Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone explain the difference between the marine and stree/race Holleys. All I can find is that there is metering plate difference, and J vent tubes. Can I convert a street 750DP to work well and safely on my mild 454, jet? ry-guy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of running a 750 DP VS that I had on the shelf. Just putting a set of J tubes in and see how it runs this spring. I had it on a P/U with a mild 402 BITD. ry-guy

·
Steve
402 Posts
Is your motor covered? IF NOT, there are many that don't even bother switching out the vent tubes. Unless you boat somewhere the rangers will be looking for it. I've ran many "car" carbs on boats with no j-tubes and never had an issue. All have been on motors that are out in open air, where you can spot a problem before it becomes a big deal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your motor covered? IF NOT, there are many that don't even bother switching out the vent tubes. Unless you boat somewhere the rangers will be looking for it. I've ran many "car" carbs on boats with no j-tubes and never had an issue. All have been on motors that are out in open air, where you can spot a problem before it becomes a big deal.
Yes the motor is covered, just tryin to think safety, so J-tubes and flame arrestor.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My motor is covered. And I have marine 750 vs and it doesn't have j tubes. It has fuel bowl safety dump tube in Venturi. So without the J tubes still hard for someone at a glance to say its not marine "approved" . The flame arrestor still good idea no matter what. K and N make good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kti to convert to J Vent tubes?

I think I have the 850DP (markings:5533B P32 2A). Is it necessary to convert the vent tubes to J-type? Is there a conversion kit? Motor is BB Chevy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I run rubber hose extension on mine about 4'' tall and wire tie the to the air cleaner stud mount, never had one come off good idea for waves and hard turns.

Open engine flat here.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are flirting with things that go boom if you are running this in an enclosed
engine compartment. Sure a lot of you haven't had a problem but obviously it is a problem or it wouldn't be a requirement. Do you have a shielded distributor or a shielded alternator? All you need is a spark and fumes and at best you will just lose you engine cover.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
My motor is covered. And I have marine 750 vs and it doesn't have j tubes. It has fuel bowl safety dump tube in Venturi. So without the J tubes still hard for someone at a glance to say its not marine "approved" . The flame arrestor still good idea no matter what. K and N make good one.
I'm sorry. I have heard this before and I am not buying it. Never heard of a "venturi" dump tube. Love to see what it looks like and how it ties in with the float bowl.
Your carb has no I.D. numbers because the choke horn has been milled off. Did you buy this carb new and know what the Holley list number is, or are you "taking the word" of somebody that told you it is a marine carb? Have you called Holley about this carb. Do you have a list number for this RARE piece?
Personally, I have never seen a Holley marine carb that didn't have J tubes, and I know of nobody that has.
If you have no first hand proof that is in fact an APPROVED USCG carb, and you run it in enclosed engine compartment you may be playing with fire. Literally!

boat_explodes_sm.jpg

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
You are flirting with things that go boom if you are running this in an enclosed
engine compartment. Sure a lot of you haven't had a problem but obviously it is a problem or it wouldn't be a requirement. Do you have a shielded distributor or a shielded alternator? All you need is a spark and fumes and at best you will just lose you engine cover.
Don't forget the starter. A spark is a spark regardless of where it comes from, and ANY fuel vapor is a potential BOMB.... Use the bilge blowers every time or have everyone aboard wear a flame suit...

Ray

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't forget the starter. A spark is a spark regardless of where it comes from, and ANY fuel vapor is a potential BOMB.... Use the bilge blowers every time or have everyone aboard wear a flame suit...

Ray
:))THumbsUp I am no expert here by any means but this is a great point, think its important for everyone to see twice so if you dont read the quote box take another look. This is what usually gets you. Lots of energy in every drop of gas. Perfect example posted by GN7. Imagine having a boat load of kids, Something like that could really tap your wallet for a long time because you wanted to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have several questions.
I have an engine hatch but there is a large opening above the carb like a reverse scoop does this give enough ventilation?

The engine was dyno tuned with the 850 DP and it's totally not a marine carb. Will the engine need to go back on the dyno?
Can Pfaff who built and tuned the engine able to test and replicate exact tune on the carb of I change to a marine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have several questions.
I have an engine hatch but there is a large opening above the carb like a reverse scoop does this give enough ventilation?

The engine was dyno tuned with the 850 DP and it's totally not a marine carb. Will the engine need to go back on the dyno?
Can Pfaff who built and tuned the engine able to test and replicate exact tune on the carb of I change to a marine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuel fumes are heavier than air so it doesn't matter how big a hole you have up top they will always settle in the bilges.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm sorry. I have heard this before and I am not buying it. Never heard of a "venturi" dump tube. Love to see what it looks like and how it ties in with the float bowl.
Your carb has no I.D. numbers because the choke horn has been milled off. Did you buy this carb new and know what the Holley list number is, or are you "taking the word" of somebody that told you it is a marine carb? Have you called Holley about this carb. Do you have a list number for this RARE piece?
Personally, I have never seen a Holley marine carb that didn't have J tubes, and I know of nobody that has.
If you have no first hand proof that is in fact an APPROVED USCG carb, and you run it in enclosed engine compartment you may be playing with fire. Literally!

Yes it's marine approved without the j tubes. Its a list 6361. Made for ford marine engines from Holley. I milled the horn off myself before the research.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
That explains your "research"
First, the 6361 is a 650cfm. It came on 460 installed in trucks, as well as non CGA 351 and 460 jet packages.
It is not listed by Holley as a Marine carb. It was simply installed on Ford engines for marine use. Thats pretty wide open.

You believe what you what to believe. But if you cannot open that carb and see a "internal dump tube" leading from the float bowl, you owe it to your self AND THE SAFETY EVERY SINGLE PERSON YOU INVITE ONTO YOUR BOAT TO FIX THE PROBLEM. Think about the potential personal harm, as well as opening yourself up to on huge liabilty issue if your wrong. Worth the few bucks you saving dodging this?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes the research was conclusive. Call Holley if you need to? I did. There was 2 list 6361 carbs. One was a 650 and one a 780 cfm. Both marine style with a Venturi dump tube. It is unusual carb , I too have never seen or heard of one till I got ahold of good source at holley. So I'm thinking everyone on my boat is pretty safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts