Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Huntington Beach Havasu
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost 400 hours on my Toon boat with no problems. I changed the plugs and one pump impeller which looked great at 200 hours. I am curious how long this big outboard will run. I do change the oil every 50 hours.

·
Banne'd
2,426 Posts
a whole lot longer than a BBC. 10 years easy. Look at these guy's that do offshore fishing, nothing but O/B's and some with diesels. Those guys put over 1000 hours on the motors befor they repower. And that's why outboars rule.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
a whole lot longer than a BBC. 10 years easy. Look at these guy's that do offshore fishing, nothing but O/B's and some with diesels. Those guys put over 1000 hours on the motors befor they repower. And that's why outboars rule.

Your kidding right. Do you really think that stock BBC power doesn't go over 1000hrs??? I know many guys with fishing/ pleasure boats that have well over 2000hrs on them. Some 3000. I have nothing against outboards, and that Honda motor should run 1000hrs if properly cared for. But to to say a BBc doesn't last is simply false.

Darrell.

·
Stihl Kicking
407 Posts
My boat is a 2006 tri-toon but the motor is one i bought new back in 1985. its an evinrude and every summer i keep thinking that this will be the year i will have to replace it. I have no idea how many hours are on it.. but this is the 3rd boat its been on. :)devil

·
You who rock I salute you
3,207 Posts
I have almost 400 hours on my Toon boat with no problems. I changed the plugs and one pump impeller which looked great at 200 hours. I am curious how long this big outboard will run. I do change the oil every 50 hours.
That outboard has the Accord block in it with super special coatings on all the friction points.

Some of Shuttle boats in Laughlin have the very first of those and the heads have never been off the motors nor the crank dropped according to a driver we talked too that heard it from their mechanic.
10's of thousands of hours.

You'll never wear that motor out if it's never abused.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That outboard has the Accord block in it with super special coatings on all the friction points.

Some of Shuttle boats in Laughlin have the very first of those and the heads have never been off the motors nor the crank dropped according to a driver we talked too that heard it from their mechanic.
10's of thousands of hours.

You'll never wear that motor out if it's never abused.
i agree...most outboards in that power range will run literally FOREVER

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Depends on the application.... in many cases, they don't, and aren't expected to (how long do they last on a jet pump?) .
BBC's and Fords are cheap hp, but for a life at close to full load, I'll take an OB.

Really. There are plenty of 1970's era boats with the original motor. Were not talking HIperf hot rodded big blocks. Were talking stock engines in pleasure boats ect. Big difference. Just take a look or check out some ski/ wakeboard forums. Many have 2-3000hrs on them. I Personally know people that put 300hrs a year on their boats, and rack up thousands of hours.And yes, there are many jackasses that can break a bowling ball in an afternoon.

Darrell.

·
Banne'd
2,426 Posts
Depends on the application.... in many cases, they don't, and aren't expected to (how long do they last on a jet pump?) .
BBC's and Fords are cheap hp, but for a life at close to full load, I'll take an OB.

BINGO!!!! I didn't want to start a fight, but I agree 100 percent. My old 318 is dead and so is my dads old old's delta 88. But my 1938 rude still runs and has never been rebuilt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.