Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was swimming I noticed three holes on the top wet side of the drivers tunnel directly in front of where the drivers seat is on my 85 daytona. There is a fire extinguisher mounted to the top of the tunnel that looks like uses two of the three bolts that can be seen frum under the boat. Surely Eliminator wouldn't have drilled holes in the tunnel to mount a fire extinguisher?? I've been wanting to mount the extinguisher some where different since I bought the boat. Other than bolts what is the best easy to fix the three holes? The third hole looks like the bolt has been cut off from the tip side where it goes through the wood inlay.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Sanger did the same thing with my seats.:|err Put some tape on the bottom and fill the holes with some fiberglass resin.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
While I was swimming I noticed three holes on the top wet side of the drivers tunnel directly in front of where the drivers seat is on my 85 daytona. There is a fire extinguisher mounted to the top of the tunnel that looks like uses two of the three bolts that can be seen frum under the boat. Surely Eliminator wouldn't have drilled holes in the tunnel to mount a fire extinguisher?? I've been wanting to mount the extinguisher some where different since I bought the boat. Other than bolts what is the best easy to fix the three holes? The third hole looks like the bolt has been cut off from the tip side where it goes through the wood inlay.
What size Daytona is your hull?...im guessing it is a 19 considering you are in the jets section?
you would most definitly want to seal it before moisture get to your balsa or wood in the top of the tunnells, i reccoment grinding and glassing, and a finish with Gel coat, but you should be fine with a marine-tex or sea going putty, is there any discoloration in your floors?? (Just in front of your seat) if so the damage might already be done, and you should handle the repair as soon as possible, delam in a boat is not good considering its the Hull that you family enjoys riding in and moisture between laminates can eventually get out of controll, and cost a pretty penny to repair!
Just my 2 cents!
Todd

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
how about using wood screws to attach the seats to the stringers :rolleyes: thats correct straight thru the seat base
right into the stringer, no silicon, no resin no nada..
at least they were stainless.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Marine-Tex works great for small repairs. It is sandable so you can touch it up and is pretty much a permanent fix as long as you do the proper prep to the area. Make sure you sand with an aggressive grit to create tooth and clean well with acetone to get rid of any oils or residue. Then apply and sand to a smooth finish. I did this on my old boat and ran it for 2 years with no issues. It worked great!

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Dave, thats where the factory place diverter was mounted:)hand

I moved over to the side cause when you shifted it up you would hit your hand on the bottom of the dash;)

Fire extinguisher fit there and was a quick access in case of problems, (which on a boat you do not have much time to put out a fire)

Hows the boat runnin?

I do miss her.

Trying like crazy to get my vette project done by August:|err

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I like West System epoxy for any fiberglass work.
It adheres to 85% of original strength where fiberglass resin is only 60%.
It is easy to work with and dries real shiny and smooth.

Flare out the hole top and bottom and put tape or wax paper across the bottom.
Pour the epoxy in from the top and it will work fine.
If the hole is large I like to mash up some fiberglass mat, stuff it in with the resin, and mix it around with a small stick to get it saturated real good.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I like West System epoxy for any fiberglass work.
It adheres to 85% of original strength where fiberglass resin is only 60%.
It is easy to work with and dries real shiny and smooth.
One more for West Systems though I've never used the other products Todd mentioned. Another nice thing about the WS products are that they are tintable and they have a fantastic website with tricks and tech info.

Good luck regardless on what you use and post up some pics.....john

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What size Daytona is your hull?...im guessing it is a 19 considering you are in the jets section?
you would most definitly want to seal it before moisture get to your balsa or wood in the top of the tunnells, i reccoment grinding and glassing, and a finish with Gel coat, but you should be fine with a marine-tex or sea going putty, is there any discoloration in your floors?? (Just in front of your seat) if so the damage might already be done, and you should handle the repair as soon as possible, delam in a boat is not good considering its the Hull that you family enjoys riding in and moisture between laminates can eventually get out of controll, and cost a pretty penny to repair!
Just my 2 cents!
Todd
Its a light layup 21No sign of leaking and the boat is in near new condition. Its a damned nice boat. I was just surprised to see the bolt heads under the boat. The previous owner went through the trouble of removing all the fuel tank bolts and slick coating the back of the boat. The seats use the normal brackets. The holes have bolts through them with factory anodized conical washers on the water side of the tunnel. Maybe thats where Eliminator mounted the original diverter control. the problem is going to be getting the boat jacked up far enough to remove the bolts since they go from the bottom up and even if I cut them off they will still be a inch or so long and have to come out of the bottom. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more for West Systems though I've never used the other products Todd mentioned. Another nice thing about the WS products are that they are tintable and they have a fantastic website with tricks and tech info.

Good luck regardless on what you use and post up some pics.....john
I've only had it to the lake ten times and taken a hundred pics so I should have had it on here a bunch of times I'll see What I can do.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how about using wood screws to attach the seats to the stringers :rolleyes: thats correct straight thru the seat base
right into the stringer, no silicon, no resin no nada..
at least they were stainless.
the seats are atatched to the stringers so I don't know whay there would be three hole one foot in front of the seat directly below the steering wheel.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, thats where the factory place diverter was mountedHey
I moved over to the side cause when you shifted it up you would hit your hand on the bottom of the dash;)

Fire extinguisher fit there and was a quick access in case of problems, (which on a boat you do not have much time to put out a fire)

Hows the boat runnin?

I do miss her.

Trying like crazy to get my vette project done by August:|err
Hey Jason thanks for the input. I was surprised to see the bolts I will have to do something because the back washer is loose. The boat is doing great, still trying to quiet it down since I left the baffles in the lake. I am having a pretty good time with the jet skis. They love the roost. The pump is amazing since I use half the fuel that I did last year with the same motor and cruises 20 mph faster at the same RPM. Did you get the pics I sent about three weeks ago??

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
are the pics hosted on the net somewhere?
if not import them into the (you shot it ) tab above
then once you have the size of the pic you want to post(usually medium) right click on it then copy the properties of the url
then type

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
this is how I'm mounting my seats this time note the angle brackets.
this is a pic from the OLD SKOOL thread. apparently this is how
Eliminator does it now.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Hey Jason thanks for the input. I was surprised to see the bolts I will have to do something because the back washer is loose. The boat is doing great, still trying to quiet it down since I left the baffles in the lake. I am having a pretty good time with the jet skis. They love the roost. The pump is amazing since I use half the fuel that I did last year with the same motor and cruises 20 mph faster at the same RPM. Did you get the pics I sent about three weeks ago??
Yeah I did get those pics you sent, boat still looks great;)

When Irwin capps did the bottom the bolts that hold the fire extinguisher in where checked and he said they were not hurting a thing so we left them in.

Now believe it or not the fuel tanks had the same hardware thru the hull 4 on each side!

When the bottom was done he fixed them and I glassed in the tanks with the new brackets.

Looking forward to seeing those pics at the lake:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts