Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think, like I do, that the days of high performance internal combustion engines will be coming to an end fairly soon? And also, do you guys think the new breed of powerplants (whatever they are) will be better or worse than what we have now? As far as use in performance applications.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,090 Posts
Don't get to worked up about it. The current format will be around strong for the next 50+ yrs. Let your grandchildren worry about it. :)

Rather or not the environazi's try to outlaw our recreational power plant's is another story. Could you imagine 15 yrs from now( or less) having to have a "Green Sticker" to put your boat on a government lake or river :((((((

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:)

·
Maxwell Smartass
353 Posts
I just don't think any other powerplant can match the feeling and sound of stabbing your foot into the throttle of a Big Block gasoline engine.... period, end of story. Whether or not some newly invented engine is more efficient, more powerful, whatever, i just don't think it can match that gas burning feeling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cheap Oil

I feel right now we are running on cheap oil, meaning cost,. Within five years Oil will not be so cheap, so thats were we will have the problem of the internal combustion engine, will we be able to afford to run them?

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
I have beenworking on it already = i coverted my bilge blower to a squirel cage - I have five fat squirrels that topless sent me :|err

·
Canatard
3,341 Posts
I think the future will be mini-turbines driving generators with drive coming from electric motors.

... but I think the piston engine in it's present form will continue to be around for quite a few years. Fuels will change and evolve but basic internal combustion engine technology will stay the same. That's not to say slight changes won't be required to run alcohol, which I expect will be the next fuel on the hydrocarbon menu.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
REallyh with all these dcb's i thought a title wave generator was the only resonable solution :):)punch

·
just a member
614 Posts
a guy who is showing some interest in buying my boat told me he is considering putting a bio-diesel motor in it. he put one in his H1. Interesting idea.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
They're running hydrogen cars in Europe. They make water as an exhaust.The hydrogen stations are gonna be as big as soda machines that produce hydrogen right where they are.

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
It is only a matter of when they will be phased out. Usually a good sign of a technology being phase out starts with availablility of parts.

Try and buy Carburator parts for a 1974-1985 GM vehicle? You will find GM has discontinued the parts. You are now left with aftermarket parts, which from my experience are different, if you can find the parts at all.

Every year you see a new type of setup, and soon there after you find the parts not available.

I believe the internal combustion engine will be around for a long time, but trying to keep them running and finding the parts will be a much harder challenge. :mad:

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
It is only a matter of when they will be phased out. Usually a good sign of a technology being phase out starts with availablility of parts.

Try and buy Carburator parts for a 1974-1985 GM vehicle? You will find GM has discontinued the parts. You are now left with aftermarket parts, which from my experience are different, if you can find the parts at all.

Every year you see a new type of setup, and soon there after you find the parts not available.

I believe the internal combustion engine will be around for a long time, but trying to keep them running and finding the parts will be a much harder challenge. :mad:
If there is a need, someone will step up and supply parts. Look at the VW aftermarket industry. As hard as VW of America tried to shut them down, you can still easily find any part you want for the Classic Bugs, Ghias and Busses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts