Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a Holley carb dble pumper 750 vacuum secondaries and electric choke. It had a gasket kit put into it last year. This year it has a bad stumble off idle until it gets on a plane. Once on a plane it runs great. The boat is a 21ft. Eliminator 460 ford. The boat ran awesome until we got it to powell and it would barely run at all( clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust). We pulled carb off and could find nothing wrong. As a guess i looked on the choke and turned the choke to the lean setting and it was fixed. When we got back to california i set the choke back to std setting. This whole choke vacuum secondaries carb has me ready to throw it into the lake (i'm not a mechanic or very good at tuning a carb). I run a mech. secondaries and no choke holley 750 on my boat and never have any issues.. Anyone have a fix or help? Or anyone have a Holley 750 dbl pumper, mech. secondarie & no choke for sale??:)sphss

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My buddy has a Holley carb dble pumper 750 vacuum secondaries and electric choke. It had a gasket kit put into it last year. This year it has a bad stumble off idle until it gets on a plane. Once on a plane it runs great. The boat is a 21ft. Eliminator 460 ford. The boat ran awesome until we got it to powell and it would barely run at all( clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust). We pulled carb off and could find nothing wrong. As a guess i looked on the choke and turned the choke to the lean setting and it was fixed. When we got back to california i set the choke back to std setting. This whole choke vacuum secondaries carb has me ready to throw it into the lake (i'm not a mechanic or very good at tuning a carb). I run a mech. secondaries and no choke holley 750 on my boat and never have any issues.. Anyone have a fix or help? Or anyone have a Holley 750 dbl pumper, mech. secondarie & no choke for sale??:)sphss
Dump the choke. BTW, Its either a double pumper OR a vacume sec. carb, not both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup i realized what i wrote afterwards, It has vacuum secondaries and is not a double pumper. Is there a way to remove the choke on this carb? What is needed?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yup i realized what i wrote afterwards, It has vacuum secondaries and is not a double pumper. Is there a way to remove the choke on this carb? What is needed?
Just remove all the choke mechanisim, as well as the choke plate and shaft from the airhorn. Plug the vacume port most Holleys have to draw hot air into the choke housing [bi-metal spring & cover] After removing the choke starting a cold engine might be a little harder and the engine will be somewhat 'coldblooded' but if you are having trouble with the choke it just easier to eliminate it rather than screwing with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remove all the choke mechanisim, as well as the choke plate and shaft from the airhorn. Plug the vacume port most Holleys have to draw hot air into the choke housing [bi-metal spring & cover] After removing the choke starting a cold engine might be a little harder and the engine will be somewhat 'coldblooded' but if you are having trouble with the choke it just easier to eliminate it rather than screwing with it.
Does it matter it's an electric choke? Is there any kind of a plate or something i need to put on after the electric choke is off or any other parts i need to get?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
No, leave it open!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
X 2 on the choke ,Carefully loosen and roll Black bakelite choke adj all the way lean till the spring hold the blade open cold Tom

Personally I'd look into a dual feed double pumper , not a fan of vac secondaries

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
hope this isnt too offtopic i am trying to find the numbers off my holley, i wrote down the numbers that you see when you pull off the scoop, holley said those werent the model numbers, only casting numbers. i need to get a gasket kit for it, anyone help?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
hope this isnt too offtopic i am trying to find the numbers off my holley, i wrote down the numbers that you see when you pull off the scoop, holley said those werent the model numbers, only casting numbers. i need to get a gasket kit for it, anyone help?
The numbers will be listed on the front of the air horn .. I dont have a pic right this second, however they are right in front.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sorry for the small "tangent" but I got to show them ! Heres my new Quick Fuels Tech Carbs (arrived yesterday) Been selling these for a year or so Very Nice product never disapointed Tom
PS Sandeggo call Josh he'll help you determine the kit you need

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sorry for the small "tangent" but I got to show them ! Heres my new Quick Fuels Tech Carbs (arrived yesterday) Been selling these for a year or so Very Nice product never disapointed Tom
PS Sandeggo call Josh he'll help you determine the kit you need

Pretty !!!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts