Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take the plunge and buy a new Place Diverter. I'm trying to decide between the Manual one and the Hydraulic one. Is the hydraulic control really worth the extra money? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? And are there any problems associated with either of them?

Thanks.:)hand

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I find the hydraulic diverter is a bit slow for small boats like ours. I feel I have better control with the manual control and I always know its position by looking at the position of the handle. Its a split decision though, some love em and others don't.

~Brian

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Well, since money matters on your project, I would run a manual setup. I ran one for years in a 18'er and never had a problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
This has been argued forever. I like the manual one. I think it's cheaper, simpler, more reliable, and the real bonus you know where the sweet spot is. I think most the race guys have hydrolic, because they cant let go on the wheel and hold there beer at the same time. Oh and they like lotsa buttons and stuff.:)grn

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
This has been argued forever. I like the manual one. I think it's cheaper, simpler, more reliable, and the real bonus you know where the sweet spot is. I think most the race guys have hydrolic, because they cant let go on the wheel and hold there beer at the same time. Oh and they like lotsa buttons and stuff.:)grn
hil:)

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Electric.:)hand

·
Registered
557 Posts
Go manual, use the K.I.S.S. principal. lol
you are only going to need three spots once you find your sweet spot that will be #1. #2 will be full roost, and #3 will be all the way down for reverse.
You will find areas in the lake of large swells, wehre you will want to pull it down a notch or two to plant your nose for a smoother ride, but mostly you will run in the sweet spot. Nothing to go wrong with it...no electrics, hydraulics, pumps, ect.

I've always used them and never seen a need for hydraulics. However, I would suggest getting one with changable nozzles. (great tuning devices!)

Ken

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just ordered the manual one. Actually, it's just the diverter since I have the other stuff, but you get the idea.

I can always convert over to the hydraulic setup at a later date, if I want to. I always thought it would be cool to have a hydraulic reverse bucket too. Is anybody out there running one of those?

$456.73 shipped to my door.:D

Thanks for all the input guys.:)hand

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts

Attachments

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I was messing with ya didn't you? :D
Uhhhhh.........You've lost me on this one. I'd heard something before about electric diverters, but I don't understand how they work. And those pictures aren't very clear. So, I'm still lost.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Uhhhhh.........You've lost me on this one. I'd heard something before about electric diverters, but I don't understand how they work. And those pictures aren't very clear. So, I'm still lost.
Its still a cable actuated diverter, but it has a lift motor on a lever pushing on the cable.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sales seem to run about 50/50 alot comes down to personal preference & how much room you have (or dont) not to mention what your using the boat for I'm personally a huge fan of manual floor controllers for small lake boats, hyd for bigger cruisers and such ,small hyd rams act very quickly ,Just my 02 Tom

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I was messing with ya didn't you? :D
Here's a different style electric one that I came across, but I'm not sure if I would trust this one since the actuator is located outside the boat, in the water.

And this one doesn't look like a Place Diverter, but is listed as a Place Diverter. It looks very strange.

Here's a link to the eBay auction.
12 VOLT ELECTRIC NOZZLE TRIM

:)hand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts