Performance Boats Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I personally restored this ERR Northwest Champion, a 1972 Javelin (shortened Jones Starfire), but unlike any other! It will be sold complete ready to cruise or race in the new SE class. Trailer is rebuilt including new axle, lights, and tires' Motor is a 73 sbc 355 with all the goodies. I have one year of labor and fabrication to bring this Al Lapoint 14 foot hull back to life. It has so many inovations it was way ahead of its time like the Ron Jones Sr. multiple angle chines and incredible gull bottom. It's fast and set many records in its day, but most important, this hull doesn't do anything BAD for an inexperienced driver! I personally raced it for one year running 76 mph with a hydraulic cam and an 18 gear in the worse water conditions imaginable. Turn key PRICE; $8500 includes titanium Record brand propellor and extra heads and new chrome Bassett headers! Here is a link to its restoration:

Chargin Charlie - HydroRacer.Net Forums

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More

Triple plate with the center only movable! The boat has been Grand Fathered into APBA SE class. 350/350 HP Motor is fresh, and 'Charlie' has been in storage since it's 2010 restoration except time on engine break in. Has a custom cover, and extra gears

All fiberglass repair was done with Epoxe products and all imperfections hand blocked and recoated to match original color and SpeedCoat. Bottom has been blueprinted and sealed with epoxe primer and everglass glass coating.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Special non-trip chine

Original graphics on entire deck have been preserved, note the v-drive access hatch!!

Largest delam area, repaired with injected epoxe resin, West Systems.

Notice the chine? Here seen in primer with final blocking finished. Box fan supplied me with OXYGEN when repairing all areas of concern UNDER the deck!! This takes a toll on a body! New bow eye reinforcement, stringer wrapping, plywood bracing, etc.

Notice dropped stringer for lower driver seat placement! All stringer hardware holes filled and moved!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Simulated hardwood floor

Hey, it's a race boat, everyone has the usual shiney floors, this is the original AMERICAN wood!!!

Little bit of work here too! Lower motor rails installed for BEEF! Continue all the way forward to v-drive. You can see the seat bracket that is MOVABLE forward and aft for different drivers instead of machine gun drilling the racing seat!

Motor is movable in 1/2" increments, forward and back and all stainless bolts everywhere!

Installed new Basset chrome headers and mufflers, with water lines. Uses very little fuel!! 7 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fresh paint except deck

MR JIM HOOKER, on his way to an ERR victory with other Javelins on the inside track!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Charlie

This is one beautiful boat
I help Boyd with some of the restore on Charlie
It was sure great to have a hand in helping Boyd
I wish I could afford to buy Charlie
this is a perfect SE boat for anyone that wants to run SE:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Still ready to roll

Turn key with small red driving suit and new helmet.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
this sweet ride is turn key and ready to race SE
Thanks Larry for the praise. It did do about 40 miles of action in 2011 as seen in the video. It passed Region 10 tech at Sammamish!
And new video of its recent wins can be viewed on Facebook.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chines

here is another shot of that anti trip chine. Notice the three angles, from very slight 4degree to almost a 45, to 85?? Then the trough looking runner style gull. Kip mentioned that Jeff Gibsons SS One UP new capsule boat has very similar chines!! This is the greatest feature in my opinion and contributing factor to how easy it is to drive hard into and out of turns.

It's the only Javelin with this feature.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trailer

new axle, tires, spring work, new plywood, bunks and rubber cushions, led lights and wiring, appliance cragar looking wheels with dock protectors between fenders and boat.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.