Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setup has -10 hose currently. If I go up in size to -12 does the reduced resistance make a difference? Will it run too cold or do these systems usually have thermostats?

I'm a former jetboat and outboard guy and hose size sometimes made a big difference in those applications.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I ran 16 in and 2 -12 out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My setup has -10 hose currently. If I go up in size to -12 does the reduced resistance make a difference? Will it run too cold or do these systems usually have thermostats?

I'm a former jetboat and outboard guy and hose size sometimes made a big difference in those applications.

Thanks,

Ken
Are you talking about the water plumbing or the intercooler? I run -12 on all the water line, -16 into the water pump. Intercooler is one -16 in and 2 -12's out. I run Race Aero manifolds and a Lee intercooler.
Most ski race guys run -16 on all the water lines.
I've been told that you want these turbo motors to run as cool as possible, heat and detonation are not a turbo motors friend. There are some out there that reverse cool the motor to get the water to the heads first. I don't know if many guys run thermostats(for water temp), I wouldn't think so.
Mine never gets much over 100 degrees, except for running long periods of time under boost. My idea of "long period of time" is 15-20 minutes, for the ski race guys it's ALOT longer.
You might try running it with the -10 lines and see where you are.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mainly engine water. Here's it's history with me:

Before I even started it the first time, I replaced the water pump impeller. I look at it like a $30 insurance policy. The old one was completely intact but ready to let go as it was cracking.

First time out it ran hot (180 -200 F) after I ran the snot out of it for a few minutes. So I did some digging thinking I may have sucked up some seaweed as our lake has a lot of it. None to be found. I started pulling hoses and found chunks of impeller in various places. They were covered with calcium and look like they've been there a while.

I'll try running it again in the next day or two.

Current setup is -16 to the Glenwood V105 pump. The rest is -10 on the motor.

The intercooler is also -10 for all 3 lines.

Both pickups are on the bottom of the boat.

·
Some guy
3,623 Posts
Mainly engine water. Here's it's history with me:

Before I even started it the first time, I replaced the water pump impeller. I look at it like a $30 insurance policy. The old one was completely intact but ready to let go as it was cracking.

First time out it ran hot (180 -200 F) after I ran the snot out of it for a few minutes. So I did some digging thinking I may have sucked up some seaweed as our lake has a lot of it. None to be found. I started pulling hoses and found chunks of impeller in various places. They were covered with calcium and look like they've been there a while.

I'll try running it again in the next day or two.

Current setup is -16 to the Glenwood V105 pump. The rest is -10 on the motor.

The intercooler is also -10 for all 3 lines.

Both pickups are on the bottom of the boat.
The problem you may run into with a -16 inlet, and only two -10 outlets is back pressure, you need two -12 to exceed the volume of the single -16.

I am relatively sure that many or most of the ski race guys run that way(-16 in, two -12's out), I used to build quite a few of the ski race engines years ago, and in fact "Obnoxious" had that plumbing with the 505 cu in Gentry turbo engine that I ran.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
If you have a lot of seaweed, I would definitely run sea strainers. I ran 16 to sea strn. 16 to water pump 2 10's to motor, 2 10,s out. Intercooler, 16 to sea strn. 16 in 2 12,s out. I agree with Barry, 2 12's to motor all the way thru would be better. I ran a thermostat in mine trying to build heat in the motor and never had a problem but the new build will get big stuff all the wy thru.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes a strainer is on order already.

Now that the line sizes are determined, how should I plumb it?

Currently goes from Pump to each exhaust log....
Through the logs and into the front of the block.....
Out the Thermostat Housing to each turbo housing......
Through the Turbo Housings and out overboard dumps.

Keep in mind that I'm in Michigan and were lucky if the water is 75 degrees in August.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts