Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we went to Pine Flat lake sunday drove to the dam and back past trimmer then back to the dock shout it off a few times, a 1/4 mile from the dock she quit running. I turned the key off and back on and no fuel pump sound, it's a Holley black electric, get towed in go home turn key on and fuel pump works, Does the pump need a preasure regulator with a return? I have a preasure regulator without return. Maybe i should of put ice on it? thanks for your help......:mad: Mark

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
we went to Pine Flat lake sunday drove to the dam and back past trimmer then back to the dock shout it off a few times, a 1/4 mile from the dock she quit running. I turned the key off and back on and no fuel pump sound, it's a Holley black electric, get towed in go home turn key on and fuel pump works, Does the pump need a preasure regulator with a return? I have a preasure regulator without return. Maybe i should of put ice on it? thanks for your help......:mad: Mark
I've never run the Black pump but if they are anything like their Blue pump the best place for it would be at the bottom of the lake.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've never run the Black pump but if they are anything like their Blue pump the best place for it would be at the bottom of the lake.
X2...switch to a "good" mechanical pump & no more worries of any kind...nothing like getting stuck on the lake cause the elect pump took a dive! :)...just sayin' my .02 cents :) FastRat

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
You probably over heated it. I imagine it's wired directly from a switch on the dash, like the ignition switch? 99% off all electric fuel pump failures are because they're wired poorly. The pump should be on a relay mounted between the battery and the pump, with no less than 12g wire, preferably 10g from the battery to the relay, to the pump. Activate the relay with whatever switch you like. When you run a wire, and probably a small wire, from the battery all the way to the dash, then all the way back to the pump, you've lost a ton of electrical power and the pump really struggles...which over heats the motor, and it quits. FWIW the Holley Black is a decent pump for the $. Dead heading the pump with no return does make them work harder which probably only added to your problem. Wire it right and the problem will go away. -or- it's a faulty pump. :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
As productive as a barrel of monkeys around here................;)

S CP :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Y. FWIW the Holley Black is a decent pump for the $. Dead heading the pump with no return does make them work harder which probably only added to your problem. Wire it right and the problem will go away. -or- it's a faulty pump. :D
Yes they are pretty decent pumps for the money:

They make the Black HP series:

and they make the old style Blue in a "black" series now.

The CP runs two HP 150 Blacks, both are dead headed and they are run off a relay. They do just fine racing,skiing and tubing for hrs straight.

Sound to me he may need a relay.

S CP

·
4GsFloatin
143 Posts
thanks!.....LOL! I am very google friendly, but you never know if each thing you find will suit your own needs...if that makes any sense...

again, thanks!

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Google is your friend

FWIW I use Mercury outboard trim relays kit come with 2 power relays in a watertight plug and marine grade relays bad news about 100 bucks. the cheap way is to go to a car alarm place and buy the relay and socket 20 bucks. Keep the second relay as a spare. Trouble free

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Can someone explain to me the point of using the relay? I've thought about it, and still don't really see the benefit.

Thanks.
Voltage drop........or the lack thereof to the fuel pump. The relay will insure 12 volts to the fuel pump otherwise are you going to run a wire off the ignition switch to run the fuel pump?

S CP

·
Registered
394 Posts
Voltage drop........or the lack thereof to the fuel pump. The relay will insure 12 volts to the fuel pump otherwise are you going to run a wire off the ignition switch to run the fuel pump?

S CP
yes, with properly sized, quality wire ofcourse, and a short 12" or so to ground.

But I suppose that makes sense if you've got the direct power source to the relay.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
yes, with properly sized, quality wire ofcourse, and a short 12" or so to ground.

But I suppose that makes sense if you've got the direct power source to the relay.
You could run a 00 cable from the battery to the dash and back to the fuel pump and probably still see a voltage/current drop. That's part of dealing with only 12v. Instead, with the relay you can run power directly from the battery to the fuel pump and nothing else, via the relay. Nothing else is drawing on that current. Also, the relay is made to handle the current, the typical dash toggle switch isn't. It just becomes another resistor.
:)hand

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Long wires create voltage drop, when the voltage drops, the current goes up and cooks the windings in the pump. Then the pump overheats and stops running.

By using a relay you eliminate the 30 feet of wire running up to the dash thru a switch and then back to the pump.

You now use that wire that was originally powering the pump to switch the relay.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fuel pump relay!

Did what you guys said and installed a fuel pump relay. First turn of the key and WOW it don't even sound like the same fuel pump! Went for test ride in Kings River no problem!!!!! Thanks everyone, you know your stuff.......:D

·
AAARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!
288 Posts
I know this a little old and I am going to show my electrical ignorance but can you just run a fuel pump off of the alternator hot wire? Will that solve the problem and eliminate the need for a relay?

I know this wouldn't work with EFI but it seems like it should with a carb.

Matt

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
I know this a little old and I am going to show my electrical ignorance but can you just run a fuel pump off of the alternator hot wire? Will that solve the problem and eliminate the need for a relay?

I know this wouldn't work with EFI but it seems like it should with a carb.

Matt
The alternator hot wire is hooked straight to the battery isn't it? In which case the fuel pump would never shut off. You'd need to wire in a large diode or a relay to switched power.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts