Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice boat I'm interested in. Only thing that makes me shy away is the American turbine pump. I'm super new to all this and would like some feed back. I'm not looking for a race boat but by no means do I want a slouch. Boat is 19' semi v hull with what I believe to be a mostly stock ford 460 with a single carb. Pros and cons on this pump would be nice. By the way I will not be towing tubers or skiers with this boat. Not sure if that makes a different.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
American turbine makes a good pump. See if you can determine which model it is...maybe post up a picture. Some are better than others as far as upgradeability goes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunatley I do not know what model it is nor do I have any pictures. It is on an early 90's boat.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
AT's are good pumps, parts are readily available for rebuilds and/or upgrades from most all the pump guys. Since it's an early 90's boat, do you know if the pump has had anything done to it? If not and depending on previous owners, you may need to do an overhaul on the pump anyway.
I think I'd be more concerned with the condition of the hull, the stringers, floor, seats, seat bases, etc.

The way the economy is going, AT may be the only show in town in the next year or 2.
http://www.americanturbine.com/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some guys list their boat as mint or super clean, this boat truly is in great shape. Has 130 original hours original gel withno stress cracks. Really my major concern was the pump, which after hearing from you guys I feel ok about. With 130 hours should I still look into rebuilding the pump. How do I know if that's what it needs. Whatcan I expect that to cost. Just ball park.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best in the business...Excellent parts,customer service, and outstanding R&D. There is a reason why they r one of the last pump co. out there. They are # 1

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Make sure it really is a AT pump. It could be another with an AT energized kit. If the suction housing says AT then it is in fact an AT pump.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Some guys list their boat as mint or super clean, this boat truly is in great shape. Has 130 original hours original gel withno stress cracks. Really my major concern was the pump, which after hearing from you guys I feel ok about. With 130 hours should I still look into rebuilding the pump. How do I know if that's what it needs. Whatcan I expect that to cost. Just ball park.

Thanks again.
Basic jet rebuild kits start at around $250 , some AT jet have upgraded brgs which raise the cost a little Jet rebuild 101 is pretty simple and theres lots of Tech help available to you as well as from the folks here on the boards Tom

the attached link is a basic tutorial for you to consider
Jet Boat Performance, Jet Drive Repair tutorial

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm new to this forum and have got nothing but great help from everyone.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Sounds like you found the boat we could all dream of. Very rare to find a true gem these days. Good luck on the purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts