Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! Worst engine asymbly practices i have ever seen!
If you want a good laugh, watch this vidy.
In the begening of the video, the guy said the block was back fresh from the machine shop. If that is the work his machine shop does, i would run,run far away!

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I had to turn it off when he tore the bearings out and tossed then onto the block...too painful.:knockout::eek:mg:

At least it's a sterile environment...as long as the wind don't blow....

·
Village Idiot
3,506 Posts
This is a testament to the small block chevy. How many of them have been hacked together and ran fine for years. I know I have done my fair share of it. There are some practices in there that are a little different than my usual method.

Paul

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
A pro engine builder could scrutinize the video to pieces, but for a shade tree stock rebuild it wasn't all too bad. If the cam lasts a couple hundred miles without going flat, that short block will probably go another 100,000+mi without any issues.

Farmers have been rebuilding machinery with oil and grease for 100's of years, there's just better stuff for the job available now. The simplest thing a shade tree mechanic can do to improve upon this particular assembly is to use appropriate fluids. Assembly lube on bearings, cam lube on lobes, ATF on cylinder walls/piston skirts/rings. And don't be stingy with the assembly lube on bearing surfaces, work it into the wrist pins, anywhere moving parts contact that doesn't have a specific lubricant.

Maybe try to be a little more gentile when inserting the cam in the block. Don't want to damage the bearings by dragging a sharp lobe across them. Screw a long bolt in the end to give you a little leverage and something to hang on to while guiding it in as smooth as possible.

Give the guy credit for checking bearing clearances and ring gap, but he forgot to check (or didn't show) the crank end play/thrust clearance. Assuming end play is within spec and if the cam survives break in he'll probably be a happy camper.

Building a high performance engine that will spend much of it's life at high rpm is an entirely different story though. Had the guy touted about this engine being a 600+hp build... that certainly would have been laughable.

Speaking of which. For a good laugh...

These guys are making 600+hp. :))eek:)) Egregious!

To answer the question at hand... Would I let either of these guys rebuild my engine? No. I can hack my own, thank you very much. :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
A pro engine builder could scrutinize the video to pieces, but for a shade tree stock rebuild it wasn't all too bad. If the cam lasts a couple hundred miles without going flat, that short block will probably go another 100,000+mi without any issues.

Farmers have been rebuilding machinery with oil and grease for 100's of years, there's just better stuff for the job available now. The simplest thing a shade tree mechanic can do to improve upon this particular assembly is to use appropriate fluids. Assembly lube on bearings, cam lube on lobes, ATF on cylinder walls/piston skirts/rings. And don't be stingy with the assembly lube on bearing surfaces, work it into the wrist pins, anywhere moving parts contact that doesn't have a specific lubricant.

Maybe try to be a little more gentile when inserting the cam in the block. Don't want to damage the bearings by dragging a sharp lobe across them. Screw a long bolt in the end to give you a little leverage and something to hang on to while guiding it in as smooth as possible.

Give the guy credit for checking bearing clearances and ring gap, but he forgot to check (or didn't show) the crank end play/thrust clearance. Assuming end play is within spec and if the cam survives break in he'll probably be a happy camper.

Building a high performance engine that will spend much of it's life at high rpm is an entirely different story though. Had the guy touted about this engine being a 600+hp build... that certainly would have been laughable.

Speaking of which. For a good laugh...

These guys are making 600+hp. :))eek:)) Egregious!

To answer the question at hand... Would I let either of these guys rebuild my engine? No. I can hack my own, thank you very much. :D

There is another tool I need, a self torqueing air gun!!!!!

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
I guess the guys running magnetos are still considering that the hot setup.
Perhaps. You'll have to ask 'em. What are you using now-a-days? What's the latest stuff to use?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Perhaps. You'll have to ask 'em. What are you using now-a-days? What's the latest stuff to use?
I know my grandfather used ATF on those funny flat heads things. Life was simpler then. Now I have no idea what ATF to use. Type F, Type G, Dextron, a or B, or Dextron II C, or Mercon? If its a Japanese engine, do use one of the fluids for a Toyota or the Nissan.
I'm guessing if you are building a BBC, you don't use Type F or G. Its just all so confusing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I know my grandfather used ATF on those funny flat heads things. Life was simpler then. Now I have no idea what ATF to use. Type F, Type G, Dextron, a or B, or Dextron II C, or Mercon? If its a Japanese engine, do use one of the fluids for a Toyota or the Nissan.
I'm guessing if you are building a BBC, you don't use Type F or G. Its just all so confusing.

Just buy some of each and make a cocktail out of all of them. Then it doesn't matter what your building, you'd have to be using the proper stuff.....Right??:)eh:)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've seen engines rebuilt under worse conditions that live a long and happy life.

Bad things happen to the best of them that are done right too.

There is some irony here.......
You are exactly right and thats why i strive to try to learn the right ways to do things.
The jury is still out, on whether mine was done right, or not!
If i had saw my engine being treated that way, he would not have finnished the job!
The only irony here is the fact that I did not do the ASSEMBLY:wink2:, myself, as I do every thing! Then I would not have any one to blame but myself, when things go wrong.
Hell I am a backyard hack, myself! I have painted cars, boats and other things, put things together, including engines, that should have been done in a clean enviroment, and had them turn out ok.
It did not bother me so much, that the guy is rebuilding the engine, outside, as it did the banging and ill handeling of the delicate surfaces such as the the cam, crank and bearings, and the non use of assembly lube and dry fasteners.

If you enjoyed the vidy, the guy has more. He even takes you for a tour of the machine shop that did the boring on the block.

How many of you out there lap your valves, with a drill?
It was just entertaining!

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Dirt makes a wonderful break-in compound.:)hammers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts