Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. Had my first outing yesterday with my new boat. Really have to learn to look at my gages more often. Well when I got near shore, I did a couple bump starts to get my heading straight. Thats when I noticed my water temp was around 210-220. Made it to shore, took a little break. About 45 mins. later took it out and it seemed to run around 170-180. Was told it has a 160 stat in the boat. Also no weeds found in the intake. Is this something to worry about? Boat ran strong, really nothing to compare it to, its my first ever jet boat. Big block Ford, alum. cobra heads, solid roller cam. Mostly worried about temp. Thanks

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hi Guys. Had my first outing yesterday with my new boat. Really have to learn to look at my gages more often. Well when I got near shore, I did a couple bump starts to get my heading straight. Thats when I noticed my water temp was around 210-220. Made it to shore, took a little break. About 45 mins. later took it out and it seemed to run around 170-180. Was told it has a 160 stat in the boat. Also no weeds found in the intake. Is this something to worry about? Boat ran strong, really nothing to compare it to, its my first ever jet boat. Big block Ford, alum. cobra heads, solid roller cam. Mostly worried about temp. Thanks
The water in Mich is still cold everywhere, jets pump a ton of water, you should have trouble getting it to 195 right now. You definately need to look into it............

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water in Mich is still cold everywhere, jets pump a ton of water, you should have trouble getting it to 195 right now. You definately need to look into it............
Any ideas where to start? Hopefully this weekend get it out again.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Whats the plumbing setup? Headers/ logs, O/T or T/T? What kind of pump is it? Does it really have a thermostat?

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
As the old jet boats were built when they were new they didn't use thermostat's at all. Nowadays there are a hundred ways to plumb a boat so we need to know how it's plumbed to go any further.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I'm gonna venture a guess, the stat kit has the spring above the stat missing, not enough pressure differential across the block ;)

GT :)hand

·
riverside
32 Posts
check water valve to make sure its open enough.
160*-180* is not bad when running hard,
however when you run hard for a time and then
slow the boat you'll notice the temp. start to rise
from less water cooling the block(this is normal).

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
check water valve to make sure its open enough.
160*-180* is not bad when running hard,
however when you run hard for a time and then
slow the boat you'll notice the temp. start to rise
from less water cooling the block(this is normal).
Right now in Michigan it would be hard to get it to 180 even after running hard and then idleing............. agreed the temp will jump up about 20 to 30 degree's when idleing after a hard run, however the weather has been cold here all spring, the water temp is only 50 degrees almost everywhere right now. When the temp's soar to 90 and 100 in July Aug. he will really run hot if he's at 220 now after a run.................. gotta be addressed and fixed ......................

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Check the sea strainer for grass, gravel and such, if you sucked up it will be caught there first. Also when the water stops pumping, the temp rises, this being an open system, the discharge is reading the temps. When the engines shut off it heat soaks, warming the water to the block temp. Always let your engine cool down after hi performance runs, this helps cool the engine and oil. Good practice, is to always watch your gauges, doing so will prevent minor problems becoming major problems.

·
Registered
829 Posts
At 95 degress, I have a hard time getting it to 150*. How long has the engine been in without being rebuilt or properly flushed. If the plumbing it fine, then I'd say you have a lot of sand or garbage stuck in the motor and or lines. Even in the hottest days at 110* plus, I've never seen my motor close to 220*.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Assuming it has a STG "jet boat/ double stack/pressure bypassing "T" sat set up" , it should still run consistantly around 160*, most jet boats out there with out that set up will barely get off the cold peg on a hot day. Pictures of the "plumbing" would be helpfull . A jet without the Thermostat setup that runs over 120 to 140 (in warm water and weather) and has no "blockage", restrictions or obstructions could have developing jet pump issues Tom

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Assuming it has a STG "jet boat/ double stack/pressure bypassing "T" sat set up" , it should still run consistantly around 160*, most jet boats out there with out that set up will barely get off the cold peg on a hot day. Pictures of the "plumbing" would be helpfull . A jet without the Thermostat setup that runs over 120 to 140 (in warm water and weather) and has no "blockage", restrictions or obstructions could have developing jet pump issues Tom
That's the voice of experience right there. He's fixed a lot of boat owners problems thru his shop. One would have to ruin many engines to gain that much wisdom lol. First follow Toms recommendations. Then look to see if the genious that plumbed it left any old water flow control valves in the system. If there happens to be any Gate valves remove and discard them as they usually corrode and stick partially or fully closed causing lots of greif. I use ball valves in my systems to control water temp and flow along with a water presure regulator that doesn't restrict flow volume. It's worked very well now for over 5 years without issue and i flog my big inch chev. like the wanna be circle racer that I am every time I go out. haha Good luck with that blue oval.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Mudpumper, I think he means start and kill it a couple of times!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have noticed the same "issue" with my engine (no thermostat). I can Idle at 160 all day, make a long WOT run and maybe get up to 170, then return to idle and see the temp jump to about 180. If I shut down after the hard run my temp will jump to 200-210. I assumed this was just the water sitting in the hot heads. Now if I "plan" to shut down I let it sit for at leat 30 mins before restarting and sending the cold water back through. But on those jet boat occasions when it stalls and won't restart right away the high temps always drop right back down after the water starts pumping through again. I assumed this was normal, does this mean I have a cooling issue as well?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have noticed the same "issue" with my engine (no thermostat). I can Idle at 160 all day, make a long WOT run and maybe get up to 170, then return to idle and see the temp jump to about 180. If I shut down after the hard run my temp will jump to 200-210. I assumed this was just the water sitting in the hot heads. Now if I "plan" to shut down I let it sit for at leat 30 mins before restarting and sending the cold water back through. But on those jet boat occasions when it stalls and won't restart right away the high temps always drop right back down after the water starts pumping through again. I assumed this was normal, does this mean I have a cooling issue as well?
how long have it been doing it?

if you say...eh 5 years or so...I would say no :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
It has done this since I built the engine, and rebuilt it, and modified it, and swapped from logs to headers... you know how we get:)devil. I'll have to see if the rebuilt pump makes any difference this year (if I ever finish:mad:)

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
agreed!

At 95 degress, I have a hard time getting it to 150*. How long has the engine been in without being rebuilt or properly flushed. If the plumbing it fine, then I'd say you have a lot of sand or garbage stuck in the motor and or lines. Even in the hottest days at 110* plus, I've never seen my motor close to 220*.
x2:)devil

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ill tell you EXACTLY whats wrong with your boat but....... you have to change your AV pic first :D

hahaha just kidding, I have no clue whats wrong with your boat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts