Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don,t have any experience with them or even know anyone who has a boat with the Ilmor setup. All my experience has been with Merc. The stuff I am looking at is in the 05, 06, 07 range. Were there problems early on? Are the outdrives holding up? Looking at 625 or 710 hp. Anything to watch for? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,984 Posts
I don,t have any experience with them or even know anyone who has a boat with the Ilmor setup. All my experience has been with Merc. The stuff I am looking at is in the 05, 06, 07 range. Were there problems early on? Are the outdrives holding up? Looking at 625 or 710 hp. Anything to watch for? Thanks in advance.
Amazing powerplants.

I have the 710 and it will shove my 5300 lb v to 90. and it gets 2.4 mpg if I can hold it between 3500 & 4K

I had an early drive problem at 8 hours but it was chalked up to a bad gear. The torque curve being higher up is easier on drives.

At 40 hours - never so much as a hiccup from the engine. came back from a week of lake boating and there isnt a hint of sot on the transom.

There was a bad batch of valve springs once but ilmor traced and replaced everyone of them.

Other than that I dont know of a problem that at least people are talking about.

I love Merc. No bad things to say about them. The ilmor is a different horse.

Id buy again.

Uncle Dave

· Banned
1,074 Posts

· Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks Dave, one I am looking at has the 625 with Teague drive I believe.

That combo should have anvil like reliability.

One guy that I don't know
(but whos comment backed by several well known influential posters) - is claiming 800 hours with just oil and fluid changes.

Its hard to describe the personality of these engines. they sound like a cross between a big block and a ferrari/lambo. Its unique and different enough to be noticed.

They are extremely well balanced and the extra power pulses add to that.

This is very good stuff- all my friends have been impressed, and when running my rig through the mid range and top have HUGE smiles when they push the stick and the boat leaps and howls.

There is only one real problem- the price.

UD

· It is what it is
2,580 Posts
My 625's have about a hundred hours on them. If I had a complaint it would that they are too quiet. I can't even here them running at idle.;)

I recently had one stall going into gear. So I call Imor, (now these are 05's and out of warranty). The tech guy tells me to send him the computer and the throttle plate and he will recalibrate it, flow the throttle plate, and send it back the same day. I also told him I have two motors and one never stalls. He says send them both back and he will give me the most updated program and recalibrate and flow both of them.

I overnighted them on a Wed., had them back on a Friday no charge.

I really don't think there is another engine manufacturer that would do that. I know Merc would tell you to pound sand under warranty, much less out of warranty. They'd tell you their programs are good and you must have another problem with the motor.

Ilmor's customer service is bar non after the sale.:))THumbsUp

· Got Any Pix?
412 Posts
My 625's have about a hundred hours on them. If I had a complaint it would that they are too quiet. I can't even here them running at idle.;)

I recently had one stall going into gear. So I call Imor, (now these are 05's and out of warranty). The tech guy tells me to send him the computer and the throttle plate and he will recalibrate it, flow the throttle plate, and send it back the same day. I also told him I have two motors and one never stalls. He says send them both back and he will give me the most updated program and recalibrate and flow both of them.

I overnighted them on a Wed., had them back on a Friday no charge.

I really don't think there is another engine manufacturer that would do that. I know Merc would tell you to pound sand under warranty, much less out of warranty. They'd tell you their programs are good and you must have another problem with the motor.

Ilmor's customer service is bar non after the sale.:))THumbsUp
That is pretty amazing :))THumbsUp:cool:

· Adrenaline Junkie
92 Posts
My Ilmor's Are Rock Solid!

I have 2007 625's in my 36' Eliminator Coupe. I have 180 issue-free hours on these motors. I too had only known merc, but this boat was already rigged with Ilmor's so I gave them a shot. They have started, idled, accelerated, decelerated flawlessly since owning them. I've changed the oil in them and they just run - fortunately, because I am a computer guy and don't know which end of the wrench to hold.

The sound is unique. The reliability is impressive.

In the 2 seasons I've been running these, there are only 3 imperfections I would have to stretch to identify:
1. Since these are naturally aspirated, they seem to be effected a bit more than a super charged motor. Meaning on a really hot/humid day, I've seen me robbed of 5-8mph top end. With labbed 5 blade 34's maximus props, I've actually seen 123mph GPS on a 70 degree day...but struggle to get to 115mph on an 80+ degree day with northeastern humidity. My boat is 8500 lbs dry.
2. After all these hours on the boat, I had it in for an oil (drive and motor) change this week, and the mechanic noticed that some of the bolts that attach the headers to the block had broken. I called Ilmor and they explained that early Ilmors were using stainless steel bolts to attach headers and under duress, these can snap. They have since replaced those bolts with a newer type that mitigate this problem. My motors are having them put in as I type this. I had noticed no advers effects, and there wasn't any exhaust leak, but am doing it as a preventative measure.
3. Your after market HP improvements are non-existent. If you ever decide you need more speed, your upgrade options are very limited. If you own a 625, you can have Ilmor upgrade you to 710's in place for $16k-$20k per side (yes, I checked). You can't upgrade to their 725hp from the 625 because there are fundamental differences, you'd have to replace the 625's if 710 isn't enough for you (the reason I know this is because I am considering my upgrade options right now). If you were on a merc platform you have a number of after market options like Raylar, Whipple, etc...The tradeoff is the Ilmor reliability...these motors are beasts and you can run them a long time and basically not worry.

As far as drives are concerned, this boat shipped with Imco drives (1:36 gear ratio)...and after breaking a few of those last year running 5 blade props, I have been running Teague Platinum drives with 4 blade props since September of last year and have had no issues with the drives. I have had 2 oil changes since changing to 4 blade props and the Teague drives and both oil changes have been clean and green - no metal on the plugs - Phew!...but sacrified mid range and top end, only able to see 110mph-115mph GPS with the 4 blade 34's.

The motors look great too. They match my boat and with my engine hatch open, I still get stirrings when peaking in there.

So, if you're looking for reliability these are tough to beat. If you're looking to have something that is a little different then the "Jone's" boat, these look and sound awesome.

I'd buy them again....in a heartbeat.

· Registered
2,984 Posts
great post AJ! - I only know of one place that can actually get more from it.

Boostpower

They can get you 800HP engine alone from a gen 3 & 850 with a blown gen 3. It's brutally expensive though.

As the Lavey guys said...UD "put this in and you're done." - Go boating until you wear it out.

Uncle Dave

· Registered
3 Posts
My Ilmor's Are Rock Solid!

I have 2007 625's in my 36' Eliminator Coupe. I have 180 issue-free hours on these motors. I too had only known merc, but this boat was already rigged with Ilmor's so I gave them a shot. They have started, idled, accelerated, decelerated flawlessly since owning them. I've changed the oil in them and they just run - fortunately, because I am a computer guy and don't know which end of the wrench to hold.

The sound is unique. The reliability is impressive.

In the 2 seasons I've been running these, there are only 3 imperfections I would have to stretch to identify:
1. Since these are naturally aspirated, they seem to be effected a bit more than a super charged motor. Meaning on a really hot/humid day, I've seen me robbed of 5-8mph top end. With labbed 5 blade 34's maximus props, I've actually seen 123mph GPS on a 70 degree day...but struggle to get to 115mph on an 80+ degree day with northeastern humidity. My boat is 8500 lbs dry.
2. After all these hours on the boat, I had it in for an oil (drive and motor) change this week, and the mechanic noticed that some of the bolts that attach the headers to the block had broken. I called Ilmor and they explained that early Ilmors were using stainless steel bolts to attach headers and under duress, these can snap. They have since replaced those bolts with a newer type that mitigate this problem. My motors are having them put in as I type this. I had noticed no advers effects, and there wasn't any exhaust leak, but am doing it as a preventative measure.
3. Your after market HP improvements are non-existent. If you ever decide you need more speed, your upgrade options are very limited. If you own a 625, you can have Ilmor upgrade you to 710's in place for $16k-$20k per side (yes, I checked). You can't upgrade to their 725hp from the 625 because there are fundamental differences, you'd have to replace the 625's if 710 isn't enough for you (the reason I know this is because I am considering my upgrade options right now). If you were on a merc platform you have a number of after market options like Raylar, Whipple, etc...The tradeoff is the Ilmor reliability...these motors are beasts and you can run them a long time and basically not worry.

As far as drives are concerned, this boat shipped with Imco drives (1:36 gear ratio)...and after breaking a few of those last year running 5 blade props, I have been running Teague Platinum drives with 4 blade props since September of last year and have had no issues with the drives. I have had 2 oil changes since changing to 4 blade props and the Teague drives and both oil changes have been clean and green - no metal on the plugs - Phew!...but sacrified mid range and top end, only able to see 110mph-115mph GPS with the 4 blade 34's.

The motors look great too. They match my boat and with my engine hatch open, I still get stirrings when peaking in there.

So, if you're looking for reliability these are tough to beat. If you're looking to have something that is a little different then the "Jone's" boat, these look and sound awesome.

I'd buy them again....in a heartbeat.
By chance do you know what internals need to be changed to upgrade the 625 to 710? Im not in a hurry so I thought I would start collecting parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.