Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Blue Holley pump is starting to act up...I know there are rebuild kits. The question is, is there actually a motor inside the pump that can go bad, or does it operate on some type of
electrical field? Generally should you replace or rebuild? Runs for awhile then stops,,tap on it a few times and runs for a short time then stops..electrical connections are good..What a week, first the starter and now the fuel pump..

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My Blue Holley pump is starting to act up...I know there are rebuild kits. The question is, is there actually a motor inside the pump that can go bad, or does it operate on some type of
electrical field? Generally should you replace or rebuild? Runs for awhile then stops,,tap on it a few times and runs for a short time then stops..electrical connections are good..What a week, first the starter and now the fuel pump..
Dump it ! your lake trips are worth more than the price of a questionable part IMO :)coffee

·
Registered
230 Posts
Had that prob. years ago, try marvins mystery oil, 3 oz. per 10 gal. of fuel, helps lube the pump and solved the prob i had and this sounds exactly what i was goin through!

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had that prob. years ago, try marvins mystery oil, 3 oz. per 10 gal. of fuel, helps lube the pump and solved the prob i had and this sounds exactly what i was goin through!
I have always used avgas..maybe it is a little dry..did you rebuild your pump or just add oil to your fuel...what type of fuel were you running..

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Holley Blue pumps can be built, but what is your time worth and would you trust it?

IMHO I would install a new one and build the old one to keep as a spare, may save a weekend :)devil

GT :)hand

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I have used a lot of Holley pumps in the past and worked on many. I now use the Mallory Gerotor design. ;)

That said, the Holley pumps have sliding "steel" vanes which are subject to corrosion and rust. If you've had any water through your fuel system this can be the problem. Pull the bottom cover and make sure all the vanes are moving freely. If they are not, or if the pump housing is full of rust and crap, take it apart and clean all the parts. There are kits on several levels to work on these pumps. They're a decent pump, just not real tolerant of moisture (common to boats).

Separate from the lower fuel housing is the motor. Cap and Brush kits are available for these if they are worn out.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have used a lot of Holley pumps in the past and worked on many. I now use the Mallory Gerotor design. ;)

That said, the Holley pumps have sliding "steel" vanes which are subject to corrosion and rust. If you've had any water through your fuel system this can be the problem. Pull the bottom cover and make sure all the vanes are moving freely. If they are not, or if the pump housing is full of rust and crap, take it apart and clean all the parts. There are kits on several levels to work on these pumps. They're a decent pump, just not real tolerant of moisture (common to boats).

Separate from the lower fuel housing is the motor. Cap and Brush kits are available for these if they are worn out.

Had a shaft seal fail on the Mallory yet? Thats fun, I had an issue with a tank vent and those pumps don't like to be pressurized....Good pump though, a lot quieter than the Blue thunders lol

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Had a shaft seal fail on the Mallory yet? Thats fun, I had an issue with a tank vent and those pumps don't like to be pressurized....Good pump though, a lot quieter than the Blue thunders lol

No I've avoided that good fortune so far. :D

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
Every time I see a Holly fuel pump thread I think of Lakesonly in the Avi parking lot during the CBBB. Man that pump had a ride!!!! Funny stuff.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts

Rebuild the Mallory, when you do fill the seal cavity with grease, it will last forever then.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Dump it ! your lake trips are worth more than the price of a questionable part IMO :)coffee
Ill second that motion.. All parts like that to me are desposable.. And typicly if they strand me they end up at the wrong end of the rifle range for some revenge time. So not alot left for rebuilding.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

I had a holley blue lock up on me at the lake and being that there was no sand paper there, we took it out, took it apart, and cleaned the rust off with the sand from the beach, washed everything off reassambled and ran for the res of the year. I have since retired the pump from fuel duty and use it for changing my oil now.

Cy

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had a holley blue lock up on me at the lake and being that there was no sand paper there, we took it out, took it apart, and cleaned the rust off with the sand from the beach, washed everything off reassambled and ran for the res of the year. I have since retired the pump from fuel duty and use it for changing my oil now.

Cy
hmmm...never thought of that!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have always used avgas..maybe it is a little dry..did you rebuild your pump or just add oil to your fuel...what type of fuel were you running..
I just added the oil and it solved the problem. Someone told me to try this 10 years ago and it worked. Ran pump gas, I guess theres not enough lube in the fuel. A friend ran the red pump on pump gas without any oil or additives and never had a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts