Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife was handed her walking papers this morning.......:(:(
She is in the car bus. so it doesnt look good!

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Wife was handed her walking papers this morning.......:(:(
She is in the car bus. so it doesnt look good!
Hope so too, I own a dealership and it ain't pretty from the inside either. It'd be safer to close the doors 5 days a week.

·
Manwhore!!!!!
369 Posts
My wife got layed off a couple months ago. We decided it was a good time to go to school and learn a new trade. Now she,s in nursing school and loving it. Healthcare pretty recession proof. I wish you luck.

·
Boat Nut
550 Posts
Healthcare pretty recession proof. I wish you luck.
Your right. We are a services staff company and I was just at an annual international conference on staffing services. Health care was the only sector for our industry that had double digit growth this year and it's only getting better. Best of luck as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
dam brother sorry to hear the bad news but i also must warn you that one man can not make a differance generally it takes him 4 year to fix what the last idiot screwed up and another 4 to install his ideas so yes a re-election of whoever wins is needed. like any management job you need time to change the way business has been done

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
My wife got layed off a couple months ago. We decided it was a good time to go to school and learn a new trade. Now she,s in nursing school and loving it. Healthcare pretty recession proof. I wish you luck.
Nursing is fairly recession proof although some hospitals have had to cut back or even close down in the past due to econnomic probs.
People who work in private medical offices will have problems, if business or income taxes are raised, because the Docs who own the practices will cut staff to make up for the cost...

G

·
Nursing is fairly recession proof although some hospitals have had to cut back or even close down in the past due to econnomic probs.
People who work in private medical offices will have problems, if business or income taxes are raised, because the Docs who own the practices will cut staff to make up for the cost...
ES,

Help me understand something. You commented above "if business or income taxes are raised, because the Docs who own the practices will cut staff to make up for the cost".

If a business cuts staff and maintains volume, it will increase profit and in turn increase its tax burden, will it not? IMO, seems that if a business doesn't want to pay more in tax, increasing expense makes much more sense than decreasing expense.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
ES,

Help me understand something. You commented above "if business or income taxes are raised, because the Docs who own the practices will cut staff to make up for the cost".

If a business cuts staff and maintains volume, it will increase profit and in turn increase its tax burden, will it not? IMO, seems that if a business doesn't want to pay more in tax, increasing expense makes much more sense than decreasing expense.
They all have their own bills to pay. The docs all have to get the income to their bottom line somehow in order to pay for their own debts...houses, cars, etc. Let's say you make $100,000. Paying 40% in tax will still net you $60,000. Paying a salary of $100,000 nets you nothing. Cutting the employee won't net you the entire salary but it does net you something.

You had to have known this John.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
ES,

I think he is talking about over all costs not tax burden. If he lays off a $200 per day employee and turns that $200 into profit the tax on that will be roughly $60. The $60 in extra tax subtracted from the $200 in new profit still leaves him ahead by $140. This only makes sense he can still maintain volume.

·
Next to this Hottie.
2,234 Posts
ES,

Well, if it cuts into the Docs profits, then he will let go of some employees to get his profits back up, or I guess he could raise prices, either way, I don't see how it is good for the people..

·
Registered
656 Posts
ES,

True. So you lay off the Obama supporter and go buy a new "business" car that equals his pay. Two birds with one stone:p

·
Registered
544 Posts
From somebody who has done it....its called cutting the FAT. In good times alot of US dirty nasty business owners carry some extra weight on payroll, makes it easier when people call in sick, go on vacation or for when that odd ball extra job or jobs come along. But when times get tough, we get LEAN, & MEAN, thus some people that we were carrying get let go. Believe me I would rather have the extra weight sitting around if I could afford it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The last time we had the Dem's running the white house and congress we had 18% interest on house loans, 12% unemployment and in a recession. (Carter years)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The last time we had the Dem's running the white house and congress we had 18% interest on house loans, 12% unemployment and in a recession. (Carter years)
Banner years they were, the Carter people should be so proud. Hostages in Iran, oil embargos. skyrocketing energy costs, record unemployment, runaway inflation, interest rates that were equal with the loan sharks, only difference Guido broke your legs for defaulting. People losing their homes due to forclosures. History is repeating itself. I suppose we still haven't learned from it.

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Know anyone who needs a business manager/controller?
Where? You guys are in IE right?

Need someone in SD here shortly.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
Funny how during the debates he never, ever said how soon all his magic was going to take place, REMEMBER HE SAID 5 MILLION NEW JOBS !!!!!!!!!, WE'LL SEE IF THOSE ARE AT SKILL LEVELS ABOVE "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" !!!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts