Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to every auto parts store and no one was able to test it to see if it is good so I just got a new one.

My question is this.....There is only two wires that were hooked up to the old alt (in the pick orange and purple). I can not figure out where to hook it up on the new alt?

I circled on the pic of the alt's which color wire was hooked and where. Thanks for the help

alt pics2.jpg alt wires.jpg

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
On the new one you only need the one that runs to the starter/battery cable connection. The other wire you have is probably the exciter wire, you don't need it with the 1-wire alternator.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have been to every auto parts store and no one was able to test it to see if it is good so I just got a new one.

My question is this.....There is only two wires that were hooked up to the old alt (in the pick orange and purple). I can not figure out where to hook it up on the new alt?

I circled on the pic of the alt's which color wire was hooked and where. Thanks for the help

View attachment 152365 View attachment 152366
Orange wire goes on the top left 12v lug check and make sure that is your 12V with a meter should be hot all the time the purple is the exciter wire but you won't need it with a one wire alt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct it is not a marine alt. I was told its ok to run an auto one it just will not last as long. Am I incorrect?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Correct it is not a marine alt. I was told its ok to run an auto one it just will not last as long. Am I incorrect?
I will respectively disagree on both those points , Marine alternators have protections built in to avoid bilge exposions and although lots of folks run them with 'sucess' we don't recommend it , equaly important likley is if you hook up the large red lead to the battery circuit and violet excite wire to the "excite" spade on that auto unit you may have a situation where once started your engine will not shut off (even) if you turn of the ignition switch or disconnect the battery in some cases , if this occurs you'll have to yank the coil wire to kill the motor http://img.performanceboats.com/smilies/confused.gif you may need to solder or crimp a radio shack diode to direct voltage in to the excite circuit but preclude feed back out to the boats ignition via the same FWIW Marine approved "one wire" Alternators are available from many of the vendors and sponsors here on the boards Tom

after thought ...Got a hunch the auto unit may have 3 wires (1 large stud and 2 small spades)? in which case the "run on would apply or it could be an automotive self exciting one wire in whcih case it will work sans the saftey issues

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after doing some research online about having an automotive alternator in my boat, I am certain that it is not safe with a cover over the motor. I don’t think that i am willing to save a $100 to risk blowing up and potentially hurting people on the boat. So on that note anyone want to but an Alternator LOL?

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Well after doing some research online about having an automotive alternator in my boat, I am certain that it is not safe with a cover over the motor. I don’t think that i am willing to save a $100 to risk blowing up and potentially hurting people on the boat. So on that note anyone want to but an Alternator LOL?
Can't you return it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i actually bought it over a year ago online to have when needed. So Being that long i doubt i can return it. :angry:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so now that i will be purchasing a new marine alt, any suggestions on which one or how many AMPS i should be getting

Engine info- 454 BBC stock

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I would look around for a place that can test your old alternator for you....it still might be fine

I would take a look at that wire coming from your battery it looks messed up on the end in your picture....bad wire means no charge back to battery!

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
I would look around for a place that can test your old alternator for you....it still might be fine

I would take a look at that wire coming from your battery it looks messed up on the end in your picture....bad wire means no charge back to battery!
Good point.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
you could just have your old alternator rebuilt, if you have a local starter/alternator rebuilder, there are still a few around here in Okieville.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts