Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of this line? Can I ditch it now that I'm putting on my new scoop? Otherwise I'm just going to put a stock style gm fuel pump on there. Sorry if there is another thread on this but didn't come up with anything on the search. Thanks for your help:)hand

·
Registered
836 Posts
What is the purpose of this line? Can I ditch it now that I'm putting on my new scoop? Otherwise I'm just going to put a stock style gm fuel pump on there. Sorry if there is another thread on this but didn't come up with anything on the search. Thanks for your help:)hand
tree hugger vent.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
That hose is required by the coast guard. If your fuel pump fails the fuel goes in to the carb and floods the engine rather than going in to the bilge and blowing up the boat.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
If you have an enclosed hatch...I would keep it. If not get a fuel pump without the marine vent. Blocking off the vent could cause the diaphragm to tear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured. I have no hatch to worry about the fumes. My fathers samurai has the same thing but pours on the ground as the fuel pump went bad before. I will be switching it out soon but wanted to make sure it wasn't something to register vacuum for some sort of a half ass fuel regulator. thanks guys :)devil

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
FEDERAL LAW
183.524 - Fuel pumps
(a) Each diaphragm pump must not leak fuel from the pump if the primary diaphragm fails.

A diaphragm pump is the usual type of fuel pump found on marine engines. This requirement calls for means to prevent fuel from leaking into the interior of the boat or into the bilge if the main diaphragm fails. Some means presently used to accomplish this are:
  • A second diaphragm with a means of identifying failure of the primary diaphragm, such as a sight glass bowl, and
  • A sealed fuel pump hosing connected to the crankcase or equipped with a stripper tube connected to the carburetor.
Automotive fuel pumps are vented. In a vehicle, fuel leaking from a ruptured diaphram falls harmlessly on the ground; in a boat, this type of pump would allow leaking fuel to accumulate in the bilge.
FIGURE 11 - Fuel Pumps, Diaphragm Type

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FEDERAL LAW
183.524 - Fuel pumps
(a) Each diaphragm pump must not leak fuel from the pump if the primary diaphragm fails.

A diaphragm pump is the usual type of fuel pump found on marine engines. This requirement calls for means to prevent fuel from leaking into the interior of the boat or into the bilge if the main diaphragm fails. Some means presently used to accomplish this are:
  • A second diaphragm with a means of identifying failure of the primary diaphragm, such as a sight glass bowl, and
  • A sealed fuel pump hosing connected to the crankcase or equipped with a stripper tube connected to the carburetor.
Automotive fuel pumps are vented. In a vehicle, fuel leaking from a ruptured diaphram falls harmlessly on the ground; in a boat, this type of pump would allow leaking fuel to accumulate in the bilge.
FIGURE 11 - Fuel Pumps, Diaphragm Type
hmm. I thought about this after my last post and thought it wouldn't be that hard to weld a bung onto the scoop tray. I will be switching to electric pumps next season but for the time being I think I will just put a bung on it to the spark arrestor. it makes perfect sence for safety reasons

·
Registered
931 Posts
hmm. I thought about this after my last post and thought it wouldn't be that hard to weld a bung onto the scoop tray. I will be switching to electric pumps next season but for the time being I think I will just put a bung on it to the spark arrestor. it makes perfect sence for safety reasons
Good idea. I did the same thing!!

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Electric pumps vent to....holley makes one with a marine vent or you can get a rotary carter pump that can be used as marine that has no venting. Summit sells a marine and a street version but if you read the fine print on the street....it says the street can be used on marine and its like 30 bucks less.
The 70 is 6psi and the 94 is 8psi and both have -6an. The 89 is marine but there is no diff....
Search Results for carter electric fuel pump - SummitRacing.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts