Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a Taylor jet boat ( 75 Taylor Jet Boat ). How can I check how long the stringers are and how solid they are? From what I've heard Taylors are good boats. I'm going to look at it tomorrow.. Taking $$$ :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
stringers

Is the boat all complete or is a projct style what you wanna look for is the stringers are solid the fiberglass isnt de-laminating frim the wood you shouldnt see and bubble like markings in glass also check the for holes i have seen boats people have changed engines, engine angles and also swapping motor mounts from style to style. if theres a lot of holes drilled that weakens them bad. so becareful if its all completed and carpeted i guess the bst thing is ask the owner hop he is honest and roll your dice.....good luck my friend

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the boat all complete or is a projct style what you wanna look for is the stringers are solid the fiberglass isnt de-laminating frim the wood you shouldnt see and bubble like markings in glass also check the for holes i have seen boats people have changed engines, engine angles and also swapping motor mounts from style to style. if theres a lot of holes drilled that weakens them bad. so becareful if its all completed and carpeted i guess the bst thing is ask the owner hop he is honest and roll your dice.....good luck my friend
Yes it completed, was hoping to avoid a lemon..

·
Registered
14 Posts
throw the dice.. its not like stringers are the end of the world i have personally replaced a few its sure labor intensive but hows the rest of the boat , gel, motor, interior, these are good things to consider it gives u a little insight on how the boat was stored......and if the price is good..... Good luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I think I am going to take the cash and buy it if all looks good. Have y'all heard a Sj pump? Thought that was just a model..?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
what colors is the boat, and were is it located? We may know a lil history of it. I love the Taylor SJ. I have owned several and will always have one. Take a screw driver (hold it upside down) and tap along the stringer and make sure the sound is constant. If it has a covered motor and is in good shape I bet the stringers will be fine. I would look at the subfloor. Get in the boat and stand in between the seat and see if it has any give. Its not a major issue, but its something to look at.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what colors is the boat, and were is it located? We may know a lil history of it. I love the Taylor SJ. I have owned several and will always have one. Take a screw driver (hold it upside down) and tap along the stringer and make sure the sound is constant. If it has a covered motor and is in good shape I bet the stringers will be fine. I would look at the subfloor. Get in the boat and stand in between the seat and see if it has any give. Its not a major issue, but its something to look at.
I have a link in the original post. It's a yellow and white one in the Texarkana area with a 460. It has floor in it so I don't know how to check the stringers or to see if they are 1/4 or full.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
they are not full length stringers if it is factory. The stringers will stop under the back seat. Lift the cushion. Does it have saddle tanks? If it has full length stringers you will be able to see them, if someone hasnt raised the subfloor, which I have never seen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are not full length stringers if it is factory. The stringers will stop under the back seat. Lift the cushion. Does it have saddle tanks? If it has full length stringers you will be able to see them, if someone hasnt raised the subfloor, which I have never seen.
They did stop under the back seat, and motor too. Passed on it though want one with full stringers, and little bit better lookin hull

1 - 11 of 11 Posts