Performance Boats Forum banner

What top speed makes "performance boat"?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Growing up in the 70's, when the biggest outboard was a 140 Merc and the average jet boat seemed to top out in the upper 50's, breaking 60MPH seemed like a pretty good accomplishment for the average pleasure boater.

Does breaking 60 still mean you have a performance boat? Wake Board boats and family bowriders don't, but a little bassboat with a decent outboard will run 75 on glassy water.

Maybe 60 is still a performance benchmark to some, but breaking 100 is common these days..So what's considered high performance? Hitting 120?

What speed makes a "performance boat" in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
100 plus. How do you consider 60 performance? That won't even mess your hair up. I guess one other answer is whatever speed it takes to keep from being passed by a bass boat.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
100 plus. How do you consider 60 performance? That won't even mess your hair up. I guess one other answer is whatever speed it takes to keep from being passed by a bass boat.
Speed is'nt the only factor, but being able to stay infront of a bass boat is a must. ;) If I could get a "roll bar" boat to run 75 that would be performance. Or an 21' Ultra Stealth jet boat at 80-85 that would be a performance boat to me.

My Open bow at 85 is pretty damn performance yet alone 98 off the bottle and 109 on the juice. ;)

Read my sign line :)grn

Sleeper CP

Big Inch Ford Lover :D

·
Registered
672 Posts
Performance can be good or bad...

Performance boats implies better performance than average, but not necessarily...

What's good performance for an 18' flattie? Or a DCB? Hell, throw a blower on a Bayliner and someone will think it's rocket...

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Shyt, i may get kicked off this site now...your polls starts at 60mph! I would say that every boat is a "performance" boat...poor performance counts too!

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Zip-ties per inch is the only true measure of a performance boat.

RTJas ;)

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I agree with those who say speed is not the main criteria. I know plenty of really nice custom, big block, jet boats, and day cruisers, etc, that will not crack 55mph, but I would still say they are plenty fun enough to be "performance" boats.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
I think it has to have other features as well - custom gelcoat or paint, "trick" engine, stereo, etc. It also has to NOT have some things - rollcage, for example, unless it is actually used to protect your head from rocks.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Performance boat means it's fast. And if ya ain't passin' a bass boat, ya ain't fast. Gelcoat, billit/bling, extra chrome doesn't mean shit. Take a look at most f1 tunnel boats.... not much bling, but lots of performance.

Darrell.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
If performance boat means it's fast, I guess Performance Boats Magazine should not exist since most of the boats within it's pages aren't capable of 100mph.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts