I have electronic ignition and was told to put a points distributor cause I can't get enough timing with the distributor that I have. That I don't need vacuums advance either. This is my first jet boat and would greatly appreciate any info.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What distributor are you running? I have a 455 olds and sputters at high rpm I have electronic ignition and was told to put a points distributor cause I can't get enough timing with the distributor that I have. That I don't need vacuums advance either. This is my first jet boat and would greatly appreciate any info.
At the time I was running a bone stock GM dist. while my mag was being repaired...Got the mag back and no longer run the GM dist. Always dealing with some type of problem but that one went away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts