Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AT SD-309 pump. I want to replace the teflon bushings. I removed the bolt from each side of the reverse bucket but the pins won't come out and there is no place to grab them. The trim knuckle has pins which stick into the throat and they can be pushed out. Not these. I don't want to torch it and destroy the powder coating. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Does your nozzle look like this one??
I had the same pump in my old boat and they practically fell out after a few taps with the bolts removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Must be different, cause there's no access inside my nozzle. The pins haft to be pulled from the outside.
Mine had a hole on the inside of the nozzle where the pin sat, I did not put them there myself i bought the boat used so prev owner could of done it but it made it real easy to tap the other out once one was removed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
992 Posts
I have an AT SD-309 pump. I want to replace the teflon bushings. I removed the bolt from each side of the reverse bucket but the pins won't come out and there is no place to grab them. The trim knuckle has pins which stick into the throat and they can be pushed out. Not these. I don't want to torch it and destroy the powder coating. Any ideas?
If there was Loctite on the retaining bolts, some of it will have gotten between the pin and the bucket. Brake cleaner will usually dissolve it. Use just a little in the hole for the bolt and let it sit for a while. Next, borrow your wife's/girlfriend's hair dryer and put some mild heat on the bucket. That should be enough to free up the pins so you can get them to start moving by levering on them through the bolt holes. If not, you may need to use more brake clean and/or more heat. Now you should have enough of the pin exposed to grab with pliers.

The "drill and tap" idea is good, but the pins are stainless and can be difficult. If you think you will ever need to do this again, then it is worth the effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Mine looks similar to the one pictured, but can't tell for sure. No access on the back side of either. I put PB Blaster on them and worked them with small screw drivers, but didn't want to damage the threads. Crap design!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
992 Posts
If the bolts were installed with loctite, skip the PB Blaster and get some brake cleaner. It WILL dissolve loctite. I've used this same method on several diverters and parts of diverters over the last few years.
 

·
21 Daytona
Joined
·
5,291 Posts
the holes for the reverse bucket normally are blind.
normally not stuck that tight, just nothing to pull on.

edit; give Tim Place a call, very helpful on the phone
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,605 Posts
A friend of mine tack welded a bolt to the (stubbornly stuck) pin which gave him something to grab to pull the pin out. After he got the pin out he cut the bolt off and cleaned the pin's exterior up.

I've had luck using a pick through the bolt's hole to manuever the pin out.
 

·
Impeachment!
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
Mine looks similar to the one pictured, but can't tell for sure. No access on the back side of either. I put PB Blaster on them and worked them with small screw drivers, but didn't want to damage the threads. Crap design! Place website is useless compared to American Turbine's, no rebuild info.
Where are you located? I have an auto body tool that tack welds studs for dent pulling. Works perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it off, that was a chore and a half. I sprayed brake cleaner and seafoam all over it and let it sit a couple of days, then sprayed some more. Didn't budge. Then I drilled and rapped each pin for 1/4" 20 thread. Put a bolt in and grabbed it with Vice Grips and vegan hammering away. Still no dice. Got the hand torch and I was able to make slow progress with my brass hammer on the grips. The bolt snapped, but I was able to get it out with the Vice Grips. Marred it a bit, so I cleaned it up with emery cloth and a wire wheel. Used a gun cleaning brass brush on a drill to clean up the dowel holes on the bucket, then cleaned and painted it and cleaned the holes again. I tried drilling a hole in the snapped off bolt, but the hole was not centered in it, so my easy-out snapped off too. Center punched the remains out through the the bolt hole and re-tapped it. Install was easy, added a wavey washer to one side to remove any slop. Many hours later with lots of tools out, it is done and is tight!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top