Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Overdrawn
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't seem to pull the fuel after priming. I've ran this set up with out fail since 08. We havn't ran it much in the last couple years. Any ideas... as I need a hot lap real bad. Thanks up front. Older Rat

·
Village Idiot
3,596 Posts
I assume you have oiled the pump well. I might pull 5e front cover off the pump and take a look-see. I might also check the lines and any o-rings to the pump in case you might be sucking air. That is what comes to mind. Lest, I might throw another pump on it to see if it comes alive. Just my thought process. But what do I know?

Paul

·
Overdrawn
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul, yes always have oiled pump for winter. Thing is I ran it in the shop last weekend and it was running weak on one side. So watched some tutorials from Andy at Hillborn. I had to reset the throttle blades and a hex link adjustment as one bank was opening more than the other. I made the 5/16 gauging material that Andy used to set the proper clearance. The pump is wet, then pulled the fuel line to the metering block. I believe there should have been more fuel than there was. A little skitchy about pulling the front pump cover as I lost a pump doing that years ago. I'll dig into it this coming week. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sounds like you're not getting fuel through the barrel valve and back to the tank. You have a block in that system somewhere or the pump needs a full rebuiuld. Are you running alcohol? The fuel lines will slowly degrade and block all the little ports in the injection system if they arent taken off and fully cleaned after each race/lake use. I would take the return line going to the pump from the barrel valve and fill it up with fuel before cranking it over again. The fuel in the line may help prime it. You may also have an air leak on the suction side of the pump going to the tank. Either way, take off all the fuel lines and fittings and THOROUGHLY clean them. Time and older fuel lines will melt a piston in no time.

Make sure your pump is turning, the cam drive slot can get sheared also.

·
Overdrawn
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K 500 we are running pump gas. Pump doesn't have a lot of time on it. I will try the barrel valve input line fill today.
Thanks for your time

·
Village Idiot
3,596 Posts
His remote thurmastat housing makes it harder to see. Looks like fuel bypasses goes to the side surge tank and I wonder of the pump pulls from there as well. I bet the rear tank is the primary tank that then supplies to the surge tank. Based off what I see I would imagine that is what is going on. Then again, I don’t know crap. LOL

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts