Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a 1977 18' tahiti jet boat with a brand new 460 with orginal berkley pump and all new interior. the owner is looking to trade for my cbr 1000. Owner has told me stright up that the hull has stress fractures and from the looks of things it is only on the top of the boat. how important are these to get fixed right away and what kind of a price would it take for someone to fix something like this? and what would a boat like this go for in todays market?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
cracks

The cracks on the top shouldnt give you any trouble i havent seen many old original boats that dont have a few stress cracks here and there, i would get under the boat make sure there isnt any cracks on the bottom thats what would be bad.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
My old Tahiti had many of the same stress cracks that show in your pics. I had some on the sides as well, where the fuel tank came loose and was rubbing on the inside of the sides of the boat. Other than aesthetics, i didn't worry about them other than keeping my eye out for new ones.

·
Registered
836 Posts
first off, to fix all of those cracks you'd need to strip everything off the boat, strip off all the cracked gel down to the hull and either re-gelcoat or paint. its a LOT of labor.

that being said, theres a ton of boats out there that are better platforms than the tahiti. i know because i own one. keep looking theres a LOT of nice nice boats out there for little money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that makes me feel better about the trade. thanks for explaning. from looking at the pictures what would you guys estimate this boat being worth? do you thinks its worth a $5500 trade becaust that is what my bike is worth.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
that makes me feel better about the trade. thanks for explaning. from looking at the pictures what would you guys estimate this boat being worth? do you thinks its worth a $5500 trade becaust that is what my bike is worth.
That seems on the high side to me, especially factoring in removing that name from the back seat LOL. On a serious note, that seems more like a 3k boat doesn't it?

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
3-3500 with a stock 460...different more valuable hull you'd be at what he's asking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts