Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel pump on my boat is a cheap Mr. Gasket 12d pump.. it is not enough to keep me at 2 psi at WOT.So my question is do I get a holly blue or holy red electric fuel pump?I have a dual carb set up on a 454... thanks guys

·
Registered
462 Posts
Neither. Both of them will leave you stranded very soon.... Get a manual pump.

Holley 130gph
part# 12-454-13

Mine failed on me several times when I had an electric pump. Starts every time now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Manual pump??

Neither. Both of them will leave you stranded very soon.... Get a manual pump.

Holley 130gph
part# 12-454-13

Mine failed on me several times when I had an electric pump. Starts every time now.
I would use a mechanical pump, dont think I want to try the manual pump. lol:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mechanicle fuel pump rod froze?

Lol ya got me
Where can I get one of those Manuel pumps? We dont have thoes on the westcoast.. To be honest I only had the boat for about 3 weeks... it had a block off on the block where the mechanicle pump went.. I took it off and it seems like the shaft did not move.. but I never stuck anything in there to be 100 percent sure.. I found the old mechanicle pump and took it apart and it was all rusted and felt locked up..

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
Electrical pumps are just fine....just run a relay. Have had the CP since '89 it has always had an electrical pump on it.

S CP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will prolly just go with the holly blue with regulator..

Thanks S CP, appreciate the input

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a Mallory Gerotor or Aeromotive pump. Holleys are not at all water tolerant. They work ok as long as they work. Any water through them and the vanes rust and then no pump. The rust then wipes out the seal and they leak or the extra friction burns up the motor. I've used several and learned this several times finally changed to Mallory and that was the end of that problem. Just my preference.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a Mallory Gerotor or Aeromotive pump. Holleys are not at all water tolerant. They work ok as long as they work. Any water through them and the vanes rust and then no pump. The rust then wipes out the seal and they leak or the extra friction burns up the motor. I've used several and learned this several times finally changed to Mallory and that was the end of that problem. Just my preference.
Have you ever had issues with those pulling fuel from
The tops of tanks (uscg approved tanks)? I had trouble getting a Mallory pump to prime unless it was below the tank....so I ended up always using holley's (plural...they don't live to long)

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I've run the same Holley HP that Jon has in two boats and pull from the top without any prime problems.

X2 on the relay (or is that X3?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts