Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realized the D9TE block I am switching to has an oil filter adapter designed for a truck with an oil cooler.
My old block(D1VE) just had a spin on filter.
How am I going to put a filter on this thing?
Am I going to have to put a remote adapter on it?
If yes, please point me in the right direction(part # maybe).
Not a clue how to approach this.

102_1001.jpg

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unscrew the cooler adapter and switch it out with the filter adapter.....
That made too much sense.:)bulb
Ok, I never said I was smart...:)sphss:)sphss:)sphss

The filter adapter on my D1 block looks pressed in, so I suppose I can buy one that will fit this block?
102_0998.jpg

Thanks futs.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
It's threaded on both ends... just need to get it out without dinking up the threads... an inside pipe wrench dealy-o works pretty good. If you wish to just get a new one... I believe they are still available from Ford.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
chevys have a hex cut in the insert to remove them. Im assuming the fords do to. Look inside and see if you can get a allen wrench in there and get it off.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll call Ford in the morning.
Simple enough...

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Early ones [68-69 and maybe 70] had a hex, 7/8" or 15/16" I think.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Ok, I'll call Ford in the morning.
Simple enough...
Actually, not that simple.

If you tell most Ford parts counter guys that you want a filter adaptor for the 460, you'll get the male-to-female version just like the one in your D9TE cylinder block. And when you ask for the male-to-male version instead, they'll tell you that there isn't one.

That's because the male-to-male adaptor wasn't used on the production 460's since 1978 (33 years ago).

When you walk up to the parts counter, ask for a male-to-male oil filter adaptor for a Mustang 5.0 302 small block. It's exactly the same as the one you're looking for. Which year 5.0 Mustang? I dunno, a late 1980's or later, I suppose.

LO

p.s. The OEM adaptors originally had a 1/2-inch round ID. Chances are that you'll get such an adaptor but with a 7/16-inch hex inside in order to facilitate install. I'm not a fan of that smaller dimension but it's just a technicality in the case of most builds. We normally offer a really nice radiussed filter adaptor with a round ID (0.500"+ dia.) and radiussed exit, but we are currently out of stock and don't know when our supplier will have the part again from which we make them.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Paul.
Helpful info, as usual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts