Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a holley 800 dp. the list # is 6213. the butterflies have small primaries and huge secondaries. is anyone familiar with these holleys??

is this carb suitable for my olds 455 with 10-1 compression, 280 comp cam, edlebrock performer intake, and a fresh 3 way grind an my heads(i am guessing 450 horse)??????

some of you know i mushroomed 4 intake valves, thats why the fresh heads!!

i have been told plenty of reasons why my engine sucked 4 intake valves. i am trying not to have this problem again. one reason, lean burn on wot.
i was running a holley 650dp, i was told to step it up to the 750 to 850 range.
so in my infinate wisdome i chose an 800. not knowing much about carbs i bought a spred bore?????????
is this good????
or is this bad???????

·
Registered
696 Posts
i just bought a holley 800 dp. the list # is 6213. the butterflies have small primaries and huge secondaries. is anyone familiar with these holleys??

is this carb suitable for my olds 455 with 10-1 compression, 280 comp cam, edlebrock performer intake, and a fresh 3 way grind an my heads(i am guessing 450 horse)??????

i have been told plenty of reasons why my engine sucked 4 intake valves. i am trying not to have this problem again. one reason, lean burn on wot.
so in my infinate wisdome i chose an 800. not knowing much about carbs i bought a spred bore?????????
is this good????
or is this bad???????
I believe they were for smog applications, and it is a direct Q-jet replacement. It's not a performance carb, but it should work for ya. That 455 probly came with a Q-jet from the factory.

·
ATTA BOY
2,305 Posts
I ran this on my motor for a year. BBF 9.5 to 1 and it worked fine. Ditched mine because the rebuild kit is outragous expensive. It got to the point where it was draining the fuel out of the bowl making it a bitch to get started. Other then that it was a decent carb. Still have it on the shelf at home incase

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,634 Posts
Search some of the car boards. There are a lot of people who love those spread bore Holley's. The only real complaint I have ever heard about them is the float is not externally adjustable on the 6210 (650). Got any pics of it? Is it new or used? That performer intake is setup for both spread and square bore carbs. It should bolt right on. The 6213 is a performance carb. It is not an OEM replacement for a Q-jet.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts

is this good????
or is this bad???????
There is nothing wrong with that carb for your'e app. Get a jet size and squirter size to me and I will direct as best I can and please do it on a P.M. I just sold a newer version 650 spread bore to sandeggo also on the boards and he picked up 5 MPH and it idles like a kitten. If you have questions ask him as to how my tuning works. I do it on a P.M. mode cause I don't want to hear crap from others!!! I have rebuilt and tuned more carbs than most people have seen. M

·
ATTA BOY
2,305 Posts
no kidding, i went to action autoparts today and they want $130.00 for the kit!! went online and jegs wants $80.00

i am just concerned that the primaries will run lean(not enough cfm)??????????

should this be a concern of mine????
I never had an issue with mine. Ran the shiot out of it and it responded well.

You will have plenty of snap on the primary side and it will open up a good on the big side. Its probally gunna work just fine for what your doing:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
power valve

i want to run just jets without power valves.
so there are no suprises, just straight forward!!
does anyone see a problem with this??
i have never ran this carb on my boat!
4165 series, list 6213
right now it has 64 jets and an 85 power valve on primaries,
and 85 jets with a 65 power valve on the secondaries!!
25 squirters on prime and 37 squirters on seconds

any help or knowledge will be great!!

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,634 Posts
i want to run just jets without power valves.
so there are no suprises, just straight forward!!
does anyone see a problem with this??
i have never ran this carb on my boat!
4165 series, list 6213
right now it has 64 jets and an 85 power valve on primaries,
and 85 jets with a 65 power valve on the secondaries!!
25 squirters on prime and 37 squirters on seconds

any help or knowledge will be great!!
Power valves are not necessarily a bad thing. IIRC a good stating place is to go up 2 (Scratch that. It's more like 6 to 8) jet sizes if you decide to block off the power valve. Without having tuned that carb to your application, you are starting blind. I'd check out Holley's site. There is a lot of good basic tuning instruction there.

From Holley:
the power valve selected should be 1/2 the intake manifold vacuum reading taken. EXAMPLE: 13” Hg vacuum reading divided by 2 = 6.5 power valve. If your reading divided by 2 lands on an even number you should select the next lowest power valve. EXAMPLE: 8” Hg vacuum reading divided by 2 = 4 power valve. Since there is no #4 power valve you should use a 3.5.

There still seems to be a lot of misconception about Holley carburetors blowing power valves. Nothing could be further from the truth. Holley performance carburetors built since 1992 have utilized a power valve check system that effectively eliminated this infrequent problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.